Anxiety disorder and balance

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am curious to know if anyone elses balance has been affected by GAD? This is a particular cross I have had to bear when my GAD is at it's worst. Also, at such times, I find sitting still difficult insofar as I tend to not be able to control my head. It's so embarrassing and distressing. I feel like a nodding dog. It strikes out of the blue and it really upsets me. Various tests found nothing amiss and the condition was found to be a manifestation of anxiety disorder.

Anyone out there suffered the same symptom? It would be comforting to know I'm not the only one to have a visible sign of GAD. My worst experience being in the supermarket queue once and overhearing one customer whisper to another, " That woman's drunk!"

I was devastated and went home in tears

Not that it matters but I'm teetotal!

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your not alone Helen, I get really bad balance issues with my anxiety, I also get very dizzy, I get a pain at the back of my head left side and that's it, it effects my balance, feels like I am walking on something soft which then makes my anxiety worse cos I think what's wrong now!

Have you had your head checked out at all and your eyes and ears? X

• Posted

I get a burning senstaion top of and one side of my scalp, sigh sad I also feel as though the ground beneath me is soft.

It sucks, doesn't it? Ah well..onwards and upwards

• Posted

Uh-uh! And so out of balance is also another manifestation of anxiety disorder! That is how i've been feeling for more than a month now. I thought it was just because of my eyes...or ears.

As i've said in my other discussions, i am 80% in terms now with my disorder. Lately that i've noticed this balance issue.

Yeah Helen, being in that situation makes one feel unproductive. I, for one, can't go out alone in fear of falling down unconscious. And even if i have my husband with me, clinging at his arm seems embarrassing coz when he needs to reach on something, my whole body follows suit.

I have an appointment with my EENT next weekend. If the result is normal for both my eyes and ears, then it would really be my GAD

• Posted

Thank you for helping me! Let me know how you go on at the ENT. I keep my fingers crossed for you smile

• Posted

I always worry that others mums up at school think i look like an alcoholic that hasnt had a drink!i sway,twitch and shake and im so embarrased by it -im also teetotal ! I have chronic health anxiety not gad tho x
    • Posted

t's no fun being wobbly is it? It's enough to make you turn to drink, lol!!!

Thank you so much for you reply. I am not alone!!!!

• Posted

Yes ,I to have suffered  with being dizzy, and off balance. I could not leave the house. I couldn't sleep, eat, or focus, and in a constant fog. Terrible. I have been great for a lot of years now, thanks to the amazing meds for anxiety they have now. Honest, I promise they will work for all of you who suffer with this. Please call you family doctor and  give them a chance. If by chance a meds give you a sm side affect,it will be better then what your feeling now, and the doc will change it right away, and try another, till you on the right med, and the right dose. Wouldn't it be great to feel (normal) again.

• Posted

Hi Kimberly; I have symptoms exactly like yours,I am housebound at the minute, would you tell me PLEASE, what meds helped you with these balance,anxiety issues.I really dont know what to try, and my GP is useless..Tnx in advance xx
    • Posted

Hi just wondering what kinda meds did they put you on as I have been suffering with this for 8 days now and I want out of it and I wanna get back to reality !! Please help any information will be greatly appreciated !! Did you find anything other than meds helped it and how long did you suffer with it ? Thanks
    • Posted

Hi richard, I suffered for years. You have to remember that everyone is different. What  med works for me, might not work for you. There has to be a starting point,so with that being said. I have a long history with anxiety and panic. I alway's knew I had anxiety problems,and at 23 I freaked out with panic. at that time there was not antidepressant's. At 36 I  went bawling and quite hysterical to my doc, and she said you need a antidepressant, so she put me on Zoloft,and after a few weeks I felt so must better. Now I was having a little problem in the bedroom, lol, so I went to lexapro. Worked good till I was 2 weeks away from my 40th,and I developed tension headache,oh my god, that went on for 24 hours a day for 8 years. Crazy right. I already suffered from migrains. I finally became my own doc. They don't alway's know what to do. My Gp, felt so bad cause she could not figure this out. Well I told her to change my  med, and by god it worked. I have been on Cynbalta 60mg, and 20 amitriptyline for 9 years now,and I have never had a anxiety,or panic attack. She put me on the amitriptyline for migrains and tension headache, but is also for anxiety. I am still doing great, and will never not be on meds. I am fine with that as long as I never experience that life of suffering with anxiety, and panic. It's makes you crazy. Go for it, I promise you will feel so much better. Be vigilant,and any any side effect or if you don't feel this it working for you, go right back and they will  up it or change it, till you are on what works for you. Feel bettersmile

• Posted

thats great !! i just dont feel real at the moment and am very scared that i am losing my mind the weirdest thing is that i didn't feel anxious when the brain fog or whatever it is came on and now its just becoming sronger and stronger each day and i cant shake it hence why i thought a AD might help the situition but i have heard mixed stories of them making it worse and causing derelization so im kinda not really knowing what to do just cant live like this im only 26 years old and normally healthy apart from diabities which i control with insulin but as im aware this cant cause long term brain fog or at least any other adverse reactions in the cognitive department at least i hope not sad 

• Posted

I know richard what your feeling, I have been there done that. I know you don't feel real, it's called anxiety. I promise that if you take a antidepressant and there( maybe)or not have any side effect, that it's nothing like your feeling now, and you doc would take care of it immediately. I guess you haven't hit bottom yet, and can take some more feeling like you do. I get worked up, when I know  they work, and people are afraid to try, cause they're locked up with anxiety. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi theresmile

I couldn't agree more! My GP gave me Sertraline 50mg. The first few weeks were hell and then an improvement. Not 100% but hey, to feel a lot better is so gratifying! It's exhausting " struggling" with balance issues, with anxiety issues in general. Any breathing space is wonderful. I expect to be on meds forever.  That's fine by me because quality of life is vital

• Posted

yeah they wont prespcibe it until i have this brain scan today but i keep thinking its all a physical problem rather than organic like cognitive sad just in a right mess at the moment !!! 

• Posted

I used to think that too! But when my symptoms first appeared the GP's at the time would not have dreamt of ordering CT/MRI scans sad I had to muddle along, frightened that I had something "wrong" in my head. Needless to say years later I'm still here, lol

But symptoms can be downright scarey and the mind tell us this cannot be anxiety induced! Something's wrong! Why won't anyone listen! Why won't anyone take me seriously! Such thoughts clump together and literally "feed " the anxiety.

I'm sure the brain scan will reveal all is well. Please let us know the outcome. Thinking of you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.