Anxiety Anxiety Anxiety!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

I always say "one of my worst symptoms is ?" I can never finish that statement because when i think i've found the worst, here comes another. The one symptom that stayed true and never left (wish my man had the same concept) is this darn anxiety. When symptoms started happening to me overnight I was having panic attacks daily. Since knowing that a little of what may have been going on with me has eased the anxiety enough to where I can try to ride it out and deal with it. But now I am starting to think otherwise.

Noticing the patterns as to when my anxiousness comes to the surface. Some of the weird sensations send my anxiety through the roof, the side effects from anxiety is horrible, health anxiety thinking the worst is happening to me, the overwhelming sense of fear, the negative and scary thoughts, agoraphobia, and whatever else comes along with this nasty symptom. I'm always on edge and feeling like I will never have any normalcy to my life anymore. I need to go back to work but don't know if I can handle it. I can deal with the crazy sensations but the emotional dealings I don't think I can handle. I don't want to be put on a bunch of meds I don't need, but I just don't know how much of this I can take. I feel terrible running to the ER or docs office for every little thing, but can't help feeling bad for thinking that i'm ignoring something that may really be serious.

I'm at my wits end and feel like I'm stuck. I hate that I will do well for about two weeks and then"bam" it's back again. When I look around things and people in my life haven't changed. I changed and it's so frustrating to feel like I can't seem to get any resolve. I've been anxious all day, trying to get things done yet frightened and don't know how I'm going to feel from one minute to the next. Sorry for such a long rant, but I just feel lost. o see so many beautiful older women that look fabulous and enjoying retirement, family and doing what they like and can't help but wonder did they transition like this? Will this state of mind ever get better?

4 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Aww Jamie, I feel for you. I have a wonderful husband who accepts that I'm not always the same person. We've just had a lovely evening out, sipping wine in the evening sun, but I've warned him that next week I won't want to go out. I yearn to be back home! My period is due the 19th and I'll feel tired, anxious and irritable. He said he's glad I told him. He doesn't do much to help but waits until it's over. Old fashioned and head in the sand!  I too feel

anxious and worry the pain in the pelvis is due to uterus cancer. The breast tenderness lumps/ tender spots are cancer, the heart thumping/skipping is an attack, but if I just rest, breathe and sleep it passes.  I really enjoy my hour a week of Pilates.  It empowers you. I've had all the tests, hysteroscopy, mammogram and egg. All 'normal/acceptable'.. I guess I'm

lucky that my family accepts, if I say I'm 'not in', they go away and come

back later. I'm sure the beautiful older people you see are caught on a good day. I don't want to sound as though I find it easy but accepting feelings and going with the flow helps it pass. My sister goes for 8 mile hikes to escape but I prefer the sofa and a book family permitting. My mum used to say do what you can then sit down,, I never knew what she meant until now. Love and hugs

• Posted

Thank you so much. My feelings are all over the place today. I have noticed that it's always around my period time. I didn't realize at first but now I do. I try to go with it and not add stress on myself but I just get so overwhelmed that I don't know which way to go. My family don't bother me too much when I tell them I don't feel well, but they conments like what's wrong today or you never feel good. I've explained to my partner how I feel at times but he looks at me sometimes like here we go again. It makes it harder for me to deal with. I can't always act normal when I really dont feel well.
    • Posted

Try to explain you need a day or two or three to yourself, if you have to invent a tangible illness do it. Flu, back ache, migraine whatever. It's easier for them to accept and deal with than the not knowing or understanding. A pattern will soon emerge when Jamie needs 'me time' . It's a lonely time but a time to regroup and draw strength from. Rest or walk or run, whatever makes you feel good. Embrace it.
  • Posted

Jamie, Im so sorry. I know all to well about the anxiety. It has been so brutal in my life since peri took over. I finally had enough and caved into my docs prescription of Lexapro.Im on day 6 and hopefully things will get better. It's supposed to be amazing to get rid of the anxiety. I read so many reviews on it and watched Youtube videos of reviews and decided to take the plunge. Everyone says you will feel worse before you feel better and the past few days were not good but today,the anxiety has been less and I seem to be coping much better despite the stress of what is going on in my life right now. It's still early but I keep hoping this will keep me sane thru this peri journy. I will keep you posted on it and let you know how I am doing. I know it's just a band aid but I need relief and can't continue on with the anxiety at the level it has been. Hugs 

• Posted

How did the surgery laparoscopy go? Hope all went well for you. Did the need for anti depressants follow that?
    • Posted

I have a script of busiperone for anxiety that my doc gave me. I'm thinking I'm going to try it. I am desperate and need the help. I tried to do it on my own but I just can't handle it.
    • Posted

My incompetent doctor cancelled my sugery! She had me scheduled for the WRONG procedure and refused to correct it until I do another consult with her in 2 WEEKS!!!!  Forget it! Im finding another doctor.
    • Posted

Snowbell, I hope the Lexapro continues to help you and would say that finding a solution, temporary or permanent, is good as you can have that many more days of feeling better.  Now that I've made it through surgery and am looking back on how severe my pre-op anxiety was for those 3 months, I know I don't want to struggle so much anymore.  I want to be able to be hopeful and handle what needs to be handled without freaking out over every little thing.  We can get through this and I'm going to get help, too.
  • Posted

I too have two week cycles. I know when I ovulate and know that after that I will bloat, be more sensitive, irritable and emotional. My husband also recognises this and discretely moves into the background. Annoying yes, but if I try to be rational, the best place for him!! He's good for the odd cup of tea.   It's been like this for more years than I can count but what can we do but sit it out or have hysterectomy/hrt. I'm 57. Too old for this! 
    • Posted

At this point I guess there is nothing I can do but sit it out. Its going to happen. It's just so hard.
  • Posted

Jamie, anxiety was beginning to ruin my life too and I suffered allthe symptoms you describe. I also suffer from arthritis and fibromyalgia and in March last year I went through a partial knee replacement (new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea, which is the bitthe knee cap runs over). Since 2009 I've had goodness knows how many menopausal symptoms but last year everything came to a head. Doctors told me that everything had overwhelmed me and I was then put on HRT to try and sort out my menopause symptoms. However after 10 weeks on patches I had what I can only describe as "a complete melt down", the panic and anxiety attacks were horrendous. So Doctor took me off patches and I was given Sertraline antidepressants. I must admit that for the first 8 days I thought I was going to die, I've never felt so strange and horrible in my life. But.......then I suddenly felt so much better! Apart from my hot sweats, the rest of my menopause symptoms have disappeared .

I was very, very reluctant to start on antidepressants but I'm so glad I did. I'm told I'll need to be on them for at least twelve months, but if taking one 50mg tablet every morning keeps me sane then so be it. I never want to suffer panic and anxiety attacks again. I felt like someone was taking over my body and I'd no control over my life.

I'm 57 and never ever imagined that the menopause would make me feel like a gibbering wreck. How stupid was I?!!

• Posted

Pam, I totally agree. My first 5 days has been totally brutal on the antidepressant, but today, I saw a small glimmer of hope.I was functional after this morning, and even able to hold it together after getting a very bad phone call. I didn't get emotional, or angry, Im just dealing with it like a normal, rational person.I pray it just gets better and better. So glad to hear that you are doing well on yours. It gives all of us hope! 
    • Posted

I have a script for Busiperone for anxiety. I'm going to have to break down and take it. I really need the help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.