Anxiety bad when at the store

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello, 

Does this happen to anybody else? 

When I go into the store I feel fine, maybe minor dizziness - but as I start walking through the store I srart feeling like I'm going to really pass out. I get spacey (like almost run into people and stuff), I just feel like a heart attack, seizure, or something horrible is coming on. My legs get shaky I get weak and hot. Does anybody get this? I'm scared its a serious illness and not anxiety because it feels so weird. I feel like people think im on drugs or something because I think my anxiety shows. I'm writing this from in the car of the store. I left my mom inside. I needed  to sit down. I wish I could just have a nice shop with my mom like everybody else in the store seemed to be doing. Do you think it's anxiety or something worse? I'm going to try to go back in - wish me luck 

5 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Definitely anxiety!!! Bright and fluorescent lights are known to be anxiety triggers!! I can't stand them!
    • Posted

Never knew that, but it makes sense. Any place I go to with fluorescent lights my anxiety heightens. Makes since why im terrified of on of my universitys bathrooms now ( has horrible florecent lights. Thanks for the reply!! smile 
    • Posted

I own a business with fluorescent lights but it doesn't bother me. But really lately it's been happening when I go into grocery stores. It's scary. Been happening more and more.
  • Posted

The best way I deal with this is to push the cart. That way your hands are busy and your minds on pushing the cart.. Good luck you can do it xxx
    • Posted

I used to get dizzy pushing the cart in the beginning of my anxiety but now I also get comfort in pushing the carts. I feel like it gives me support. Thank you!
    • Posted

I'm already pushing the cart and it doesn't make things any better.

• Posted

defo anxiety....and thinking that you are going to faint (when you arent) makes your feelings worse. you have someone with you...that is a good thing..you have done what i used to do.....i used to think...i can always walk out....just leave my shopping and walk out...into fresh air and less people take deep breaths. well done for coming out......and calming down a little and well done for going back. even though we all know our symptoms arent 'real' and that its our minds making us feel like this and the chemicals our body releases....we still think we are dying...are seriously ill.....beacuse half the time we cant believe that its our own bodies giving us these anxiety symptoms!....and that they can get so bad. you ahve done well....breathing and trying to keep calm...and telling ourselves....to try and calm. the other week i had to leave a shopping centre as i just wanted to burst into tears and could feel myself starting to get panicky...this was because all i could see was happy smiling people doing their xmas shopping....and i was thinking.....why cant i be happy...smiling and enjoying it like them!. but today...i did the same thing...and didnt cry etc etc....i knew what i was going for and my partners young daughter was with us....and it all distracted me and when i felt myself starting...i just sat down for a bit and went through my list! hope you have managed ok. x sorry its a long post.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply! I gave thought I was going to pass out countless times during my anxiety, but I never have - yet each time it really feels like im going to and it's like my brain, even though it knows deep down i won't pass out won't accept that I'm not. I'm glad IM not the only who goes out and comes back in.  Sorry you're sufderibg through anxiety too, but I'm selfishly kinda glad I'm not alone. It helps tons when I get reassurance from other anxiety sufferers the symptoms. I was sad Christmas shopping too because you're roght, everybody did look so happy and like having tons of fun. Usually I love Christmas shopping but this year I hated it. A year a go I never thought is be here. So happy you were able to go Back and didn't cry. Kids make everything bettersmile hope you got all you're shopping done and have a great Christmas! Don't apologized for the long post! I enjoy long posts. If you ever need a chat or reassurance feel free to private message me! 
  • Posted

Hi whitney grt t hear ftom u, yes i get this 90% of time wen i go shopping n its bloody awful ive exactly same symptoms as u described. It is pure anxiety just do in small steps tats wat i do if i go alone its twn times worse for fear of sonethibg happenin wen im on my own.. Ur rite go out to car n sit down n if u feel up to it go back in again the bst way to face ur anxiety is to put ourself in situations like tat whih make u uneasy n face it full on and say t urself no im fibe its anxiety only and i can ivercome it.  It takes ages well wit me it is im suffering over one yr now n stil try t convience nyself ive somethibg up with my heart!!  U wil b fine misus just do in ut own time 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply! Thanks for the encouragement and support. Sometimes I feel like the employees will think I am up to something if I go out then come back in. But of they ask, I can tell them. I often try to put myself in those situations like you said because the more we are exposed the better we get but sometimes it scary and hard. So sorry to hear you're still suffering. Hope it's better than it used to be and I hope you get better soon. Feel free to private message me if you need to chat. 
  • Posted

Dear Whitney,

Yes, it's hard for me to shop, too.  It does help to hold onto the cart, too.  It kind of stabilizes me.  Also, I wear my sunglasses, no matter what kind of weather is outside, because of the fluorescent or bright lights.  In addition, I stay out of any kind of scented aisle--not only perfume, but laundry detergents, soaps, even the bathroom (or make it a very quick trip), etc.  Also, many aisles are very colorful with lots and lots of items--it gets so overwhelming.  Also, overchoice.  This world is just so overwhelming, so when I find a shampoo, for example, that I like I keep buying that one and go right to that aisle and get it.  Being surrounded by the multitude of choices makes everything worse.    Sometimes I do feel better and I'm not so hampered by the overchoice situation and enjoy looking at everything.  But, if I feel a panic situation coming on, I just stop immediately and try to calm down.  And, yes, as others have said, know that you can get out if you need to.  Fresh air really helps.  Also, I only go to stores where I know the customer service is helpful.  If anything disturbs me emotionally, whether clerks are hard to find, unknowledgeable, rude, etc., it sends me into a tailspin and gets overwhelming.  There are certain stores that I stay out of now because they have all of the above--fluroscent, scents, colors, overchoice, poor customer service.  Plus, I tell myself that I look ok to other shoppers because I'm not freaking out externally.  But, other shoppers may also be having problems; you just might not be able to tell.  So, it's not always true that everyone is a happy shopper.  All the best to you.  It helps to know that we're not alone.

• Posted

Thanks for replying! The cart is like my comfort blanket. I've noticed when I go to scent aisles I get lightheaded even more. Yesterday I was perfume shopping and smelled a few perfumes and I am sure that messed me up for the rest of the night. I felt horrible. Also florecent lights are miserable. I wish there was a dim light cozy light store smile a store for people with anxiety that had comfy seats all over to take breaks as needed and only other anxiety people could shop there so you didn't feel judged my non anxiety people (a girl can dream right). But no matter how bad it gets I force myself to go so I don't also get agrophobia. I often wonder if anybody else in the store has bad anxiety, it's actually make re coming than I think. The other day I was freaking out at tg cash register, starting to tear up and I apologizrd to the cashier and said sorry I have anxiety and she said she did too! I would have never guessed. Happened awhile ago too with a bookstore clerk. So we aren't alone! If you ever need a chat feel free to message me
    • Posted

I am pushing a cart, plus have sunglasses on and it doesn't seem to make any difference. However, I am sure it wouild be worse if I didn't have the cart and just had my regular glasses on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.