Anxiety disorder and balance

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am curious to know if anyone elses balance has been affected by GAD? This is a particular cross I have had to bear when my GAD is at it's worst. Also, at such times, I find sitting still difficult insofar as I tend to not be able to control my head. It's so embarrassing and distressing. I feel like a nodding dog. It strikes out of the blue and it really upsets me. Various tests found nothing amiss and the condition was found to be a manifestation of anxiety disorder.

Anyone out there suffered the same symptom? It would be comforting to know I'm not the only one to have a visible sign of GAD. My worst experience being in the supermarket queue once and overhearing one customer whisper to another, " That woman's drunk!"

I was devastated and went home in tears

Not that it matters but I'm teetotal!

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Must add, the responses I received here did not come through the email route for some reason or other. Sorry for being late in thanking those here who leaped in to help me. I am grateful to one and all. Bless you smile

• Posted

I have the same exact thing. This was really driving me crazy. Many people that do not have anxiety disorder can't realize how scary that is. Since we all have this here it has to be part of anxiety so no worries smile

• Posted

Hi, yes  I am on 60mg Cymbalta, and 20mg of Amitriptyline. Been on these for 8 yrs. Been doing so fine. The first med I tried was Zoloft. That worked good too. I tried Celexa, lexapro. All of them did work for me. Sometimes after years of a med, we need a little tweak. I have been on meds for many years, and will be till the day I die. Fine with me, as long as I never have anxiety, and panic again. 
  • Posted

Hi Helen, I replied to your post, but wanted to reply to mariano.  She wanted to know what meds I take. I tried to send him a reply, but for some reason there are about 3 persons that my reply will not go through. Since you are right under a post he sent to me, I will piggyback on you again, and hope she see's it.  Thank you helen!!!

• Posted

I don't always get notified of responses and have to search the forum for them which is upsetting. It makes me feel as though I will be judged ignorant for ignoring them. None of your responses came vie email. I literally just "found " them

• Posted

Hi Kimberly; just to let you know I seen your reply, and thank you,I have just been given 25mg of sertraline,to be increased to 50mg if I can tolerate it...This anxiety is so hard to live with..hopefully it will work for me..fingers crossed. xx
  • Posted

Hey Helen, so familiar, maybe my posts will help you too. Hope so.
    • Posted

Thank you! Thank you all! I don't feel so alone now  head nodding and wobbling on legs that don't appear to exists. I was so very grateful for everyone's kindness and help. I will be able to calm and reassure myself that it's not just me though I wouldn't wish this symptom upon anyone. It's so hard to deal with a visible symptom and stressful trying to look "normal" in public.

I hug you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Posted

Im sooo scared for my neuro apoointment 2mora,wish i could calm down ,i just feel kind of out of it,not myself,strange more than usual,i gotta go to a family picnic at my childrens school with them and i feel so scared to go,i just wanna grab my kids and run home,usually id be all excited cos kids are finishing school for the hols but this time round is very different,cant claw my way back up this time round anxiety is definitely beating me this week xx
    • Posted

I also feel like im wearing somebody elses glasses or something,feel so wonky like i have to really concentrate to walk properly,then i feel like im walking on sponge or something,dont know how else to describe it,wish i could calm down,x
  • Posted

I've had this too, everything spins and it causes me to panic if I'm suseptible to anxiety that day (some days are better than others) I try not to dwell on it or worry about it happening again as then I get trapped in the cycle of anxiety all over again.

It's a horrible sensation especially if you're out and about. I was diagnosed with an ear condition but I still don't know if that was correct, it could well have been anxiety. I was prescribed stemetil which helped enormously. Sadlly it's not for long term use. 

Have you had any tests to rule out an ear condition such as labirynthitis? 

• Posted

Dizzy and headaches, bad headaches accompany all anxiety disorders and weird stuff can trigger from there. Its your thing sort of speak. Everyone has little qweerks that when there anxiety levels go too high that occur. This is the nervous system we are dealing with and most everything in the body gets effected. You should have turned around and said i am not drunk its part of my anxiety but thank you for your sh*tty opinon and in humilating me..have a nice day. Would have shut her up most definetly forever. I have no patient for mean people, none. Lucky them they lead such wonderful lives. I will tell you a funny story though i sat next to a woman at a wedding who insulted one after another and mocked those who were less abled. I wanted to spill water on he but rather smiled lightly and listed to the long rude rants. I said nothing rude just listened. I was trapped there haha. Anyway later was speaking with my very close friend who use to live next door to find out her life sucked! He hubby was on meds, her bro inn law had retardation, her kids couldnt stand her, she has numerous surgeries and was know to make another feel like poop on the whole. That all made me laugh. Point is her stories could have offended me badly. They did hurt me inside as she was so callous towards others and her judgements so vile but i didnt personalize it i just had a feeling she had some reason she was so callous and later i did find out why and that she did all that be ause she was so self concious of her own life she wanted to appear normal and that was her way to compensate. I also spoke to my friend who threw the wedding and asked her how she liked this person and she told me she wasnt one to go to if your sad but they had been friends a long while back and still chatted here and there and lived down the block from us so she didnt want to be rude. I will tell you i do not wave hello, or speak to this woman i found her form of compensation disgusting.  Maybe that is why some people have this awful need to make rude comments about others they know nothing about. A smile would have been nicer. Some people are jerks. You do you. And if you are in the store and having a hard time and your head nods or whatever you stay there and keep shopping if you can, you need to challenge all this and proove to yourself you can do this and it is safe. Im so sorry people like that exists but please please know its on them not you. 
    • Posted

Thank you ! Thank you for sharing this with me !I laughed and cried at your wonderful response.
  • Posted

Hi helen, I hope you don't mind me responding to marianio through you. It's  so annoying that I can't reply to some people. You are on this forum quite a bit, so I know that she will receive this. You said you are having a few problems getting e-mails. It's annoying. Thank you in advance for letting me respond. I know you will post. Hey mariano,Your awesome!!!! You are on your way to feeling good again. If you are still having any issues,let your care provider know, and they will add a med, or try another. Keep up the good work. Hey Helen, are you on any meds?

• Posted

helen, are you on any medication? If not, why? You are suffering with anxiety. What is going on. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.