Anxiety following TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a TKR 12 weeks ago and although the knee is functionally great the rest of me feels like it's falling apart. I've had a couple of occasions that has really shaken my confidence and now I feel increasingly anxious about going outside and walking. I have got so low over recent weeks my GP suggested antidepressants which I have now discontinued because of the horrendous side effects. I often feel light headed when walking which adds to the feelings  of being unsafe and that any minute I could fall. Is anybody else experiencing anything like this? Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I feel I'm going backwards and not forwards in my recovery. Thanks

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

could some one tell me how long before you have the staples out? & how long do you have to wear the compression stockings???
    • Posted

Hi No1nanny, I had my staples out at about 10 days but didn't have to wear compression stockings, must differ from Consultant to Consultant. Make sure you have some pain meds on board, mine had got a bit stuck to the dressing and it was a bit uncomfortable but it does mean you're making progress x
    • Posted

Hi,

My staples came out on the 11th day.  Might sting a little, but knee felt easier to bend afterwards.

Had to wear stockings for six whole weeks - day and night, with half an hour's grace to have a shower.  During this past hot Summer it nearly drove me mad, but persevered.  Better than chancing the alternative.

• Posted

Hi, didn't have my staples out till day 16 but I did have a slight problem with bleeding at first. Having them out was ok. Like Lynn I had to wear the stockings for 6 weeks. It was so nice when they came off 😊. My advice in the early days is to make sure you get adequate pain relief and to do the exercises you've been given. Things do improve but it's very slow. Good luck! 

Jen 

• Posted

thanx deb, lynn & jennifer. not done many exercises today, but have done some. since yesterday, all last night & all today & still, my shin & calf have throbbed non stop, driving me to destraction. had ice packs on them all day, but to no abate. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR xxx
  • Posted

Staples out day 14   And yes stockings for 6 weeks , I did try with a syspender belt and that did help it a bit stop the cutting around the top of your legs  
    • Posted

Sounds as if you had longer stockings than me - mine just came up to knee. They must have been even worse! I seem to recall you saying you used a stationary bike? Physio has suggested today  I use mine. Did you find it helped? I seem to be aching more than ever after exercising today. He's told me to continue with all the other exercises plus a couple of extra ones as well as the bike. Please tell me it'll pay off in the end. When does it stop hurting?? 

Jen 

• Posted

Hi Jen, I'm 12 weeks post op now and haven't had any significant pain for the last 2 - 3 weeks so you're getting there. I get a twinge now and then if I'm getting out of a lower seat and if I've overdone the exercise but otherwise on the whole it's not too bad at all. Would be interesting to know about the bike. Used mine pre op but haven't thought about it post op 

Deb x

• Posted

I haven't got a bike, but invested in a peddling machine.  At first I couldn't do a full revolution but practiced rocking backwards and forwards.  Personally, I found this exercise quite a relief and then suddenly one day I could do a backwards revolution and then forwards.  What a sense of achievement!

It is tiring, but it's important to keep the knee moving as much as possible.  Mine stiffens if it's still for more than 10 minutes and I'm just over 11 weeks post op.

• Posted

Well done Lynn, may the bike give a try tomorrow. Will try backwards first, wish me luck x
    • Posted

Thanks, Deb. That's really good to know. My physio said I'm nearly there. By that I assume he means bend and straightening (he's not very communicative!) I just feel at the moment that I go 1 step forward then 2 steps back. I go to a knee class end of next week so maybe that'll help. Hopefully I'll also be able to talk to others in a similar position. I've read of others on this site using a bike so hoping it will be beneficial. I used it pre op too. How much exercise do you do? Mine take 30 mins plus and I'm doing them 3 times a day. That's without the bike. I don't mind as long as they pay off! Thanks for listening to my moans. So glad to know you're recovering well.

Jen x

• Posted

Yes, they were long stockings !! And no I don't have a bike , so cannot comment on that . I do still get some pain , sometimes the knee really throbs . I also get irritable legs , and that drives me mad . Does anyone else and have you found a solution? 
    • Posted

Thanks, Lynn. I guess it is important to keep the leg moving. I was the same when I first tried to use the bike.at first I couldn't do it then one day managed to go round!  Maybe I'll try peddling for a few minutes several times a day. I hate this awful stiffness! Thanks again for listening to my moans. Hope you keep progressing well.

Jen x

• Posted

I do less time than you but more often. Sitting down I do 25 static leg raises from 90degrees to straight holding for 5 secs then down then 25 leg raises but taking my leg out to the side when it's straight and holding for 5 secs, hope that makes sense, and I try to do that every other hour and it takes about 15 mins. Those plus walking are the only ones I've continued with after the initial ones given to me by the hospital. In my area you don't get any Physio post op at all, just a sheet of paper telling you exercise is your responsibility. Oh, another useful one is to sit on a table and swing your leg back and forth, the momentum helps with the bend. If you have any tips would be grateful to hear them. Good Luck Debx
    • Posted

Hi Deb, I seem to do a greater variety of exercises than you. I'm lucky that in our area I've seen a physio 4 or 5 times since the op and am due to start a weekly knee class on Friday for 6 weeks. That should help as I can talk to others in the same boat. I'm doing about 3 minutes on the bike 2 or 3 times a day. That with the exercises takes me about 3/4 of an hour 3 times a day. I find I get very tired and wonder if They're too much but the knee does seem to be improving so I'm reluctant to stop.

