Anxiety bad when at the store

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello, 

Does this happen to anybody else? 

When I go into the store I feel fine, maybe minor dizziness - but as I start walking through the store I srart feeling like I'm going to really pass out. I get spacey (like almost run into people and stuff), I just feel like a heart attack, seizure, or something horrible is coming on. My legs get shaky I get weak and hot. Does anybody get this? I'm scared its a serious illness and not anxiety because it feels so weird. I feel like people think im on drugs or something because I think my anxiety shows. I'm writing this from in the car of the store. I left my mom inside. I needed  to sit down. I wish I could just have a nice shop with my mom like everybody else in the store seemed to be doing. Do you think it's anxiety or something worse? I'm going to try to go back in - wish me luck 

5 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh, one more thing.  I have migraines, too, so all of these situations are killers for migraine people (even if we don't have the actual headache at the moment).  For me, these things can start the migraine cycle which includes anxiety and panic.  I don't always have them together, but many times I do.  So, the anxiety/panic may lead to a migraine or the migraine may lead to anxiety/panic.  For me, it's best to take precautions with the above things so that neither one starts up.
    • Posted

That sound terrible. I'm sorry you get migraines. I've had pretty bad headaches but not migranes. What a horrible combination. Sorry you're dealing with both. I'm telling you, they need stores for people with anxiety smile. With cute puppies to pet when yiy start getting anxious. Hehe 
    • Posted

That makes sense to stay away from fragrances,

I also have migraines, but the wierd ones that don't hurt - just screw up your balance and fog up your vision. I agree, finding your triggers is key!

• Posted

Anxiety!! the store is just your trigger, like mine is going to my local mall so i dont go there. I get fearful of people thinking im on drugs or going crazy because I have attacks.
    • Posted

Definitely a trigger. I'm afraid I will pass out and people will judge me. I also feel like people will think  on drugs or crazy. I know how you feel. So sorry you're going through this too sad
    • Posted

But that's what we are here for smile for help and support each other smile you'll over come it!
  • Posted

I have the exact same problem -- I just came back from my lunch hour at a department store, and had to leave.. I get shaky legs - feels surreal sometimes and I'm afraid that others notice me like i have a neurological problem or something. 
  • Posted

Hey this sounds like a kind of social anxiety crowded spaces and lots of people I used to be like that but I'm not too bad now if I know I have a escape like for example if im on a packed train I get really bad because I know I'm trapped in that situation and cannot escape and then you start to think if I start to feel bad I can't get away from it which in turn makes you panic I've had anxiety for about 10yrs now and only last 3-4 years I've managed to deal with it without meds or anything I find distractions work well for me I never go anywhere without my headphones as music seems to be the thing that works best anything that stops you from thinking about it I totally understand what you mean though if you know you will feel bad in certain situations you will automatically start to panic when you go into them regardless of you actually thinking about it or not it's how you deal with it that makes the difference it took me years to properly find my triggers and longer to find out how to start to deal with it but there is light at the end of the tunnel
  • Posted

Darling, serious illneses don't strike exclusively in the stores :D. It could be the chattering around you... You probably feel the same on a bus, airport, shopping centre etc.
  • Posted

This happens to me - and it's been happening more frequently lately. I usually try to make sure I have a bottle of water in my bag. Whenever I have anxiety attacks, water is my go-to: either drinking or splashing on my face.

I was at a store recently with my husband and we weren't even 10ft in the door and I made him turn around and we left my anxiety was so bad. Got some water, ate some food and I was ok after that.

Good luck. I wish you all well with your anxiety. It's awful living this way.

• Posted

I get this alot I felt alone in it , feel like when you see everyone on street shipping I look at them and think why can't I be like them I started citalopram 4 months ago for my panic attacks and haven't helped at all if anything made them worse,everytime i go into a store or bright lighting I freak out and don't feel like im in my body it's a horrible feeling , I know how you feel I always seem to think I won't get better and it will never go away sad
    • Posted

Kimberly I feel the same way you do. I ask myself the same question " why can't I be like everyone else". I was just recently diagnosed with anxiety 2 months ago and was given Zoloft and xanax and was referred to see a psychiatrist to keep my treatment going but haven't been yet. The Zoloft (sertraline) has helped some cause I have not had that many attacks since taking it but I still get dizzy everyday especially while walking. I dread going in stores or out to eat with my husband some days cause it get dizziness so bad that its hard for me to walk around in the store or sit down and enjoy a decent meal. I havent been able to work and still not sure if I can anymore so may look into applying for disability but not sure if I can get that with anxiety. Hope you feel better soon. Take care.
  • Posted

I felt the same one time going to a water park , nothing but a bunch of pppl and all eyes on me idk if it was cause my sexy bathing suit or if i looked like i was about to panic so i left out to get fresh air and i didnt want to ruin anyones fun so i went in the car and cried my eyes out on the phone with my friend saying how i just wanna be happy and i hated feeling like this , i cant have fun nothing i felt like complete sh*t 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.