Anxiety & Fear of Medical Professionals

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Anxiety 4 years ago.  It's manifested itself differently each time it's come on.  I've had the panic attacks, palpitations, concrete knot in chest, tingling in fingers and face, difficulty breathing, agitation etc.  The Doctors tried in vain lots of times to put me on medication which I refused.  One of my real fears is that I am terrified of GP's and anything Medical.  I won't take medication due to the fact that I genuinely think it's going to kill me even though I know that this is not logical.  I am currently experiencing achy neck and shoulder area with a detached feeling (I've had this before throughout).  I'm so despondant at the moment and know I need to make an appointment with the GP but I can't do it.  Has anyone else a similar fear like this and symptoms such as I'm currently experiencing?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm just like you! I'm terrified of going to the doctor. I've never been afraid of going to the doctors before until in 2010 when they scared the crap out of me, giving me a health scare. I went back and gave more blood and urine and nothing was wrong. Then, this girl I knew died from her cancer. Then, I started getting these horrible symptoms which was mainly chest pain and sometimes fatigue but now, five years later started last month, it's gotten worse. I don't have chest pain as much but I'm really weak, dizzy, my body feels like it wants to shut down, I'm trembling, twitching uncontrollably... It's awful.
    • Posted

Gabby I know exactly how you feel.  I was fine with hospitals and medical professionals until 4 years ago when my anxiety started.  I have heard that Anxiety is awful and has so many symptoms and forms so I'm sure we are both affected in some way.  My issue also is that I took an awful cold about 3 weeks ago which just won't go and I think it's exacerbating whatever else is going on.  i know I'm being ridiculous by not going to GP but it terrifies me that they may discover something serious which I just don't feel I could cope with.
    • Posted

right! I feel if I go to a GP they're gonna take blood and find a fatal disease. The news would just kill me and my mom! I can't have her broken down because of me. And us, what if it can't be treated? What if it's metastasized? It's just so scary. I feel bad everyday and I want to feel normal again. I want to go back 8 years and relish in life when I didn't feel like this.
  • Posted

Hi mate I'm the same about the med's. I was meant to go for surgery I didn't because of the med's they would give me to put me to sleep. I was meant to go on Friday for a check of my bowl (sorry) but I couldn't take the laxative they gave me through fear it would kill me. I know the fear yr going through. To be honest I thought it was just me.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that Mark but at least you know you are not alone!  I can't even take a Beechems Hot Lemon.  Shows how bad this is doesn't it. 
  • Posted

Hi, im also terrified of hospitals since my anxiety started I was fine before and didn't bother me, I had a rapid heart beat and had to go to hospital i had loads of tests and couldn't find anything wrong, tommorow I have to have a echo done and a 24hr ecg of my heart I'm so scared x
  • Posted

i understand, i am similar i now have recurring anxiety after many years triggered by 2 close family deaths last year.  my symptoms seem new in that i get dizzy and disorientated now and the palpitations seem to have disappeared for a while, i dont like GP either but its better to try and go and face it to have your mind put at rest for your well being it will help you.  try relax and yoga and peace to be you, good luckto you
    • Posted

Thank You Debi.  I may take the plunge tomorrow and ring the surgery for an appointment.  Here's hoping I can go through with it.  I hope all works out well for you too.
    • Posted

Hi Debi I had the palpitations to the point where I was get all the time I was so scared and the dizziness that came with was like I was drunk, I got to doctors ASAP and doctor listen to my heart said I was fine. Didn't make a difference still going on, sent me for ecg the doctor there explained the outcome in detail which had affect strait away, they had stopped before I got out the hospital. it my head making it happen even when I thought I wasn't thinking about it. Hope you get better soon
  • Posted

Sorry to hear all this. Anxiety is so pervasive and persuasive.

Why don't you ask for a telephone appointment/chat with the Gp and be very candid about all your health, medical and hospital fears. This might help alleviate future anxiety

Try and remember that when in the sensitized anxious state your mind and body will latch onto any worry or create worry in order to justify the state your in ie looking for the 'threat'. When I'm anxious I have catastrophic thinking about mist things. Recently it was the whole future, getting g old and dealing with dying. I'm only 45!

Anyway now my anxiety has subsided I'm no longer worried or scared of those things in the same way. I just try and not listen to my anxiety or buy into it. So accepting and trying to carry on as normal besides the thoughts and all the horrible symptoms. It ain't easy but it's the best method I've found. No need to over analyse either. Still have a longish journey to go with the agoraphobic and panic stuff - though greatly improved to how I was a fee weeks a go when my general anxiety was severe due to bereavement and work stuff

Small steps and all that.

Take care.

• Posted

Thank you Francesca.  I know you're right.  I tend not to have much control over it though.  The GP knows how I feel but apart from referring me to a telephone MH chat line (which was as much use as a chocolate teapot) there is little they can do.  The way I cope depends on the intensity of the episodes which I go through.  I am an intellectual woman and I know that I am being illogical but I have no control over it.  I fully agree that I should go to the GP and snap myself out of this but it's impossible.  I appreciate your response and all others also. 
  • Posted

Hi Guys.  I plucked up the courage to ring the Surgery this morning.  A Doctor rang me back and booked me in for an appointment.  By the time I went for the appointment my pulse was off the scale and my breathing had gone again.  The Doctor knew I was agitated and didn't take my BP or Pulse.  He listened to my lungs and said I've got a viral infection (3rd week) although my lungs are clear.  He's pretty sure it's nothing serious but I was complaining about the aching in my neck and shoulders.  He made me move my neck left and right, put my arms up straight above me and said that the anxiety can cause bad posture which over time can take it's toll like this.  I hunch up most  of the time.  He did say that he wants full blood tests and I'm going back on Thursday for those.  I was a bit calmer this afternoon but my symptoms have started up again over the last few hours.  No anti biotics for the virus.  Just hope it is only a virus that is exacerbating my condition.
  • Posted

hi i am glad you went to the GP, virus can make you feel pretty bad, keep us informed of your progress its good for us all to keep in touch, all helps you know
  • Posted

I will Debi.  I just need to get rid of this awful aching in my neck and shoulders.  It's so debilitating and of course I'm not convinced it's muscular.  In my mind, my arteries are blocked and the oxygen is not getting to my brain!!  I've given myself a stiff talking to but the Anxiety is winning I'm afraid. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.