Anxiety getting me down :(

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone just fear it constantly or feel constantly anxious with racing thoughts going round your head? Butterfly's in my tummy constantly worrying about not getting better from this or feeling the exact same way tomorrow- I've been on citalopram for a week now?

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

yes I was like this for years until I finally got diagnosed with GAD. Tried citalopram but found Effexor (venlafaxine) works best for me. Good luck smile
    • Posted

Do you have ups and downs? I can't feel like this for years- it's horrendous, not that I would do anything daft! Did u get therapy?
    • Posted

Well before it got too bad, I spent a lot of time doing hobbies and things that I loved, and that took my mind off it. when I was in college and also engaged, it became really bad for a year or so before my stomach started hurting and I went to the doc and he gave me Prozac. This was many years ago and I did not know of such a thing as GAD! 
    • Posted

Thanks it's just the butterflies I can't get to go and my head just goes into overdrive and I feel I worry about things all day and then I read about things on here sometimes that make it's worse!
  • Posted

Hi, yes I've been through exactly that since October but am now on the mend. 

You WILL get better and things will settle down, it's early days on your AD's. In mean time try keep yourself occupied.

You should feel therapeutic benefits of the cit within a few weeks.

in mean time keep posting. N

• Posted

Thanks I've been out and about today with friends for a bit and I visit my brother etc but it's just always on my mind, it seems to be pretty bad during the day and then at night time it eases off!! But every-time I think I ain't getting better the butterflies flare up and I'm away lol vicious circle I know, I have had some good days mind you, not all bad but when you get a bad you think that's it!!
  • Posted

You must have the attitude you can beat this. Try and see if during a panic attack you can almost remive your mind. Observe how and what it does to your body and write down every single detail. Just let your body react but nit with your thiughts. With your mund do some slow belly breathes and focus on nothing at all. I have been doing this for over a week and its weakening the atta ks nicely but theres no room for error . I keep stopping any false anxiety thoughts that want to creep in my thoughts.the ohysical reaction just happens so i niw have learned what my bidy does during an attack so i ignire thise symptoms and tell my self i got this and im nit going to feed into it it is anxiety.. Sounds so simole but honestly its working.i want them to stop and i have decieded the panic atta ks are worse then any imagined ailment. They suck the life from me and my soul and i dint want them to win. But attitude must be present. Your bidy is in habit of how it cooes, but your mun can be retrained and eventually, slowly the whole body will work together. Good days and bad days but every moment is fine to start again. A few days ago i thought i was dine and had gone mad and got very dissapointed but the last couple of days have been okay and i have gathered the needed stregnth to believe i can and will re learn proper coping mechasisms and wont feed into the panic. Medicine is heloful, but you need you and your mind to retrain yourself and how you negatively think and feed the anxiety as a result. Very difficult to do but ince you do its really lively and the attacks dont last near as long and fade off. Im  hoping as each day foes by i get better and better at this but i refuse to even plan ahead. I just live right in the exact moment. Too fragile to do anything else. Anyone around you gets too negative close them out of your mind.
  • Posted

Having trouble with the keyboard..sorry about the spelling
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa smile I'm not going to give up, I have been through it before just having a bad week I think and doesn't help when you are in the house all day yourself as I am off work with it- just get into my head sometimes that I need to go to the hospital lol which I know I wouldn't ever do!
  • Posted

Yes I wake up every morning with severe butterflies in my stomach, that is where anxiety effects me most. I have high levels of fear and worry and the anxiety is so intense all the time it makes me very on edge and moody.

I am not allowed citalopram type drugs as I am a heart patient (dilated cardiomyopathy and atrial fibrillation) and they are dangerous for me.

Fortunately I got my diazepam today 28 a month but find myself going through them in 2-3 weeks.

I wish I could afford therepy.

I am sorry I am unable to offer you any advice as I have the same symptoms but I wish you the best.

• Posted

Do you not get therapy on the NHS Walter? I'm just waiting on CBT the now!! And thanks I'm sure it will pass, it does usually but today I just feel it's been constant.
    • Posted

Waste of time trying to get therapy on ther NHS. All services are full up. Only way is private, £60 a session.
  • Posted

I've had anxiety,depression on and off for the last 20 years.at first I wanted rid of it completely but soon realized that it was something that I was going to have to live with in one form or another..don't give into it fight it and try everything and anything to keep it at a level where it doesn't take over your whole life.

At the start I was housebound for almost 3 years then decided enough was enough..I got medication and therapy which eased it to the point where I get out even if it isn't too far from my home.

I still have bad times when put into stressful situations and at times I get very negative thoughts but I battle through them.

Talk to people and tell them how you feel,it really helps,hiding your condition is the worst thing to do it only increases the stress.

John

• Posted

Thanks john I've been doing this and everyone is very understanding, been battling this for 6 years aswell after I had my daughter but it came to a holt a few weeks ago and I've had to go sick from work for a bit while I get through it but I think when you are in the house it kinda makes it worse but I couldn't face work. I was fine yesterday so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day smile xx
    • Posted

Luckily for me my wife is with me most days but I feel like I'm burdening her a lot of the time.

I haven't worked since the anxiety began and now because of changes to the welfare system I,m getting pressured to find something but the job center advisors have no clue how complex and severe my problems are,I'd love to get up and go to work but I feel a long way from doing that.

I too am waiting to have CBT...I had it about 8 years ago and it gave me a good understanding of how my anxiety works..it never cured me but did help and having someone outside your family to talk to does help...I'm hoping the next CBT course will have new and updated ideas that may make my condition that bit easier to deal with..and even if it doesn't I will search out the next thing that will work..I have my initial appointment on the 10th of Feb so fingers crossed.

John.

• Posted

Fingers crossed john I wish you all the best smile wouldn't wish anxiety on my worst enemy and it's hard for family members to understand it, apart from a few who have had it in their life's!! you just feel completely mad at times with it!! I've never had CBT only counselling three times which helps at the time but eventually it returns, this is the first time I've been on meds- never wanted them but just felt I couldn't deal with it on my own anymore!! CBT are sending me out a questionnaire and then I'll go from there X
    • Posted

we might end up at the same clinic.lol.

i would advise anyone to try CBT and i know they are updating their techniques and methods all the time so it might just work.

the person who treated me last time was a psychiatrist as before i was only seen by mental health councillors.they were understanding and i appreciated all their help but i found the sessions with the psychiatrist understandably more indepth and rewarding.

as i said before it never cured me but did give me a much better understanding about the thought processes during anxiety.

and at the moment i'm struggling quite bad so anything i can do to even ease it slightly i will try.

john.

it's better than doing nothing,as you say i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Posted

Thanks john smile and apparently the CBT I'll b doing is over the phone or something so we shall see how that goes!! Hope you are well today, I've been up and down as usual but feeling not bad for now!!
    • Posted

Yeh I know I'm not sure if I picked her up wrongly or not but will wait and see when the questionnaire thing comes in, doesn't sound fantastic to me either xx
    • Posted

Is that IAPT the new service for anxiety and depression.

They are not trained counsellors just youngsters with psychology degrees.

Useless

• Posted

i know they do CBT courses over the phone but wouldn't advise it unless you can not get out the house...the face to face CBT is the way to go and you should ask/demand that..even if you don't find the course itself helps you will probably find the process of getting out and talking to someone very helpful...i know i did...that was about 8/9 years ago.

i have an appointment on the 10th feb to see if a further course will help or try something else.

to be honest the way i'm feeling i will try anything but walter is right a lot of these new things are operated by trainees.

i think we have all suffered enough and deserve the best treatment there is. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.