Anxiety/ dizziness

Posted , 13 users are following.

hey everyone ! I've been on this site on and off for a few months now. Just wanted to know if anyone else has ever suffered from balance issues and dizziness due to anxiety? I'm getting really bad where I feel like I can't walk cos I'm so off balance sad I got sent home today as I got myself in such a state and was convinced I was about to drop dead as I felt so dizzy!!!!! I went doctors and he did a FULL neurological xamination on me (as I'm CONViNcED I ace something neurological wrong) and he told me it was a perfect examination and I can stop worrying!!! But I feel so bloody dizzy all the time and like I'm dying. Anyone else get this? Please respond! I also get this tired, weak almost earrie feeling come over me like my body is going to just shut down like it wants to die!!! I hate this x

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds a bit like vertigo, it can effect the inner ear and if your a anxious person you will relate the two.  If you feel physically unwell anxiety will heighten, however vertigo is a infection that can be prescribed by doc it also usually comes on after a heavy cold. Pretty common mate just don't let it get you down,, it's hard spot the differences when they are in the head. Take care
  • Posted

I am new to this website as a member but have came here many times to ready others stories to reassure myself they I wasn't the only person I this world to feel this way.

But now, I feel like I have something new and serious going on. I have been on antidepressants for almost 15 years total. I have been though many panic attacks and dizziness and unsteadiness is the worst that I have dealt with Many tests to confirm that nothing is physically wrong with me. I am morid obese and have decided I need to change get my lifestyle. So I started working out and changing my eating habits. Well for the last 4 weeks, I have lost 12 lbs. In the last weeks, I started getting dizzy. This has continued all week. However, I feel like I have an unsteady gait, extremely tired and feel like if I close my eyes that I will not wake back up. I feel like I am NOT in touch with the world and that nothing really seems right. it's very hard for me to explain and it even feels like my life could end. I have had nagging headaches for the last weak and something just doesn't feel right. although I know that I have felt this way before and it always goes away but this time it has lasted for a week and I am so scared. I normally can take a half of a Xanax and the feeling subside but not this time. I feel like I could pass out. It's most of the day with very little relief. And no matter how I try to explain it, I don't think it truly comes out how I am really feeling.

• Posted

Hi, Kirsty. 

I think you are experiencing a symptom which is common for panic attacks and anxiety, it's called depresonalization. I too have felt this way and it can last a week or so. It's not harmful but it's extremely uncomfortable and irritating. My advice to you would just to be relax, don't worry about it. Don't even think about it. I know it's easier to say than do but trust me, the more you think on it the more you're just going to worry and get dizzy spells because you'll get yourself into a panic. I would also recommend counselling to you rather than medication. I believe medication actually makes things worse rather than better, they only work for so long. Its like a temporary fix. 

• Posted

Hi there. I appreciate your response. I am trying to get into a therapist for CBT, as my psychologist has recommended but the appointment hasnt been scheduled yet. I just am always worried that this time, maybe it's not anxiety causing this debilitating light headedness, unsteady gait and horrible feelings. I know we all feel like it's "something " different this time, huh? I just struggle with not worrying about it.
    • Posted

Have you tried any panic hypnosis tracks? They have some on YT. I listen to it at night so I can sleep because when I go to bed I always think I am not going to wake up in the morning, yet...I do! It's good you are getting into CBT, I think that will do you a world of good. What do you normally do to relax yourself? 
    • Posted

I will check out the YouTube videos. I normally can ride my motorcycle to relax but I don't feel stable to ride right now.
  • Posted

Hi, Rhianna. 

Dizziness is a common symptom for anxiety and trust me, I've been there myself even recently after taking Sertraline which I had to stop. I decided to stop taking medication completely and I am very slowly starting to feel better. I have also learned that reading things up online about anxiety and your symptoms will NOT help. I know everyone comes here to help but people speculate and tell you this happened to them or that happened to someone they know and then our anxiety sucks that information in and we convince ourselves WE have it, such as brain tumors, something wrong with our hearts, something off with our body in general. However, if you've been to the Doctor and got checked out and they found nothing wrong, then trust me, NOTHING is wrong. 

And if there was something wrong, you definitely would not be suffering from anxiety with it. Anxiety is a perfectly normal, healthy thing for the brain. It gives us a rush of adrenaline when our brain tells us that something is wrong, however, over the years some of us can develope anxiety without us even noticing it and then it gets worse over the years until we finally do notice it because it's staring us right in the face every day. Some people get it worse than others. But I am here to tell you it is NORMAL. Take a look around on this forum and you will see thousands of people with the same thing you describe and feel. It's at a point where our anxiety is not working properly, and that doesn't mean to say it's going to kill us because it won't. It's not going to harm us, but its just in a state of where it doesn't know when to tell us about danger, so we have to reset it. 

When you feel dizzy don't focus on it, just continue to do what you are doing and don't even think about it. Think about something else. Make plans in your head. The more you focus on your dizziness and the symptoms you're suffering from, the more you notice eveeery little thing that happens with your body (mostly normal stuff you haven't noticed before, like your heart beat because now you can FEEL it beating against your chest) and the more you focus on that the more anxious and worried you will become, and the more dizzy you will feel. Please try to relax, take deep breaths through your nose and out through your mouth, it slows down our heart rate and it will loosen the tension in your muscles. Try to exercise, even if it's squats in your bedroom or sit ups because when we exercise it sends off happy little chemicals in our brain and we will begin to feel different. It's all about accepting the anxiety as part of life, just like a cold or a fever or a bad stomach ache, the only difference is that the anxiety comes from our brain, a place where we think and it causes us to overthink into a state of complete irrational judgments on the world and life, and certainly on our bodies. 

The truth is, if there was something wrong with you as in an illness, you will most likely not have an anxious response from your brain. People with illnesses such as brain tumors don't even notice their illness until they have seizures or something terribly wrong with them that they cannot ignore like. That is just an example, though. Please seek counselling for this and don't let it carry on. You will end up old and one day your anxiety will be gone and you'll look back and think what was all that fuss about? I'm still here. So yeah, try to get comfortable with it because you're going to be on this planet for a looong time like most of us. ; )

I hope you feel better.

• Posted

I work in a kitchen and we are standing alot, we also serve. When I'm just standing there serving I feel like I'm going to fall over like I just can't stand normally, almost like I have to be holding onto something. I walk fine most of the time but do get dizzyness and headaches. Have had all the heart tests done and fine... It's weird how your just standing there but yet feel so off balance and that... Was told by a doctor it's just anxiety so...

There's gotta be something that makes you dizzyness and headaches no??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.