Anxiety is taking over my life!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've suffered with anxiety for over 9 years now. I'm still young, i'm only 21 so i feel like a lot of my teenage years were robbed from me & were spent severly depressed & not leaving the house due to agoraphobia. I don't work because my panic attacks are constantly holding me back & preventing me from being able to get a job. I don't like being alone & am constantly depending on other people to be around for me which makes me feel like i'm a burden. It's a very lonely place & even have support around you, it can feel very lonely and frustrating! I can't remember the last time when i felt panic free & felt like i was actually living a normal life. I take 200mg of sertraline every day (been on it since i was about 15). I've tried every form of counselling.. cams, hypnotherapy, priory, re-think.. but nothing seems to be able to help me beat this anxiety for good! At 21 i feel like my life is just over before it's even begun. I see everyone around me doing things & going out & having fun and it's soul destroying because i want to be able to do that. I have so many ambitions & things i want to achieve in life but i just feel so helpless all the time. Anyone relate to this? Or have any words of wisdom i'd appriciate it smile

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Claire I have been having attacks and dizzy spells I went doctor when I was little and he said I would grow out of them when I was 17 and just finished school thay came back Im 24 now and having been able to leave my house I went and got checked but thay couldn find anything wrong with me I'm on tablets since I was 17 but that seem to stop working as well I find it hard getting up and down the stairs in case of getting dizzy and falling im ambassing by it so i even have stoped talking to my friends I thought I was the only one like this if thay ever go away and I get help I'll let ya no
    • Posted

Hi Cindy,

can definitely relate to you with that. my iron levels are very low so i also feel really off balance & dizzy a lot of the time so i know how much that can affect you on a daily basis! & it can prevent you from doing so many things. if people haven't been through it then it's hard for them to understand so it's definitely helping to have so many people on here who can sympathise with each other & you know that you're not alone in feeling this way. how are things for you at the moment?

• Posted

Hi until I joined this site I thought I was the only one.  I also get lots of dizziness and worry about falling over and looking stupid.  When I am dizzy I walk really close to walls and bushes and probably look drunk too! It is a vicious circle I worry about getting dizzy and because I am thinking about it I do!  Awful and when I am really bad I can't breathe either.  This first started when I was little I got a dizzy spell out of the blue and doctors did not know what it was and years later it was put down to anxiety but I have tried countless therapies and they have just not worked, I just tend to adjust my way of life to the anxiety for example if I am going somewhere checking out where it is and the easiest way to get there and can I park nearby coz I am very comfortable in the car.  I am sorry you feel this way but it is slightly reassuring for me that I am not the only one who has to put up with this xx
    • Posted

it's amazing how many people are going through the same problems & can relate to all your feelings & thoughts. feeling dizzy is such a horrible thing & it affects us in everyday life more than people would think. it's easy for people to say 'just get on with it' if they haven't been through it. it does get to a point where all you can do is adjust your life round the anxiety. thanks for getting in touch smile
  • Posted

animal therapy ???????????????????/  a dog can help , but a horse is hard to find in england to stroke ,
    • Posted

yeah i'm a huge animal lover & i'm doing an online animal course & am lucky to have pets at home which have a calming affect on me smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.