Anxiety chest pain.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm 27 year old male that's quite fit & healthy i do take tablets for depression have done for 8years.

I have recently been experiancing chest pains, I started to worry about them and got all panicky and anxious now I keep thinking I'm going to die of a heart attack or cardiac arrest! I've been to doctors and they run some bloods and ECG's and they all came back fine I asked for a chest X-Ray but the doctor refused as he said I'm too young to have heart troubles. I just feel so down and I hate being on my own now as I think something terrible is going to happen to me! And I've lost all interests in life at the moment like my hobbies and things I enjoy doing I just can't seem to be happy because I'm constantly worrying about my heart! Has anyone else felt like this? I also enjoy running but I haven't been going as I'm scared I'm going to drop dead on my runs!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi shane.. sorry to hear that your going through this. It is a classic anxiety symptom, the more anxious you get the more you will feel it, so its a awful circle! My therapist told me it takes 3 weeks to break a habit...so if you like to run go for a short jog everyday! The more you do it, the less anxious you will feel...also you will burn up some of the anxiety! I would trust your doctor on this one. Also keep your mind busy... i know its easier to say than to do! Keep a diary of all the times its happened and what you were doing and thinking at the time.. then at least you can look back at it and remind your self each time it IS anxiety and nothing more sinister...hopefully over a few weeks it will put your mind at ease...good luck 😊

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words Kelly! Really appreciate it!
    • Posted

Hi shane ... for this one time google ALL anxiety symptoms and click on the link for over 100 symptoms... it will literally tell you every symptom and its a long list! Thats why a diary is good.. once you have had the symptoms you can get a handle on it and no when its anxiety or something else 😀

• Posted

Hi Shane, I have had chest pains on and off for years. Mostly I have learnt to live with them because I understand they are a manifestation of stress and anxiety, but I still have times where it gets so bad I think I am going to die. Those thoughts are part of having a panic attack or extreme anxiety and I have to tell myself that too even though they are terrifying to experience at the time. Sorry I can't be of more help but I do understand what you're going through and I'm sure plenty of other people on here do too!

• Posted

I can't understand why all of a sudden it's just come on tho I was fine 2 months ago! Then I got chest pains and worried about them and it all started I had a month of hell feeling soo down and worried then it had gone and I felt normal again then I started to get pains again and I just went down hill from there! 😒

• Posted

Shane I worry over stuff like that and had a similar experience but I was sent for a check on my heart ( probably because I'm 62). It turned out to be avid reflux which strangely gives some people chest pains . Have you had any indigestion?

• Posted

I don't normally have indigestion but lately I have been getting a sour taste in my mouth and regurgitating some days it's not heart burn tho because there is no burning sensation I feel tired and drained all the time with worry I'm a completely different person to who I was 2 months ago soo upsetting just feel dead to the world!

• Posted

I can totally releate to this I'm scare to do any excersise at all incase of heart attack or something serious I'm ok until I have to think about it and go oh no my breathing them I have to gasp n yawn to get a breath and swallow so much air. I constAntly feel my pulse Aswell it's so horrible

• Posted

It's a crawl feeling just wish there was an easy way out! I just can't understand why all of a sudden it's come on I'm very happy with life and how it's treating me so why would i be suffering anxiety! 😩

• Posted

Hi Shane, I had my first panic attack out of the blue about 18 months ago and went to see the doctor.  He did blood tests and said I had a B12 deficiancy so have been getting treated for that.  Then about 3 months ago I had another one, and have felt so anxious since.  I too do not know where it came from or how to stop it.  Some days I will be fine during the day when I am in work however I have started waking through the night and also have chest and shoulder pains which I am convinced are the start of a heart attack.  I have spoken to my doctor who has referred me for therapy but i understand there is a long waiting list.  That is one of the main reasons why I joined this forum,  it is good to know that I am not alone.  I too wish there was an easy way out!
  • Posted

I would ask for a second opinion. Your doctor should not be denying you any test at yr age. You can get heart problems at any age. He has a duty of care.

He may feel after yr bloods and ECG came back normal it's not worth it, but just to yr mind at ease he should allow to have the chest xray.

See another GP in yr surgery. I do it all the time lol

• Posted

In the past 8 years I've had 3 ecg tests a oxygen test a asthma test and some test where they put all gel on your chest and rub something over the chest and heart but didn't no what that test was. It's strange when I go out and get dunk my mind doesn't think of breathing or chest issues at all but the consequences of doing it is horrifying. Just fed up of yawning to catch my breathe

• Posted

Try to ignore it keep yrself busy that was the advise I got from my GP. I used to go every week cause of breathlessness in the end he told me not come back to him for 6 weeks. It was a wake up call but it worked.
  • Posted

Hi Shane.

Try and trust the ECG resultsvand get past this .. as you say its robbing you of all the fun and happy things in life.

It is the thought pattén that has you trapped in a cycle. each time yourvworrying and thinking about it , It is feeding the anxiety and the cycle begins.

Go for that run.. Feel the fear and do it anyway.

Try doing some research on how to change your thought pattern when these symptoms occur.

Then use the skills to get it under control.

It's difficult to master and it doesnt happen over night but with practice it gets easier.

xx Good luck and i hope things turn around for you soon. xx

• Posted

Hi gill thanks for your kind words I really appreciate it and it's made me see some

Light at the end of this dreadful tunnel of fear but I still can't understand why as 2months ago I was 100% fine then the chest pains started and it all went down hill from there! 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.