Anxiety in Pregnancy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I am 34 weeks pregnant (and only found out I was pregnant at 31 weeks)  and having real problems with anxiety - it's plaguing me.  I suffer with this normally but used to take medication (diazepam) but not I obviously can't.  Is there anything I can do / you can recommend for me to try?  I've tried all the breathing techniques and distraction techniques but things don't seem to be working at the moment,  It's affecting my sleep and my concentration at work.  Thanks for reading and trying to help.  Skipfem

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Skipfem, Wow it must have been quite the surprise to find out you were pregnant at 31 weeks! In a way I think you are very lucky, you must have missed all that morning sickness I've been having the past few weeks ( I am only 9 weeks pregnant, but really feel it! ). I can certainly understand you'd be feeling a little anxious about things, you and your body have got a lot of catching up to do accepting lifes changes. I am on this forum because I woke up this morning with this weird kinda worry in my mind...it was just all these thoughts from the past running round in my mind, really irrelevant and time consuming stuff...so i was doing some research online to see if it was normal for pregnant women to start feeling anxious, and sure enough it is! When we are pregnant we are very vulnerable and our hormones are going like crazy, we just need to accept the fact that we are feeling like this and run with it!  I have noticed a lot of people discussing all these weird meds that the doctors prescribe them, personally I would steer clear of any meds the doctors want you to take as they actually increase any anxiety and problems that you are experiencing, they may have a short term fix but they are actually very dangerous in the long run, I hope you have done all your research on the meds the doctors are prescribing you, and for anyone recommending anti depressents? They really need to be re educated. I find these things really help my anxiety, and so thought I'd share them.

Drink lots of water, cammomile tea is really great at relaxing the mind, essential oils 9 maybe go to a naturopath who can suggest certain oils that relax the mind ) rescue remedy yes this is great, nature...try and get into nature every day, walking or jogging, swimming or just sitting in a park with a book, exercise is great to settle the excess energy we have stored, trust me it works! Meditation takes some discipline, I understand it's not easy if you have not done a lot of it before, but 5 minutes first thing in the morning, make yourself do it, sit up in bed, close your eyes, breath in positive thoughts and breath out anything negative you have stored in your mind. Do the same at the end of the night before you go to sleep. And the last thing I recommend is before you go to sleep think of one thing, person, event, something that you are truly grateful for and spend a minute cherishing that, let that be what you fall asleep to...

I know I sound like the dippy hippy, but I'm not, i just really beleive in our own strengths to get us through, and our own minds power. Love yourself, believe you are worth it, smile! You are about to be given one of the best gifts in the whole world! Take care, D (:

• Posted

*sorry its not essential oils 9 that was supposed to be a brackett (
    • Posted

Hi, awh thank you and you don;t sound like a hippy!  I will definitely try what you have suggested.  i think getting out in fresh air is a real benefit rather than curling up in a ball in front of the tv.

And yes it was a big shock but yes I have missed the morning sickness and things so i am lucky in that sense for sure!

Thanks again, smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.