Anxiety levels have heightened

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, I have just started flu, 2 weeks ago, for depression. My anxiety levels are higher now than they have ever been.....however, having read a lot of the posts on here, and being re-assured by my GP, I am determined to get past this, as I now know that it is a side effect. Hopefully short term??

My depression seems to have improved, I am not sat crying all the time.

Cross finger.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Titchy

Sounds like we are both in exactly the same place - except I've yet to see my GP at two weeks. I'm about twelve days in and experiencing Flu effects just like you. I'm really trying to get out to a DA meeting tonight but - well, I'm trying.

Good luck and stay in there - I've made the decision and intend to stick to it, hope you can, too.

• Posted

Hi Ttchy and Carl,

I'm on the same boat! Started taking fluoxetine 20 mg 13 days ago for depression (and also anxiety). The side effects are horrible! Never experienced such high level of anxiety for so long!

I will stay with the treatment until I get better!

Danilo

• Posted

Yes! it's the anxiety that is creasing me! Trying to control the adrenaline surges with breathing and staying in the here and now but that only works a bit. The knot in my stomach is all but permanent! I shall be very pleased to get past this stage!!

Good luck to all three of us - and others just starting out.

• Posted

Hi all

I'm on a different medication, but still an SSRI like you, which I've been taking for many years.  Increased anxiety and many other dreadful side effects are very common initially (think everyone has them), but these will go.  Takes a few weeks, but it's worth hanging on until you're through it all.

This medication has worked well for me and I've been well for ages! biggrin

Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Titchy 

your absolutely right it is the side effects i felt worse on fluoxetine than i dod without them for the first couple of months it does get better honestly! i remember going back to my GP after 8 weeks feeling so bad but he said it was early days, they do take a long time to get in your system and balance out all they need to. now 7 months down the line i have been to new york, been away with my friends, i look forward to going to work in a job that i love, i have a wonderful relationship with my kids and best of all i get to see my beautiful granddaughter grow up, life is good, and that is something i could not have imagined saying 7 months ago, i hope this gives you some hope, take care, keep in touch and good luck love sharon xx 

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Did you get blurry eyes and feel you needed glasses i am in week 9 and as i have health anxiety keep worrying but i know i am gradually getting better just have to stop worrying.

• Posted

Keep it up! Keep it up! Please keep telling us it gets better and the anxiety goes away! I need to hear that constantly!!!!
    • Posted

Haha .... yes it really does go away :-)

Sometimes though people have to try a couple of different SSRI's as some people react better with one than another.  But, don't worry as most people find they get better with any type of SSRI.

Just keep on taking the meds, getting through each day, and very, very slowly you'll notice the side effects will ease and you'll begin to feel lighter, warmer inside, and happier.  You might get the odd dip, but they'll get less and less.  These great feelings get better and better too.

It's wonderful being well again, and know it'll work for you all soon too!

xx

• Posted

My anxiety is still high. I had to leave the work earlier today, and I will probably work from home during the rest of this week.
  • Posted

Hi all. Thank you so much for replying to my thread. It is good to know that I am not the only one that is feeling like this. carl58303 WE CAN DO THIS!!!

I know that it wil get better and that I have a life waiting for me to grab with both hands when I am ready to grab it. So yes I will stick with it. This time I am determined that a life that I have been living is not the right way, so I am moving forward...............one day at a time. Good luck to us all. Xx

• Posted

Hi Titchy and Cate and Danio

How are we all today? It's only 9.30am but today I feel almost OK p not as good as I want and expect - but WAY better than I havr been for weeks!!

Pain killers for my leg pain has helped hugely - I've even been able to ID the muscle which is cramping and I know the stretch for it for hopefully I'll see an improvement in my mobility.

My really bad news is that my male cat has been diagnosed with a tumour in his head. If I can, if he's well enough, I'll have him home for the weekend to say goodbye. I have no idea how to tell the Vet to do what must be done but I will not let him suffer.

