Anxiety Hacks?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been struggling with terrible general anxiety and health anxiety.  (They tag team each other.)  I have some things I do regularly to help.

Exercise

Journaling

Vitamin supplements

less overtime at work

lorezepam .5 as needed  

bedtime ritual to help sleep (it keeps me wearing my retainer, but I do not sleep well.)

But I am completely psychologically destroyed when I have a physical symptom and the anxiety takes over. Any sugestions would be much appreciated, ladies! 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Maddysmom,

Sorry to hear about your anxiety!  It's a drag!  Things that help me are Lavender aromatherapy and music.  I never believed in aromatherapy until I tried it.  google it...there is scientific evidence it works on your brain.  Listen to calming music can help too or any kind of music you enjoy...even edgy/upbeat music if you are in the mood for it...it helps release endorphins in your brain....

hope this helps....now go chillax smile

• Posted

I could have written this post.  I am 51 and all of this rubbish started two years ago.  I still get regular (and newly debilitating, heavy) periods.  I have contended with anxiety and OCD most of my adult life and have been able to manage pretty well, until recently.  I have been in therapy for the past year, which has helped greatly.  I also meditate and am listening to Eckart Tolle, who is life changing.  Take an ativan .5 (along with an antidepressant), as well.  In retrospect, I am much better than last year.  However, I still have to "deal" with the racing thoughts.  They do not evaporate.  Some days are great.  Others, not as much.  Of course, when things are "good", I am already worrying about the next "speed bump".....which sucks.  My moods can change drastically, within a day.  You are not alone.  Doom and gloom can reemerge, in a heartbeat.  Just have to realize that these thoughts will pass.  Medicate.  Focus on the present moment.  Find small tasks to complete.  The ladies on this site are life savers.  

• Posted

Ugh....I meant, MEDITATE!!!!  LOL.  Although medication can be essential.  Like ativan.  And a glass of wine!!
    • Posted

Hi Amalie...lol. Medicating does help for sure! Just a thought and a question:

How long have you been taking Ativan? My GP took me off of it 2 years ago, after taking it for years with severe anxiety and depression. At the time, I thought it was just withdrawals, but I now believe NOT taking it made my perimenopause WAY worse! Haven't had a period in 9 months. Haven't seen my gyn in couple of years. Forcing myself to go Monday. He's been my surgeon/doc for 20 some years. Hopeful HRT is all I need. My sleep is ALL screwed up. I will be 50 at the end of the year. To make an already long question short; how long have you been taking Ativan, and have you ever stopped taking it before you became menopausal?

• Posted

Just be grateful that you can actually go to work ! There are many women on here like myself whereby this transition has literally made them sick !! Our life and social engagements have stopped and we can’t even make it to the supermarket !

Just have confidence that you ARE healthy !! 

Get all your blood work done to keep your mind at rest . I just had mine done and im very healthy however I feel terrible most days and it’s affecting life immensely ... go figure .. this crazy rollercoaster ride is the worst thing I’ve been through . 

• Posted

I have to agree.  As hard as it is to get through the work week with the peri madness going on, I’ll take it because it forces me to focus on something else at least some of the time.  
  • Posted

Following. I have horrible anxiety as well. Progesterone cream seems to help, but I feel I need something else. Ugh!
    • Posted

Yes the progesterone is known for its calming effect and helping you sleep . I just put the HRT patch on last night bloody $200 prescription but don’t care ! I’d pay a million dollars to get ME back . 
    • Posted

I would pay it to. Would love to hear an update of how well the patch works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.