Anxiety Anxiety Anxiety!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

I always say "one of my worst symptoms is ?" I can never finish that statement because when i think i've found the worst, here comes another. The one symptom that stayed true and never left (wish my man had the same concept) is this darn anxiety. When symptoms started happening to me overnight I was having panic attacks daily. Since knowing that a little of what may have been going on with me has eased the anxiety enough to where I can try to ride it out and deal with it. But now I am starting to think otherwise.

Noticing the patterns as to when my anxiousness comes to the surface. Some of the weird sensations send my anxiety through the roof, the side effects from anxiety is horrible, health anxiety thinking the worst is happening to me, the overwhelming sense of fear, the negative and scary thoughts, agoraphobia, and whatever else comes along with this nasty symptom. I'm always on edge and feeling like I will never have any normalcy to my life anymore. I need to go back to work but don't know if I can handle it. I can deal with the crazy sensations but the emotional dealings I don't think I can handle. I don't want to be put on a bunch of meds I don't need, but I just don't know how much of this I can take. I feel terrible running to the ER or docs office for every little thing, but can't help feeling bad for thinking that i'm ignoring something that may really be serious.

I'm at my wits end and feel like I'm stuck. I hate that I will do well for about two weeks and then"bam" it's back again. When I look around things and people in my life haven't changed. I changed and it's so frustrating to feel like I can't seem to get any resolve. I've been anxious all day, trying to get things done yet frightened and don't know how I'm going to feel from one minute to the next. Sorry for such a long rant, but I just feel lost. o see so many beautiful older women that look fabulous and enjoying retirement, family and doing what they like and can't help but wonder did they transition like this? Will this state of mind ever get better?

4 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have never thought my mother to be wise but hearing her say to me, do the most important job first, the rest can wait. Or do a little dusting then sit down for half an hour, make a list of tasks to do and tick them off, never made so much sense. The feeling of accomplishment is very important. Just one tick is an achievement. Make time each day to do a little for yourself. I know I sound sanctimonious but it's what helps me through each day. X

• Posted

You don't sound sanctimonius at all. I appreciate your advice. I need to take more time for myself when I feel like this.
  • Posted

Is it possible you can offer to go to work part time, maybe 4 hours a day. To give you a sense of purpose but not too overwhelming. 
    • Posted

I'm going to look for something part time. I don't think I can handle full time until I get this anxiety under control a little better.
  • Posted

Hi Jamie,  I know exactly what you mean.  Anxiety is one of my most prominent symptoms.  It does seem to be cyclical but it seems like mine is present in some for always...just worse at certain times.   I worry a LOT....my son died in a car accident 8 years ago so obsessive worrying has been added to the menopause anxiety.   Adding the grief to the anxiety has just about put me through the roof...I am honestly surprised I'm not in a psych hospital.  I worry about something bad happening all the time and now I also am suffering from a lot of health anxiety.  I've been to the emergency room several times, sure I was having a heart attack, or because I feel like I'm passing out.  All tests normal.  Then I get another ache or pain and worry that something else is wrong.   My doctor tried me on lexapro but that made me too lightheaded.  He wanted to try me on Buspirone but I declined.  I take Ativan 0.5 mg when it gets bad or when I have to leave the house for anything I take a half a pill just to take the edge off.  It's horrible to feel like this and I sympathize with you.

I'm now having some stomach issues.  Colonoscopy and endoscopy looked normal.  Stomach biopsy showed chronic gastritis probably caused by stress (go figure), since I have none of the other factors that would cause it.

i I have read on this forum several times where women have mentioned a holistic mixture called rescue remedy for anxiety.  I just ordered some and am anxious to give  it a try!

Hang in there...you are not alone and venting to those who understand is a good thing!

• Posted

I'm sorry for your loss. This anxiety is horrible. I have went to the ER so much that I think I have worn out my stay. I just try to hold on. I have Lorezapem that I have never taken. At this point I just may have to. I can't continue like this. It has taken over so much of my life.
    • Posted

Hi....I tried rescue remedy and it didn't really do anything for me. What has helped me is a product called L-Theanine. Its not a drug it is an amino acid that occurs naturally in tea. I live in Australia and you can get it here as a supplement through naturopaths or healthfood shops or online. I take it whenever I feel anxiety really bad and in about half an hour i just feel calmer. It doesn't drug you....and in studies on anxiety they say it has similar affect as xanax...but not addictive like drugs. Google it and see what you think?
    • Posted

I've taken the Rescue Remedy a few times so far and, to be honest, I really don't notice any difference.  My doctor has mentioned Lexapro or Buspar but I really don't want to get into taking those meds.  I'm in the U.S. So don't know if L-Theanine is available here.  Will look it up though.  I take blood pressure, thyroid and cholesterol medication so will have to check for interactions with those.  Thanks for the info!
  • Posted

Jamie, I understand all too well how you feel, and I thank you for this post as your words and those of the good people who have responded are most helpful.  In short, anxiety has been literally a lifelong battle for me, my mom has had it for as long as I can remember and has admitted as much in recent years, saying that she knows she has GAD and telling me she believes my anxiety is behavior that I learned from her.  Unlike the ladies you describe who have made it to the other side and are enjoying life, she has never gotten there because her anxiety is through the roof.  Bottom line:  now that I'm in peri with same problems as she had (panic, hypoglycemia, and fibroids), I want to break the cycle.  I don't want to be her.  We can get out of feeling stuck, I firmly believe that, and I thank you for your support and for introducing this discussion.
    • Posted

Sure thing. I never thought anxiety could be like this. My mom reminded me that I had a small bout with anxiety while going through puberty. So now it coming back out of the blue at the next time of transition is understandable. I really thought I could control this on my own, but its time I acknowledge that I need help. I'm tired of being a prisoner to fear. It's ok to be fearful of somethings as we are all human, but I have become fearful of everything and it's no way to live. I turn away from tv commercials, radio advertisements for anything to do with death or health for immediately get scared thinking this is hapening to me. I'm scared to drive alone, go places alone, be home alone, and even go to work for the fear of something bad happening to me especially when I'm with my kids. I know I don't have control over everything, but I just can't shake the fear and I don't want to ruin their good time. I need the anxiety med and I think I should talk to a therapist. I just don't want it to ruin my life. I still have places I want to go and things i want to do.
    • Posted

Aha - that is how my mom was during peri.  She could not be alone, had to have people drive her places, etc.  I haven't yet reached that level, fearing being alone, but you've likely figured out in my posts that I'm a basket case with health anxiety and doom and gloom, afraid of dying, and like you I often have to mute TV commercials about drugs and diseases.  I do hope the medication helps you, please let us know how that goes... I may be trying that path soon as well after I have my next medical consultation.

• Posted

Good Lord Jamie! Your post described me to a T!!! We will get through this. Hope it goes away soon. If we can be aware that it is a symptom and not US it seems to help a lot. I'm right there with you on this one. Hang in there, I know you are. Me too, I'm trying:-)
    • Posted

Hi Lisa,

That is the thought I hold onto. We will get through this. I just don't want to settle into thinking this is going to be my "new normal". I don't want to get used to living with these symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.