One I do is placing bad knee on 2nd stair, bending and leaning into the bend then pulling leg back and foot resting on heel till leg is straight (10 to 15 times). Another one which I don't really want to recommend is lying on my tummy with pillow under thigh and feet overhanging bed with 1kg weight round around ankle. Lifting leg back and up 10 times then leaving foot hanging over bed for about 5 minutes. It really hurts but I think it has helped with straightening the leg. 

You seem to have progressed really well with your exercises if your knee is pain free. Pity you've got trouble with your other knee too. Maybe the bike will help with flexibility and improve your confidence walking outside. I hope so.

Jen 

• Posted

Thanks for that Jen. Seem to have hit a bit of a wall today, sat here typing and all I want to do is cry. Still struggling with being outside walking, drove the car to fill up with petrol, went in to pay and was so anxious staggered out without receipt. Worried about how long it's going to be before I can get back to work and just how long this recovery is taking. So sorry to moan, bad day, after all my crowing about how little pain I was getting my knee has been uncomfortable for a day or two too, hey ho

Debx

• Posted

Morning,

Can I just check how many weeks post op you are?

I'm almost 12 and can relate totally to the tears and feeling anxious.  For weeks I was unable to concentrate on anything, even conversations, and was wondering when I would ever feel 'normal' again.  Not quite there yet. Going out to lunch with my closest friend today and still anxious about distances to walk, how will I manage etc.

Hitting a wall some weeks does happen.  Two weeks ago I was in tears with my physio because I'd done just that.  She explained that from 6 to 12 weeks the feeling is quite normal as progress is SO slow.

Chin up.  It does get better but it takes a long time.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I'm 13 weeks now.  I am waiting for my second knee to be done but at the moment don't even want to think about it. The anxiety at times is crippling, some days are OK and I feel on top of it but there are days like today when I wonder if I will ever reclaim my life. I have a birthday dinner on Sunday for a close friend and my god-daughter and already like you I'm thinking will I be able to walk the distance required to the restaurant without having a meltdown. I am now managing short distances in the house unaided but feel so vulnerable outside, have been trying with 1 crutch but it's tough mentally and physically. Have a lovely lunch with your friend and thanks for replying

Debx

• Posted

Hi Lynn, your comments hit home to me. I'm 8 weeks post op and have those same issues: lack of concentration, anxiety when going out etc. I'm trying going without painkillers today (been taking paracetamol 3 times a day and cocodamol at bedtime. I felt so lethargic yesterday and wonder if it's the tablets. I've not been too bad so far so will see how I go. It's not as if the tablets give instant relief anyway. I can identify with the feeling of hitting a wall too. It's good to know this is quite normal too. Hope you enjoy your lunch. Jen x
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel, Deb. I think I'm better one day then the next I seem to go backwards. I'm lucky that I'm retired so don't have the worry of returning to work. Is there any way you can return part time at first? It depends a lot on what your job involves. I know I couldn't cope with a lot of standing. Hope you feel better tomorrow and as time goes on we get more good days than bad.

Jen x

• Posted

Hi Jen, luckily I can phase back into work doing half my hours at first and building up over a month but that seems so far away. I work in the NHS and there is a lot of walking involved not to mention being on the ball mentally. It makes a huge difference being able to chat with people in the same position, there is no support post op after discharge in the area where I live and getting support from people like you and others has made a world of difference, sincere and heartfelt thanks

Debx

• Posted

hiya lynn & deb, i am only 12 days post op. i am a depressive, i thought i was bad enough then with the tears, feeling my heart is broken, etc etc. i am even worse now, i do put a lot of it down, to pain, swelling & the lack of help. i suppose also, i am sick of people saying"oh you will be fine" to the point i want to say, " i am sorry, but unless you have had this done, you could not possibly understand" xx
    • Posted

Hi Deb, I'm so glad of your and others' support too. Take care and think about work when you're feeling more like it. Jen x
    • Posted

There appears to be no post opp support at all that I know of so god bless links like this. Could you go back to work part time for a period? It seems a bit daunting with a job like yours. Best of luck x
    • Posted

Hi nanny. I know how you feel , I have cried buckets, lain on the bed , sat on the loo uncontrollable sobs. It has to be part of the post op scenario I think I was so fixated on the op and the pain part I blanked out any other emotions. Which have now com back to bite my bum. I am weeping whilst writing this but it is comforting to know I am not alone out here. Love and take care. I am 5weeks post op. x
    • Posted

its awful isan't it. i knew it would be hard work after, but they mentally or phyically prepare you for the pain, dression etc etc. maybe that is something they should look at. wow 5 weeks, i just can not see that fat ahead, lol. you take care queenbxx
    • Posted

