Anxiety causing nerve pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please note: had every test under the sun from pain killers to MRI. Have suffered for so many years. Paid thousands privately.

Ok this is what happens, a build up of stress in my life over a period, a "EVENT", then Bang, Anxiety kicks in. Then my shoulder muscles contract and I get referered pain to my hands/pain accross shoulders and the anxiety keeps going and it gets in a circle. I have tried the CBT route and does help but I am past this now.

Clonezapam helps, but makes me doppy, pain killers do nothing, Diazapam maybe takes the edge off at 2mg. Had anti D's, Amitriptlin and pregapentine.

Pain lasts for around 3 months then if I am lucky it carms for a few months, I eat well, do all the things I should be, I am 41 and I want my life back.

When the anxiety isnt there I have back pain and some referred pain which is managable. Cant go on...

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

do you know what triggers it?
    • Posted

I have a diary, seems to be sleep loss, sometimes alcohol, stress then a event. My marriage was very abusive so the reactions stems from that tried therapy, tried everything I have two young boys who need a dad, right now simply my digestion firing up after eating is giving me pain it's terrible truly terrible
    • Posted

Do you currently have a counsellor or a therapist or someone who is trained to help?
    • Posted

No tried that last year plus how do u stop a automated reaction
    • Posted

First accept what is going on. Anxiety can be debilitating. If you have no other evident based illness you need to accept this for what it is to begin to conquer or manage it. You can retrain it through repetition. Focus and disipline They do brushing and bio feedback and diet changes for young kids.  Many kids with sensory processing disorders end up with horrible anxiety. They over stimulate fast.They have many centers for children but very few for adults. I have only found bio feedback and found it very useful. When stressed, over stressed muscles spasms and tighten that just one of a ton of symptoms. The ones you focus on and fear will be the ones to cause the most doscomfort. Massage and bio feedback might be very helpful for you. Bio feedback is when they hook you up to machine to teach you proper breathing and how to get your body to a calmer level, evident based its not talk therapy. That would be seperate doctor. Many just dont have the energy to focus on lifestyle changes, or acceptance and run to pills for quick fix. Most find it isnt a quick fix. Some it does work well. They have diets for inflammation, heart smart diets and keep well hydrated. Constantly stressing and spasming your muscles will cause muscle soreness and pinched nerves..how could it not. If you sat down and made a fist and released for an hour your hand would be extremly sore and take a while to heal why do you think your other muscles should be an exception? Think about that. but the symptoms are not the cause, thats the effect. Its real. You can slowly gett all this under manageable control. You just need first to accept it for what it is, if you can find a place to do bio feedback..do it and see if that helps (it cant hurt), find a place to get regular messages and get in a healthy diet and make it your lifestyle. Be patient with everything, life has a lot of stresses.feel better and good luck.

• Posted

Thanks mine is a build up of tension the a anxiety reaction I do accept it but it leaves me with the pulled muscles and nerves, will look at bio
    • Posted

what do you mean? 

Do you mean automated like you have no control over it?

If so, treatment like CBT can really help

• Posted

Really? Confused as when I looked at cbt I thought it was about controlling the way you think
    • Posted

but that should help and change the way your body reacts to things, right?
  • Posted

Try some therapy it is probably psychosimatic
    • Posted

it just seems, stress tightens the muscles and give a ache a normal person could deal with, add the anxiety and its terrible.
    • Posted

I know I get tense with anxiety and that causes muscle straincheesygrin
    • Posted

really ? I havent ever found anyone else who has the same thing ? I have spent years being put though tests causing extra stress....
    • Posted

Yes I get it all the time.

But anxiety is a strange illness I was sure I was ill and then had loads of test done and its all psychosimatic.

It may be something completly different that is causing you pain

• Posted

ok let me break it down a little:

1. Lost sleep, stayed up till 12, up at 6

2. Drank alchol

3. Had some stress

4. Had a larger stress event

BANG, my world ended, I can see nothing but black, I am in the midst of it. I cannot see out.  I googled psychosimatic but didnt quite get it

• Posted

Ok I dont know what your pain is like so as I said in my last post anxiety can cause muscle strain from being tense

If your on medication you should be drinking alcohol.

I dont think your world ended coz you are talking to me now.

Insomnia is another anxiety symptom but it is also a depression symptom.

I think you should go back to doc get reviewed and maybe consider therapy CBT is a cheap first step therapy there are better ones out there.

Anxiety also strives from stress and fear

Stay strongcool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.