Anxiety following TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a TKR 12 weeks ago and although the knee is functionally great the rest of me feels like it's falling apart. I've had a couple of occasions that has really shaken my confidence and now I feel increasingly anxious about going outside and walking. I have got so low over recent weeks my GP suggested antidepressants which I have now discontinued because of the horrendous side effects. I often feel light headed when walking which adds to the feelings  of being unsafe and that any minute I could fall. Is anybody else experiencing anything like this? Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I feel I'm going backwards and not forwards in my recovery. Thanks

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry you're feeling like this Deb.

The only dizziness I have felt is when my atrial fibrillation kicked in after my last op because it didn't like the sedative and drug combination!!

Is your blood pressure ok? High or low bp can make you feel dizzy. It may be worth going to have it checked out. It's great that your knee function is so good. You could just be feeling the effects of having had such a big op. People don't realise what's its like until they experience it. I don't know how old you are, but atrial fibrillation, when your heart beats very fast and out of rhythm, is fairly common as people get older. You're probably only 40 and I've now really insulted you!!

Anyway, sorry I can't be much help. I hope you start feeling much better soon. Good luck, Ann. 

• Posted

Hi Ann interesting thought about AF I have had it for years and it has been partially bad since the op. I am 5weeks post op. and have have 2decent sleeps this week. Today I feel I am turning the corner. Touch wood take care
  • Posted

Poor. You. I don't think we any of us realise what a truama this op actually is . I know my confidence is shattered and I have felt so down and depressed and damned myself for having it done. I'm sure your confidence will return soon.your body will tell you you are good to go again.i  was not ever expecting to feel so low, can't relax, can't sit and watch telly, can't concentrate on a book. Just want to sit and weep.hope you get through this soon, remember the hardest part is over so you can only get better. Love to you and take care
    • Posted

Thanks Tucks. It really is one hell of an operation, I focused so much on getting through the actual surgery I didn't give enough thought to the recovery. I'm sorry you feel so down but I'm sure things will improve for you and soon, my first 6 weeks were physically the toughest, just need to get the head to play ball now. I really wish you all the very best, sending love and healing thoughts, look after yourself x
    • Posted

Hi deb you are so right about the actual op. I pushed aside all thoughts of rehab and post op problems, just wanted the op over with. It's understandable that every has come as such a shock. I was hallucinating in hospital through the drugs. They found me unconscious on the floor one night. Don't know how I got there or anything about it. The next night I actually hit a nurse with my crutch. Again totally unaware. I felt so stupid and ashamed must have thought I was the mad woman from mars.they eventually sorted out the drug problem and told me that the trauma had helped to trigger it off.im sure you are going to be fine deb your confidence has taken a big knock and so its perhaps slowly slowly for a while. You will get there , lovely to talk to you take care x
    • Posted

Oh Tucks, drugs can take us to some very dark and dangerous places so you mustn't feel ashamed. The trauma is huge. Thanks for your kind words, we'll both get there eventually, lovely to talk to you too x
  • Posted

Sorry to hear of your symptoms. I am only 7 1/2 weeks post op and the knee is still very stiff so I wouldn't say it's functionally great like yours but I have experienced anxiety when walking out, particularly in shops or where it's crowded. I'm afraid of people bumping me. I get a light headed feeling when anxious like this. I suppose the only way to tackle it is to do it little and often perhaps. I found my crutch reassuring but try not to use that now. What about a walking stick perhaps? I too get very down quite often as I find it so frustrating as progress is so slow. It's really good that you're so pleased with the way your knee is functioning so try to take heart from that. I think this op has a massive impact on our whole body. I hope you will gain confidence soon.

Jen x

• Posted

Thanks Jen. I'm still actually on 2 crutches outside as my other knee is shot, I manage on 1 and occasionally without inside the house. Progress is indeed mighty slow and very up and down but you sound like you're doing amazingly well for 7 1/2 weeks, long may it continue. I will try little and often although I feel like I'm facing the north face of the Eiger when contemplating a walk to the end of the drive. Patience and acceptance are probably key, but very difficult to access at times. Take care x
  • Posted

i am only 8days out of surgery. i could genuinally top myself & curse the day i had it done. i still feel nauseous after op, eating bits now, but nothing tastes of what it should do. i lost 2&1/2 stone in weight & have not smoked a ciggie since the day i started my diet 4 months ago to have my op & the night after my op, if i had had all my tablets, which i take for spinal stenosis, fibromyalgia & other things, in total 29 tablets a day, i would have took them, i lay in the bed in my room & i cried like a baby, the pain was so excrutiating, still is, but after reading all your experiences, i am not on my own. my kids do nothing for me, i am on my own 14 hrs a day & i am very very weepy at how selfish they are. i hope anyone reading this, not long out of hospital, will appreciate what i am going through & maybe be able to associate it with things they are going through. thanx everyone for listening, its great to know someone is there for me. julie xx
    • Posted

