Anxiety attacks and hormone changes

Posted , 6 users are following.

HI all, I am new to this forum. I am a sufferer of GAD (General Anxiety Disorder) and also think I am in Perimenopause. (waiting on my doctor to confirm) Saw my Gyno last week who says "yes, you may be in peri but you are not at meno!"  Umm thanks Doc. I have had Anxiety off and on for the last few years with the tipping point August 3rd where I crashed and have been trying to fight my way back out since then. I had a partial hysto at 33 years old and still have my ovaries. Anyone else get panic attacks in their Perimenopause?  I am 44 now and lost my Mom a few years ago so I can't ask her when, how hers was etc..  Thanks XX

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes i have my share of anxieties and panic attacks since i have been in peri. 

I am on a new medication called paxil 5mg starting at and i take ativan for anxieties and i am on two blood pressure pills and my thyroid pill and my pepcid and my vitamin d3 and multivitamin and metformin for diabetes 

You should talk to your doctor about your anxieties and see if she can put you on anything 

• Posted

Susan,

I am on Citalopram 20mg for anxiety and have Lorazipam for panic attacks. My thyroid is fine and no BP or diabetes issues..  I have been on Citalopram for 5 weeks now and seeing a big difference already. Lack of sleep is a killer though and feeling "warm" not hot flashes.. just warm. . Not sure if thats from the Citalopram or the new changes in my body!    XX

• Posted

Its probably from the body changes and the menopause. I have been sleeping a little better than before but the acid reflux is really bad and i take 20mg twice a day just want that to get better 
  • Posted

So sorry Robin,

hormones can cause havoc with some women twisted making life unbearable

I suffered from panic attacks in my twenties so I know what they're like AWFUL!!!! luckily I grew out of them

Haven't had many medical problems since but this peri-meno syndrome has just about driven me nuts mad..................................................

Moody, angry, unpredictable, I really don't know how I have carried on working during such an unstable period in my life

Try yoga for the anxiety attacks and approach people who can show you how to meditate (I know but it works) and then there's EXERCISE wink

Nite hun xxxx

• Posted

MrsMerm,

Panic attacks are the worst!  I had them before and then they were gone...now they decided to come back!  Mood swings, crying, (I was never a crier) so thats huge for me! 

I was off for 2 weeks when I got hit with this this time. 

I just adopted a rescue dog last week (5 year old) so I am looking at it as she is rescuing me and I am rescuing her! I need the companionship. So I am getting lots of exercise now with her in my life.  I may give yoga a shot again in the future. Tried it at work with a group that does it regularly and I was not a fan. 

Thanks for your response!

Cheers, Robin XX

• Posted

Maybe I do have a moody type anxiety thing going on, today I became extremely upset/tearful cry and once I start I can't stop, crying that is....

there are angry outbursts sometimes at friends and family mad and low moods

hang in there though and do try YOGA again please wink

look after that poor doggy xxx

• Posted

Thats how i have been Mrs Merm 

crying, angry, outburst, anxiety, moods all over the place 

i am taking a little bit of paxil with my ativan and i am on two blood pressure pills seems to have cut down a lot

• Posted

Anxiety was the first peri symptom I experienced. It came out of the blue and then spiraled into panic attacks. It took me probably two months until I figured out it was a perimenopause symptom. Every ache, pain, or weird feeling now makes me have such bad health anxiety. I was never like this before. I can't wait until this stage passes.
  • Posted

Hi Robin,I m 46 in peri and suffering anxiety,panic attacks,aches and pains,tired all the time and nausea/lack of appitite,mrs mermaid has mentioned meditation,I do guided meditation on you tube,I ve found the honest guys ones to be the best for me,it's not a cure but it really helps me yo get over the panic attack.You re not alone and as the ladies have said this site is brilliant x
    • Posted

Thanks Fudgeybear, helps knowing what works for others! I think this group is a great help! Xx
    • Posted

Dear Fudgeybear (love that one), what an ace alias cheesygrin

anyhow just wanted to say that as I'm having such an awful day here, and for no particular reason, somebody nice wanted to meet up today and feel too awful to be bothered, it's really hard to explain these feelings, up down, feeling I want to crawl into a corner away from everybody......................

I want someone to rescue me (but how)

I keep telling myself if I didn't have to go to work it would be easier, this is total nonsense of course because I think this (work thing) is the only thing that makes me motivate myself, otherwise I might just  choose to vegetate

all for now and so sorry for moaning neutral

• Posted

MrsMerm,

I think for me work is a big part of keeping me going as well. As much as we hate it.. lol

Today is a bad day for me also! The air pressure is horrible here and I had a migraine last night and woke to some anxiety. Took the dog for a walk and felt a panic attack start.. (the adrenaline rush feeling and the heart rate increase) I was able to get it in check pretty fast this time! Within 30 seconds it was gone. Now I just feel like crap again. I made it into work  1.5 hours late.. My boss is understanding of my anxiety and I did text him early morning to let him know it was a bad day! 

Some days it would be easier to just stay in bed and b*tch and moan about our stat but really that does nothing to help us out! 

I keep telling myself ... I GOT THIS!  

Hope your day gets better! XX

• Posted

Hi Robin,

thanks, I feel so unmotivated like a couch potatoe, everything is such an effort, new HRT drug hasn't helped at all eek

hope the rest of your afternoon goes well

MM xxx

`

• Posted

Are you taking anything else with the HRT? I have heard of people taking B vitamins etc.. This is all new to me but I am hoping my Gyno can figure out exactly what I need to get me back to me! 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.