Anxiety is taking over my life!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've suffered with anxiety for over 9 years now. I'm still young, i'm only 21 so i feel like a lot of my teenage years were robbed from me & were spent severly depressed & not leaving the house due to agoraphobia. I don't work because my panic attacks are constantly holding me back & preventing me from being able to get a job. I don't like being alone & am constantly depending on other people to be around for me which makes me feel like i'm a burden. It's a very lonely place & even have support around you, it can feel very lonely and frustrating! I can't remember the last time when i felt panic free & felt like i was actually living a normal life. I take 200mg of sertraline every day (been on it since i was about 15). I've tried every form of counselling.. cams, hypnotherapy, priory, re-think.. but nothing seems to be able to help me beat this anxiety for good! At 21 i feel like my life is just over before it's even begun. I see everyone around me doing things & going out & having fun and it's soul destroying because i want to be able to do that. I have so many ambitions & things i want to achieve in life but i just feel so helpless all the time. Anyone relate to this? Or have any words of wisdom i'd appriciate it smile

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Claire I too suffer from anxiety, overwhelming at times but you should just go do the things you want to just let the anxiety be there, what's the worst that can happen, don't let discomfort of the symptoms hold you back, your 21 and should be excited about the rest of your life, I'm not saying it's easy but it's not easy sitting at home suffering either. Try & think more positive, go out and do something out of your comfort zone even if you feel your going to collapse..... You won't btw, time to get out of the rut.

Best of luck and keep us posted, we're always here for you your not alone 😄

• Posted

Hi Claire

You've already come this far . You have realised things are not right and something

Has to happen . You've suffered and now you are at a stage where your fed up

As nothing seems to help or ease the pain

i was in a similar position with paroxetine

It worked well in the beginning but then lost

It's potency . You become accustomed to taking your meds each day afterall its your routine . But for some the meds can stop

Working or they can work but not have the same impact meaning you end up feeling

Anxious etc . Then you remind yourself

That you've took the meds so it can't be that and you start to look for other reasons

It's like a vicious cycle. I think this is what

May be your problem your meds have stopped working I would make an appointment and discuss this problem

As feeling the way you are is not worth it

If it's not this then it's 1 less thing to rule out

Regards daz

• Posted

Thank you for replying. You're right, maybe it is to do with my medication. Thanks for the advice. Means a lot.
  • Posted

hello claire, im sorry to hear anxiety is difficult for you.ive had and still have anxiety problems ive had them for years but ive kept telling my doctors every time i feel im not coping and id advise you to do the same. im on a pill called quetiapine and i think im changing from slow release to immediate release soon. my escitalopram is also going from 15 mg to 20mg soon. panics that you described are the worst type of anxiety and id advise you to see your doctor. i think there are lots and lots of us in the same boat.
    • Posted

thanks glenn. a few people have mentioned about medication so i think i'm going to make an appointment with my doctor & talk about trying a new medication. it's worth a try. sorry to hear you suffer with anxiety too. i wouldn't wish it on anybody but at the same time it's comforting to know you have people around who can relate. it's good to feel like you're not completely alone smile
  • Posted

Hi just a suggestion may be some sort of animal therapy possibly with horses animals can be very helpful there are places that do therapy sessions with horses not sure where but may be worth looking into good luck
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the advice smile i'm a huge animal lover & am very lucky to have lots of pets who are very calming & always cheer me up! but the horse therapy sounds like a good idea & i'd never heard of it before so that's a great help. thanks so much smile
  • Posted

Hi I can totally relate to this I am almost 40 and have suffered anxiety for years especially throughout my late teens and twenties.  My friends would all be going out and about sometimes I would go but would spend the day obsessing about it and worry constantly about panicking that nite.......this would ruin the day.  If I did go I would enjoy myself while I was out it is the anticipation I think.  I have tried to come to some acceptance that this the way I am as I have tried all kinds of therapy but it is hard coz when I do start to panic I go in a downward spiral about how awful it is and why can't I be normal and just go out without worrying etc.  it is only since I joined this forum that I realised I am not the only person who suffers like this.......I always thought I was as all the people around me don't have this debilitating problem.  I also wish it would go away the main problem for me is when I start to panic I get dizzy which can be quite severe and I always worry about people looking and watching me.  At the moment I am on 50mg sertaline I tried 100mg but found it was too strong and I felt worse so came back down to 50mg.  I still panic a lot but as long as I can do my day to day activities like shopping etc I feel better coz when it is really bad it is so difficult to do those normal things.   Good luck and hope things improve and you never know a change of medication may help xx
    • Posted

thanks for getting in touch. it's so lovely that everyone is offering help & advice to each other smile i'm sorry to hear you've suffered with it too. i agree, in some ways i've accepted anxiety will probably be part of who i am for the rest of my life but it's just finding ways of dealing with it so it doesn't completely wreck and control your life. It's hard to watch every one around you doing things you wish you could be doing. Thanks for your advice though, really appriciate you taking your time to write me a message x
    • Posted

I am 45 and have suffered anxiety all my life and also feel it has held me back. I recently sought help having seen my own daughter suffering the same way. Can't help thinking that you might be on the wrong medication. Sertraline is for depression which targets seratonine levels. I suspect your problem is anxiety so you need medication for anxiety which targets the release of adrenaline. You may have too much adrenaline running round your body which is keeping you in a constant state of flight or flight in other words, panic.

I tried Sertraline and had 8 migraines in 5 weeks having not had any for 3 years. I am now on Propranolol which is for anxiety. After just 2 days, I haven't bitten my nails which is a clear sign to me things are improving.

• Posted

Thanks phil. A few people have said about the medication so i'm definitely going to make an appointment with my doctor & talk about other medications. i think you're right & it gives me hope that you are starting to notice a positive change smile i'm sorry to hear about your daughter too. anxiety is awful & i wouldn't wish it on anyone. glad to hear you are noticing a change also.
    • Posted

Hi i had a severe allergic reaction to Sertraline have you  had any side effects with the new drug you are taking thanks.
    • Posted

Sertraline definately not for me. It gave me migraines, if anything I felt more anxious and bit my nails more vigorously. So far so good with the Propranolol. No migraines, feel calmer and have stopped biting my nails.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.