• Posted

Ooh glad to hear you're feeling ok'ish - think that's the start of the feel good factor appearing!  It should get better and better now :-) 

So sorry to hear of your cat ..... that's very sad.  As a cat owner myself (I have 2) I know how upsetting it is to lose a loved friend.  One of my previous cats grew old and very ill, and when the time was right I asked the vet to come to my house as didn't want to stress my cat out on her final journey (she hated the vets surgery).  Terribly upsetting.  Take comfort knowing your lovely cat has had a good life with you and he'll be free from pain. Bless him x

• Posted

Hi Carl,

Sorry to hear of your cat. I also love animals, but it is better for him to leave this life without much suffering...

I'm feeling better today than yesterday. I could sleep properly this time, without waking up often because of bouts of anxiety.

I have a boss that is very understanding. He knows about this and he lets me work from home until I get better.

I also found that not only my mother but also my father had/have problems with depression. So I guess I inherited a genotype that is prone to depression.

One day a time...

Best,

Danilo

• Posted

Thanks for your understandig, catecogs. Turns out I have "longer" with my cat than I had thought - a slow cancer so let him enjoy some extra time. He's eating for England right now - which is great because he had lost so much weight.

With pain killers working for my legs, life does feel better1 Two days now! I don't feel normal and good but way better than I have been.

Saw my GP this afternoon for the two weeks of Flu check-up. She asked if I wanted to continue and I said 'yes'. Next visit in six weeks time - eight on Flu. Jeez but I hope this stuff works for me!! and for you, too!

• Posted

Hi danilo

I'm not at all sure about a depression genotype! I'm much more a nurture rather than nature person, admittedly because I know so little medically!! I'm fairly well convinced that depression is a learned thing because it's always an emotional trigger that brings on depression for me. I'm walking along, doing fine and then wham!!! big emotion I can't handle and my place of safety, well known for so long, is depression..

Not many people know that about me and now I've said it on line.

Sleep! Glorious sleep! Oh! gimme some! How are we supposed to get well when anxiety deproives us of sleep???

One night at a time .........

Be well

• Posted

Aw glad to hear you have more time with kitty - enjoy every moment with him and spoil him rotten with yummy food :-D

The meds will work for you ...... :-)

• Posted

Thanks, Kate - would you believe he ate 200g last evening! and just now a goodly breakfast. Each day is precious.

How are you feeling today? I hope you have blue sies as well as here.

• Posted

That's great! Go little kitty, go! Yes every day is precious with our furry loved ones ...... enjoy every minute with him :-)

I'm feeling good today, though have had indigestion for about a week - something I had when initially started on Citralopram and it went away - no idea why I've got it again.  Bit uncomfy.  I expect it'll disappear.

Yes blue skies here and quite warm.  Very Spring-like!  The sun does make you feel better :-)

• Posted

"Little kitty" is an eight year old Bengal male! Guess what? Another 200g tonight. This is fantastic! He's slept all day, lucky thing!! Wish I could sleep all night!

You sure you have indigestion and not anxiety? My stomach was in a knot for the first two weeks but is easing off now - it is my monitor for how anxious I am feeling. I suspect I'll know when the good times are beginning again when my stomach doesn't feel full of lead shot!

I'm glad you're feeling good today, Kate - and hope it lasts all day. I'm fair but lack energy and motivation.

• Posted

Wow how lovely - a Bengal :-)  They're pretty.  Glad to hear his appetite has picked up ..... yes sleeping - I always say I want to be a cat in my next life so I can sleep as long.

I have wondered if the indigestion is a symptom of anxiety, but haven't got much anxiety at the moment. All very weird ...... 

Oh motivation - tell me about it.  It's like having to drag yourself sometimes.  I always find winter isn't a good time for energy either.  

Hope tomorrow row is a good day :-)

• Posted

A lazy day! It is  going to hurtle down with rain all day, apparently - it certainly is right now. A day for staying home with a movie and the cats asleep on me. Saves heating sometimes!!

Got to get some electrical power cords under the bed sorted out so I can swap an NHS machine I use - not looking forward to being on my hands and knees - it hurts and getting up again is a real problem. Needs must, though! Cup of coffee first!

Have a good day if you can.