It's still really early days for you and things will get better, it's tough, I had a Hip done about 4 years ago and that was a walk in the park compared to this. Improvement is slow and very up and down but it will come. I'm so sorry you're feeling so low, I think it's much harder when you're on your own, the days seem to drag on forever, and it's a huge operation, really traumatic for your whole system. Look after yourself, and take heart it really will get better x
    • Posted

Oh dear I have just wept at your words. You must feel so alone and devastated . I felt exactly like you after the op. couldn't believe I had elected to have the damn thing done. I am now 5weeks post op. stillin pain and still dreading each day that comes around. I live alone so know what these empty hours feel like I know my family love me and I'm sure yours are the same.family can be a little selfish at times I suppose and when your a mom you are the cement that holds the family together. You did so well losing all that weight you must be very proud of it. Things will get better and remember you are not alone out there. I wish you well and will be willing you to feel better soon love and take care x
    • Posted

thanx so much tucks. people on here are very kind. long days, then sleepless nights & just waiting for the morning to come are awful.  5 weeks, i just can not see that far at all, its a long long way away for me. go to get dressing changed on saturday, not sure if they will take staples out then, as it will only be 10 days, but i am petrified at the thought of more pain. i have suffered for 22 yrs with spinal stenosis, lost 6" of my height with that & also have fibromyalgia & still after all this time, i do not deal very well with the pain, now this on top, thanx so so much again huni, for all your kind words. take care, julie xx
    • Posted

Hi Julie, try not to look too far ahead otherwise you could go bonkers. Break it down into each day and before you know it the days are weeks. You'll get there luv, it seems very dark at the moment and  if you're in pain and can't sleep there's nothing worse. Have you tried the audiobooks? I didn't have the patience to read at first but found I could listen to a book in those scarey early hours of the morning. Keep up with the pain meds and if they're not working get some help and advice, thinking about you and wishing you well Deb x
  • Posted

thanx so much deb, your fab giving advice on your experience. i was told a knee is much worse than a hip.  i knew it would be hard work afterwards, i was ready for that, but they just don't tell you about the excrutiating, throbbing pain, i am not really sure they could tell you how bad it is, unless they have had it done themselves. i was sent home 3 days after my op, to an empty house, it was horrendous. they knew i had no1, but were not bothered. never mind. have a good afternoon xx
  • Posted

Hi Deb, I am 9 weeks post op . And doing really well . Physio discharged me this morning . I too suffer from depression and anxiety , this is normally under control , with no problems. It got it bad a weeks a few weeks ago ang GP , put me on amitryptaline , because this is also good for pain...yes, it worked for pain but I felt like a crazy woman and a zombie all at the same time .it also made my heart eaten much faster.  I too came off of it. I am now on Prozac , and although yesterday morning I awoke with real anxiety , shaking !! I am usually ok. .i don't know why thus op causes it. I did speak to my physio today about it . She explained it is a massive operation, every body reacts differently .she is amazed how well I have got over the op physically, but mentally I need to slow down and not be so hard on myself.  Go back to your GP, and ask for a different medication. You probably don't need a sedating one . I hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Thanks Pam, my GP also put me on Prozac but after 11 days I felt like I was losing my mind, the side effects were just awful. My anxiety increased, unable to sleep, headache, and weird random thoughts and dreams, definitely not for me. I took the decision on Monday to come off it and just making that decision made me feel a little more positive, the experience has made me resistant to try something else. It does however mean that I am left with the anxiety that I started with. I am trying some meditation and mindfulness exercises that seem to help at times and I think your Physio is right we have a tendency to expect too much of ourselves at times, I just need to accept this is where I am at present and hopefully it's not always going to be like this. Thanks for taking the time to get in touch Deb x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.