Anxiety following TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a TKR 12 weeks ago and although the knee is functionally great the rest of me feels like it's falling apart. I've had a couple of occasions that has really shaken my confidence and now I feel increasingly anxious about going outside and walking. I have got so low over recent weeks my GP suggested antidepressants which I have now discontinued because of the horrendous side effects. I often feel light headed when walking which adds to the feelings  of being unsafe and that any minute I could fall. Is anybody else experiencing anything like this? Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I feel I'm going backwards and not forwards in my recovery. Thanks

2 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

having experience of being on various antidepressants long-term in the past, I can tell you that it normally takes 2-3 weeks for them to kick in properly when you start or change.

some of them can make you feel more anxiety or more depressed at first, it's a known effect but persevere and they will help.

i have been through most of the antidepressants over the years and can say if one doesn't work for you, move on to another but give them a month or two before deciding.

after finding the one that worked for me, I was able to drop to a maintenance dose for a while and then stop altogether.

i have been off them for 5 years now but will not hesitate to take them again if I need to in the coming months.

the best advice I can give is don't be afraid to ask your GP for help in finding one that suits you.

• Posted

I also do those same exercises , I also do going up stairs  one step operated leg first bringing other leg on to same stair and going back in reverse good leg first  I do this 10 times . Another is on the bed on my side , laying on good leg with knee slightly bent . Operated leg exactly on top . Then lifting top leg up just a little  but without rotating hips . I found this quite difficult  to start with 
    • Posted

Thanks for those tips Pam, will give it a whirl, maybe not today, not a good day, really out of sorts. Just want to cry, feeling veeeeery sorry for myself, desperate for some sort of normality

Debx

• Posted

Hi there so sorry you are not having a good day. I haven't started my excersises to day because they hurt so much yesterday. So I'm giving them a break till tomorrow. This feeling of lowness seems to go down to your soal. So I am just letting it happen and crying when feel I need to. These feelings are going to go away eventually and then look how happy we will all be. Love to you my friend take care
    • Posted

Thanks Tucks, it just takes time I suppose, maybe I'm guilty of being impatient and my expectations are too high. Sending you love too, hope the pain eases soon 

Debx

• Posted

I have to agree with johnros  about the antidepressants .they are not an instant fix and do take time , if you need them take them 
  • Posted

I am nearly 10 weeks and knee is doing great , but just wish I could lift myself up . I didn't expect this to be part of it ,but at least we know on here it is very common . Nanny , I had my first physio appointment at 14 days and I. Just sat and cried most way through it ... She said it was very common ...
    • Posted

Good to hear your knee is doing well Pam, I think as time goes on we can  lose sight of exactly how traumatic this op is, I never expected to feel so low but as you said it's reassuring to read that it's not uncommon. It's a bit of a roller coaster to say the least

Debx

• Posted

Since all the cartlidge is now totally gutted out, sounds like the new parts need some kind of oil to keep them moving better.....don't know if a collagen supplment would help with artificial parts....

I take collagen supps and use coconut oil and olive oil to keep my knee going and not do a replacement.....can't bear the thought. Im also a big fan of Omega 3's for heart and joint health.

The hip replacement changed my LIFE and not in a great way.....it's been pretty miserable and I'm 4 yrs post op next month.

I hope you all get better lives with the new knees.

• Posted

I have a friend who has a male friend and he just went thru TKR and prior he played tennis, rode bicycle for miles, very athletic...

She says he's doing great....he was very physically fit prior.

Then I read recently a man who had a Hip Replacement and he was still doing 18 holes of golf prior to surgery and he's doing great with his hip.

I thought I was pretty physically fit for 72, but my body is also riddled with Fibro and a lot of OA...

So it all depends how physically fit one was before, I think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.