Anxiety and weight loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone lost an excessive amount of weight during bouts with anxiety? I've lost 16lbs in a month and it's freaking me out. My doctor doesn't seemed concerned she's actually happy as I'm no longer pre diabetic. I think something is wrong. My husband is trying to convince me that all is fine because before I started my meds I cut out a lot of things from my diet and was walking 2.5 miles a day so that's why I've lost the weight, but my mind is like something isn't right. I'm sick. Please someone tell me I'm not alone in this...

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh you are not so alone at all believe me I have always been thin and now I'm real then. Due to anxiety and depression and not wanting to eat the only thing I can think of to tell you is it when you can it often even if it's a handful of Trail Mix pineapple something and take vitamins to keep your system going but I do agree I'm concerned about my weight loss to

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I've been trying to eat something everyday but I'm not up to it and the meds don't help with loss of appetite. I'm overweight so I'm like what is wrong. I sat today and wrote out everything that I've eaten since September 9th, the list was pretty scarce. I told my doctor my concerns she did some blood work and on my follow up went about telling me how I'm almost a perfect patient besides some extra pounds and my bp. Thinking about going to get a 2nd opinion.

• Posted

Oh you're welcome something else I try to do I don't know if it help you or not is every half hour I make myself get up off the couch and do something in the kitchen and while I'm there I try to eat something even if it's a half a banana some whole wheat crackers something

• Posted

also do what I do if somebody comments on your weight loss do what I do and just so you know what I have lost a few pounds because it's I'm eating healthier I'm eating fruits vegetables cutting out sound cutting out fast food and yeah I may have lost a few pounds but I'm healthy

• Posted

Lol... my aunt hadn't seen me 2 weeks and she mentioned my weight. I freaked out crying and thinking something was wrong with me. Then she was trying to assure me she didn't mean anything by it and that I looked good but the damage was already done.

• Posted

Oh I hear you I've gotten comments like that before and like I said I'm thin to begin with and I people don't mean it wrong they're just acolyte you're sick or something and have a right to comment on it and they don't so just tell him hey I'm trying to get healthier so if your shoulders turn around and walk away

• Posted

I'm going to do that from now on. I even hate walking past mirrors now.

• Posted

It can definitely be from anxiety. At the start of my last bout of anxiety I lost 10 pounds in a few weeks and dipped below 100 pounds. But I was eating maybe 1 full meal a day. One thing that helped me during that time was eating almonds throughout the day. I found them easy to digest. Unfortunately all that not eating had other effects on my health that I'm still trying to get over :p just try to eat healthy food and keep exercising !

• Posted

Oh and everyone kept telling me how much weight I lost and how good I looked meanwhile I felt really ill and kept thinking I was really sick so those comments really weren't helping.

• Posted

My aunt tried to assure me how good I looked and I wasn't convinced. It just sucks.

• Posted

I've been eating one full meal a day. And some days nothing more than a bowl of mangoes. I'm having digestive problems as well. Did you have digestive issues as well?

• Posted

Yea I was and am still dealing with acid reflux. I wake up feeling like acid is coming up my throat. I was also going to the bathroom a lot more than normal so I wasn't sure if i was allergic to something or what.

• Posted

I'm having those same issues. Really bad acid reflux. I wakeup and my throat is on fire. I'm constantly running for the bathroom or not going at all. I think I've shocked my system.

• Posted

nai don't freak out...i lost 10lbs in 2 days due to severe anxiety and panic attacks.  was so bad my supervisor noticed when i returned to work.  i've dealt with hypochondria and anxiety for years.  i'm currently dealing with depression and gad and have only dealt with depression one time previously.  somatic symptoms were so bad i started to attribute to diet, sleep and lack of exercise among other things.  long story short..i began jogging 5 days a week and cut out all sugar instantly...cokes...sweets, icecream etc...and above all started to go to bed earlier and was sleeping longer.  i lost 18lbs in a month and likewise...i rushed to the doctor thinking i had cancer due the fast weight loss.  i began taking in more calories i was freaked out.  but in a months time...with proper eating...alternating oatmeal...eggs...for breakfast...and drinking only water...the lbs came off quickly.  subsequent bloodwork reflected the clean diet and exercise as well as i dropped 300 pts off of my triglycerides and quite a bit off of my cholesterol back to normal range.  again, diet was terrible...love my cokes...icecream...fast food...  but to your point, even with the drastic weight loss...improved physical health as i was jogging further etc...i still felt like a mess.  had the aches and pains that come with anxiety and depression.  16lbs isn't a surprise to me.

• Posted

Sounds just like me. I'm dealing with panic disorder, gad, major depressive disorder, hypochondria and ocd. I thought I was having heart issues so I started walking daily mainly to lower my heart rate. I also stopped snacking, drinking at least 2 liters of water a day, and eating a lot healthier when I did eat. When I tracked my walking I walked at least 10 miles a week. I ran to the doctor's worried about cancer because I now have some digestive issues that may be because of my panic and anxiety and she ran tests and was very pleased.. I'm telling her she's missing something. Due to my change in eating I've noticed that I have a gluten allergy and seem to be sensitive to all the bad stuff I used to eat. Mental health is something. The mind can make the body do some crazy things.

• Posted

likewise...i'm very ocd.  i'll watch the same netflix shows over and over...listen to the same album over and over.  also suffer from perfectionism.  but yes, the gad and depression is a lot to deal with.  in retrospect it was a slow progression getting here and never paid attention to the signs.  so now it's a struggle.  i've had every symptom you could think of.  i rushed to the doctor thinking i had MS, lyme, neuro etc...  i'd have tremors when trying to sleep as if something was in my body vibrating.  sadly, my wife complains it's cold in the house and all this time i thought she'd be shivering when i bed with her.  turns out it was me and i was having vibrating sensations thinking it was the bed.  low back pain all of a sudden.  fatigue much faster when trying to workout and sore the next day.  i'm starting to notice joint pain here and there.  fingers with twitch...twitching all over in fact.  it was really bad months ago...sadly you're almost ashamed of thinking of all these illness that suddenly cease as you make the effort and improve.  i had really bad what felt like off balance issues as if i was going to fall but could actually balance just fine...just the sensation of being off balance which has pretty much subsided.  yes...anxiety and depression are brutal.  likewise, i'm amazed at what the body can do when stressed for long periods of time.  i understand how i got to this point...it sucks trying to work out of it as if it should be instant even though my lifestyle for the past 3-4yrs has lead me here. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.