• Posted

Hi folks,

Just a brief update. Today is my 18th day on fluoxetine 20 mg. The side effects subsided considerably. I would say that the chest pressure is 90% gone and the anxiety dimished a lot. Depressive thoughts come and go, but a bit less frequently. It will be great if it keeps improving =)

I hope you are doing better, carl and kate. I have been reading a lot about fluoxetine and similar medications. One important thing to keep in mind is that fluoxetine takes about 5 weeks of daily use for your brain to reach the concentration peak of fluoxetine. So not only the body takes time to adjust to the medication, the medication itself takes long to reach its full concentration on the brain.

Have a good day, and keep updating us =)

Danilo

• Posted

Hey! Good news, Danilo! It does sound like the Flu is beginning to work for you. Your experience pretty much reflects my own though I'm a couple of days behind you. I even get flash glimpses of the possibility of life feeling good again but mainly I'm demotivated. My physical problems play a large part in  how I feel about life, as does being lonely.  Really need to shake that last one!!

Yes, indeed! Five or six weeks is what I'm giving Flu before I make a judgement - till then it is commitment to a course of action - take the stuff every day, hoping it will improve my outlook.

Today I'd be out and about but my legs hurt and I'm staying in.

• Posted

Morning all

Yes raining today, looks like it's tumble drier use today ...... but can see a patch of blue sky!

After years taking 10mg Citralopram and being able to maintain my depression, then stopping them last year completely and feeling 'ok'ish' for a year meds free, I restarted 20mg in August because of family illness and the stress of it all.  Now feeling much better again I'm wondering about reducing them to 10mg as I used to ..... perhaps better to wait til the New Year.  Don't want side effects just yet after going through them recently when I restarted.

Ho hum ... decisions.

Titchy I hope your nana is doing ok, Carl your beautiful Bengal cat too and Danilo glad to hear of your improvement - that's really interesting about fluoxetine taking time to reach it's concentration. Medicine is amazing.

Coffee time ..... and maybe as it's Sunday a tsp of whisky added as a treat :-) nomnom

• Posted

You raise an interesting question for the future, Kate. How long to take Flu, assuming it works for me? When  and how do you decide to stop, and why? OK - four interesting questions. For the future - let's get on it first and past this phase of depression.

Enjoy your tot!

• Posted

I was on this medication for 15 years and felt wonderful the whole time.  In the last 4-5 years of this period I reduced it from 20mg to 10mg (very gradually) to see if I could still maintain that well being feeling, and I did.  Last year I wondered if I could reduce it further to 5mg and after feeling ok I then stopped.  I had some very weird withdrawl symptoms .......

Anyway, I had a shaky time - felt a bit flat, but not depressed or anxious, and reassured myself I could start them again if needed.  This year I felt ok-ish, and got through to August when I decided to restart on 20mg due to family illness.

i didn't consult the doctor when I decided to stop or restart them - thought I'd been on them long enough to understand them.  What I'd forgotten about though was the dreadful side effects when I restarted them!  They've disappeared now, and I'm plodding along - not yet feeling as good as I was before, though I do remember as each month went by I felt better and better.

Think you know in yourself when, and if, you want to stop them.  However, my doctor once told me I could stay on them for life if need be biggrin

A wee tot in the coffee was good this morning ... warms the heart wink

• Posted

Wow! That is some Flu-story! I would not dare mess about with my dosage without my GP's say so and guidance. If I get up there and a life back, I suspect I would want to stay there for the longest time - life!

If getting off Flu is like getting on it but backwards, I'd think long and hard before stopping!! Especially considering having to start again! But all that is way in the future for me - way, way in the future.

I'm beginning to suspect you live way to the north of me! - not so dificult when you live on the south coast, I suppose. 

I'm glad you are getting the benefits of Flu again, past the onset symptoms.

• Posted

If I knew that the side effects were so horrendous, I would have asked the GP to start in a lower dose and give me some anxiolytic.

I have past experience with citalopram and paroxetine, that I was taking for social anxiety (not for depression). And the inital side effects were not nearly as bad as the ones I had with fluoxetine.

• Posted

And yet Flu 20mg seems to be the standard starting point - and see how you go with regular check-ups. Mine were/are at two and eight weeks.

I'm not sure I would want to go onto anxiolytics/tranquilizers as well as Flu - even if the two can be mixed safely - for fear of scrambling my head altogether!

I guess the thing is to go back and talk to your GP if the Flu side effects get too bad for you. Thank goodness mine seem to be abating in the third week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.