Yeah, maybe the idea is to stay in the day, one day at a time, but it's tough isn't it? Thanks again Jen, good knowing we're all in the same boat and that we're all there for each other

Debx

• Posted

Hi there. Been for my second physio session, absolutely charming young man gently guided me through all the feelings I am going through. My knee bend has gone up to110 and my flex ions were over 100. He was so pleased and has discharged me. He ax plains the huge trauma which the body goes through with this op and has assured me I will start to feel normal again soon. It was really comforting talking to him. I have been walking without crutches around the house. But I now need to start going a bit further daily. How have you been today? Love and take care x
    • Posted

hiya tucks, well done you. thats fab news. i go at 6.30pm tonight, then have the stapels out right after at 7pm. not looking forward to that. i have had 2 better days, so been exercising a bit more. i am 13 days post op now, but although pleased with myself. i am still sleeping on the couch. mind you that is nothing new. i sleep in the attic as i have a coversion. to do the 2 lot of stairs seems like climbing a mountain & am scared of waking in the night, my knee being so swelled i can hardly bend it & being stuck up there. my exercising is coming on, but my spinal stenosis, is very painful with all the added pressure of my knee. its really hard work for me. i am hoping once the staples are out, i can have a shower???. was told not to get one in case i got my knee wet. been having a lovely wash top to bottom, but my hair , well i am sure you know what i mean. i will let you know how i get on later, but i really am so scared. did you use anything on your knee to massage it after staples removed? my knee is very sore, but its numb/tingly to the touch. chat later & well done you. love & hugs, julie xx
    • Posted

hiya hun, hope your doing well today. i had staples out, OUCH!!!. i have to to go back saturday, as when removed the scar was gaping a bit. physiotherapist is delighted with my progress. nothing like having someone to cheer you on & encourage you. my knee is stiffer now & quite sore, so have to get working on it, just scared its going to pop open, during exercises, lol. got some temporary stitches in gape, i am praying it will sort itself by saturday, or they might re-stitch a section. feel sick thinking about it, lol. you have a lovely day. hugs & love, julie xx
    • Posted

Well done gal, stitches out another hurdle over. It's a great plus when the physio tells you you are doing well .i got discharged yesterday after the second session so must be doing something right it has spurred me on a bit. I an 6weeks tomorrow and am going to drive up to my local shop if I can, bit nervous but I have to start getting out and about. Was out for 4hours yesterday with my daughter in law. She's an absolute treasure. So knee was a bit achy last night. Still onward and upward, you already sound brighter. Love to you and have a good day xx
    • Posted

Hi Julie , I am gently rubbing my legs with Nivea moisturiser and its working for.yes these washing problems are a bind, haven't managed a bath jet but am working on it. Shame about the stairs, this was my greatest fear before the op so I had a reconditioned stairlift fitted, it cost me just£595 its like a brand new one, and oh my god what a godsend it has been, I can go up and down when ever I want ,soo easy. Love an best wishes for a good day to come xx
    • Posted

hiya love, do you good to get out. my kids not offered yet. its really sore today, feels a bit raw were i had the staples out & only had an hours sleep last night.  i need to massage the sides & back, its like a rock & tight. lovely to hear from you. have a good day & good luck driving X X
    • Posted

Hi ya this lack of sleep is soal destroying, I dread nighttime coming round the only saving grace is that it brings tomorrow and tomorrow may be a better day. Sorry you are sore after yours staples were out, as soon as the wound is feeling you will begin to feel human again. Remember you are not alone out there and we are all struggling together. Love and take care xx
    • Posted

thanx hun, but i have to be fair, my sleeping has been like this for 20 years now. its so frustrating. i do not think i will ever get used to it. my body is knacked, its my mind, it won't switch off. its worse since my knee though, an hour or 2 if i am lucky. normally get 3-4. take care, hugs & love xx
    • Posted

I have the same problem with sleeping , haven't slept well for years . My GP put me on 50mg amitryptaline , which is really good for nerve pain and  also did  help me sleep . Trouble was after 3 months I was a crazy woman who could have bitten every ones head off or worse , so that's gone now lol , as you could kill any way not a good choice lol . I hope you are in a little less pain xx
    • Posted

hiya pam. glad they work for you hun. i was on 200mg, 4 tabs a night, they did absalutely nothing. knee really sore today, as had staples out last night & its gaping a bit, so is stinging & sore. my back is soooooo bad at the moment & i have no home support at all. its a nightmare. nice to hear from you pam. hope your well today xx
    • Posted

Try and keep your chin up luv, no sleep sucks the soul right out of you, anytime nap could be called for. Hope you have a better night and that the discomfort settles soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.