Anxiety & Fear of Medical Professionals

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Anxiety 4 years ago.  It's manifested itself differently each time it's come on.  I've had the panic attacks, palpitations, concrete knot in chest, tingling in fingers and face, difficulty breathing, agitation etc.  The Doctors tried in vain lots of times to put me on medication which I refused.  One of my real fears is that I am terrified of GP's and anything Medical.  I won't take medication due to the fact that I genuinely think it's going to kill me even though I know that this is not logical.  I am currently experiencing achy neck and shoulder area with a detached feeling (I've had this before throughout).  I'm so despondant at the moment and know I need to make an appointment with the GP but I can't do it.  Has anyone else a similar fear like this and symptoms such as I'm currently experiencing?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well I'm sorry to report that I completely lost it today and didn't go for the blood tests which had been scheduled since I saw the GP a couple of days ago.  I fully intended to go however about 15 mins before I was due to leave I had a massive Panic Attack and just couldn't do it.  I'm ashamed of myself and completely angry also.  My partner rang the surgery to explain what had happened as I didn't want them thinking I was just another DNA.    How the heck have I deteriorated to this stage where I can't even face a blood test?
  • Posted

its very hard to do things when you get a last minute panic attack, just awful honestly it cant be helped and YES afterwards when you are calm in perspective it all seems ridiculous but dont be hard on yourself, you will do it another day, get some coping techniques all practiced out before you arrange another test, then use this to overcome the problem to get though this.  It can be don.e
  • Posted

Thank You but it's the coping methods I'm struggling with.  I can't find any  confused
    • Posted

Hi there crafty. I'm the same as you in so many ways it's weird. I had my test yestaday the camera up the bum. Sorry for being so Mank. The night before I had to drink 2l of this drink which clears you out, I had to come home from work early, so my miss could be with me wile I drink it because I'm so scared of having a reaction that kills me. She works nights and leaves at 5.30. the courage it took was so much. All I kept thinking was I have a choice to live or die, so take and die, or don't take it and live. I'm standing thinking I could be dead in 15 minutes. But I got stressed with my self turn on the radio loud and said to my self ( who by the way has the biggest fear of death possible) bollocks to it , I've had enough, if I'm going it's on my terms so I downed it. My god did I sh*t my self for the first 30 mins, the thoughts in my head was mental as you can imagine. You can guess what things happened after with moments so I won't go in to detail lol. I was relaxed by the time I went to bed knowing the laxative hadn't killed me. Any way the next morning was the big day, I walk in ready to go and lost it completely in the waiting room of margate hospital. I got taken to a side room, I explained I was on the verge of a melt down they said they would like to serdate me, of course I said no as I'm scared of meds. Any way I got in there I'm laying down and it's go time. I'm 29 and a big lad I haven't cried since I was a boy, but it opened gate I was a mess. Ok maybe i needed to man up. They offered the meds again I said no just do it whilst crying like a girl. It was hard work they gave me gas and air and got on with it lol. There was a male nurse that got me through the worst of it ( god bless him) there was pain at times that I could not handle. But looking back on it I've had chicken scratches that hurt more it's just I was in such panic it was all made worse. After saying sorry many many times I was lead out and told I was ok all normal. Still can't get it in to my head that they said I was ok l've got pain so they must be wrong. But I'm all clear. just thought I would share my experience sorry if I went on. please do the blood test. It will be ok. needles don't hurt you know that!! Just a scratch you know that. if it helps think of me crying like a girl lol when they are putting a Polaroid up mu bum. Take care

• Posted

Hi Mark. I can completely understand how you felt and well done for going through with it. It's not the needle I'm scared of. It's the possibility that they find something. That's what I can't cope with. I'm so pleased you have the all clear. The pain is probably just discomfort from the procedure or your anxiety still making you concentrate on that area. I'm just in the midst of a bad episode at the moment and hopefully I will come out of it but it could take weeks or months. I'll just keep going as best I can for now. I find that over time I get used to the new symptoms and manage them but its when a new one manifests that I start really worrying. The latest is the aching neck and constricted feeling in my throat along with lack of energy. My diagnosis of a viral infection a few days ago makes some of it logical but anxiety is a beast and can throw our brains I off in so many directions its frightening. I'm sure your pain will dissipate in the next few days as you accept that your procedure showed everything to be ok and coming from a fairly strong person who never cries, perhaps I need to do more of that as a release? Well done again for being so strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.