Anxiety bad when at the store

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello, 

Does this happen to anybody else? 

When I go into the store I feel fine, maybe minor dizziness - but as I start walking through the store I srart feeling like I'm going to really pass out. I get spacey (like almost run into people and stuff), I just feel like a heart attack, seizure, or something horrible is coming on. My legs get shaky I get weak and hot. Does anybody get this? I'm scared its a serious illness and not anxiety because it feels so weird. I feel like people think im on drugs or something because I think my anxiety shows. I'm writing this from in the car of the store. I left my mom inside. I needed  to sit down. I wish I could just have a nice shop with my mom like everybody else in the store seemed to be doing. Do you think it's anxiety or something worse? I'm going to try to go back in - wish me luck 

5 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I get dizzy when walking across store parking lot, it's kind of scary. I'm afraid of falling down or something

• Posted

I sit in my car any where from 10 to 30 minutes dreading walking across the parking lot - I try to find the closest space possible but I'm frozen and breathing hard trying to work up the courage to get out of the car.

It's not being in the store - it's the crazy anxiety of walking anywhere. I can walk just fine but my legs and arms feel week, huge anxiety just thinking about walking. Once I'm inside I'm Ok. 

Any thought of having to be some place at a certain (especially work) time or having to go to a store - the thought of walking just puts me in a state of panic - breathing hard and sweating all the way until I get inside.

• Posted

It just started happening to me when I’m walking around in the store especially if it’s a big store my anxiety triggers I feel my heart racing and I’m breathing hard feeling like im going to faint I rush out to my car until I calm down and leave 
  • Posted

I have the same issue. I can be feeling pretty good when I first go in... not 100% normal, but as I go through the store, I feel the anxiety rising and I get the urge to run out of the store without my stuff thats in the cart! I MAKE myself be calm enough to get through the check-outs. WHAT IS THIS?
  • Posted

Your not alone, totally happens to me all the time.

I try to listen to music off my phone while grocery shopping, which helps me defocus I guess.

Remember to be concious of your breathing, you could be hyperventilating a little which will cause the dizziness.

• Posted

You have the power to over come these feelings.

You need to distract your thoughts, as soon as you stop thinking about your anxiety rushing through your body the sooner it will go.

I some times sing to my self, suck on a lolly pop, wrap ellastic bands round your wrists and snap the m on your skin, or all three at once lol.

I was once in store and feeling terrible. Unknown to me a friend id not seen in years came up behind me and poked his fingers in my back and grabbed my neck .." give me your money" in a rough voice he said. For a split second i froze, he turned and hugged me and we both laughed. My anxiety had completley gone.

Now this is obviously a situation you dont want repeating for real but the abililty to distract and remove your anxiety is possible.

• Posted

hello, how awful for you to feel like that, but i to feel similar, i go days and am ok then out of the blue i feel weak shaky, a bit dizzy, and its scary, i know,blasted anxiety is a awful thing, and it comes on when least expected, are you on any meds, i am on mirtazipine, it helps a bit with the sleep, although the more i sleep the worse i sometimes feel.i dont think you have a bad illness, its probaly anxiety, like the rest of us here.see doc, he may be able to give you a med to calm you, i wish you luck and good health, take care.xx
  • Posted

I have had this before when I'm under a lot of stress in my life. Then my anxiety creeps in heavy. When in public I feel the weak legs, light headed, dry throat all gets worse the deeper I go into the store away from the exit. Once I'm coming back to the front of the store to checkout I feel it all subsiding. Because I know I'm leaving I guess.

• Posted

Not anxiety. Dyes. Whatever is in the air in clothing stores, big box stores, and some supermarkets, it makes my skin clammy and I feel I'm going to pass out. Not lights; just dyes (and maybe formaldehyde?). Once I get outside or into another store type it goes away. I hit on the formaldehyde because I once went into a motor home for sale that had been closed up in the hot Texas sun and nearly passed out when the door opened. Lots of formaldehyde. You're not weird, just sensitive to chemicals.

• Posted

I’m getting this seriously bad to the point I can’t go out and just sit indoors cause I know it’s going to happen if I go out, I can’t deal with it! 
    • Posted

I’m getting to that point as well have you found anything that has helped you yet?
  • Posted

This post came up as I am sitting in my moms car outside of Kohls googling "why do I have a panic attack every time i go shopping?". Tried to christmas shop just now. 2 minutes inside and i got so dizzy and short of breath that i took a half an alprazolam straight no chaser letting it dissolve fully on my tongue 😖 to try n fight it. No such luck. Got dizzier and hot and cold flashes. Felt wobbly. Almost passed out and had to get the eff outta there in a hurry. Happens in grocery stores, walmart, department stores and a slew of other random places and situations. 13 years of panic attacks so far and it never ceases to be terrifying. In my head, Every time is the time thats gonna finally kill me. Not ideal. Guess Im finishing my shopping on Amazon.

• Posted

OMG I HAVE THIS SAME FEAR. I feel very nauseated & anxious. I always feel lile something bad is going to happen is everyone is going to see it.

• Posted

It sounds very much like anxiety, there is so much going on around you in a supermarket that for some people it all gets too much. When you feel like that try to take deep breaths in through your nose for 4 or 5 seconds and then very slowly out through your mouth, this should calm you down. Do it for as many times as you feel like you need to. Hope this helps xx
  • Posted

I work at a grocery store and just started to notice this phenomenon in myself. The lights are so bright and yes with the waxed floor, it makes me feel dizzy. Since I stock shelves I need to be steady on my feet. I went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Meclizine to take when I feel dizzy. It helps with that but I still feel weak at times and like I'm going to pass out and the shaky feeling in my arms and legs. I'm not anxious about being there. I know my duties and like the people I work with, it is a small town so I know many of the patrons. I do have Migraines on occasion, but not often. Why does this keep happening?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.