Anxiety levels very high will fluoxetine work

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking 20mg of fluoxetine and 80mg of propranolol for 7 weeks now and it has improved my mood but my anxiety seems to be really high I am having sweats, shivers, head pressure, tense muscles, burning chest. Not sure if i have gave the fluox enough time or it won't help my anxiety.

I got diagnosed the meds mostly because I was suicidal from my own worries and thoughts from anxiety, my mood has improved but I have the above symptoms left.

Any advise will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I've been on fluoxetine now 5/months it took me 10/11 weeks for anxiety to stop i had propanol which gave me sweats and all you got i then went onto peryzine which I take low dose x3 a day i promise you it will stop eventually just believe it i thought I was being tortured for long time now I cope with life again I'm here if you need any help and advice xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply April it means a lot. I feel in a rubbish situation at the minute I don't know if I need to up the meds, give them more time or change them. All this has been triggered by me buying my first house then moving out and having to go back my parents because how ill I got. This is why I feel like I won't get better because the problem of the house is still there. X

• Posted

How long did it take for fluoxetine to.kick in ? Ive been on it nearly 6 weeks . 2 weeks on 10mg and nearly 4 on 20mg .. im.still feeling anxious most of the time and very agraphobic still doc has just moved me to 30mg which i havent started yet xx
    • Posted

No don't up meds give them more time that's all and as for your house problem stress triggers the deppression with anxiety so you got to try tell yourself if you worry about the house or not it still will be there it's not worth it x and as with everything in life it passes your bad rubbish feeling g will also pass xxx nothing stays the same just rambert emotions and feelings can't kill you please believe it will get better i promise you when I was ill i thought it was never going to stop but it did xxx

• Posted

Thanks April it really helps getting advise from people who feel/have felt the same because my loved ones don't really understand. I think it's just a shock to me because I have never felt like this before and thought after a few weeks I would be back to normal. Will try to give the meds longer I just feel scared the 20mg is not enough for me and I have read horror stories when people increase they say they went back to square one with all the awful side effects and I really struggled in the early weeks. X

• Posted

I promise you i felt bad to point was feeling i lost myself,i thought it was never gonna end but it really does change and get better I'll tell you people don't get it unless they're in our situation and feeling like this i will give yous a tip just talk to yourself in head or out loud say to yourself things will get better and repeat feelings and emotions don't kill always say that this will pass even when anxiety at highest level tell your self slow breathing and distract your panic with positive thoughts and the more you do it it gets easier,please know I was that bad i know how it feels to be so low but the only way is up just believe xxxxx

• Posted

I hope so April I really hope so.

I just feel because this was all triggered by me buying a house and moving out of my parents, when I'm better and move back out I will get ill again.

Thanks for the support really means a lot.x

• Posted

Hi abi,

i wish i could give you a hug and tell you everythings fine! Ive been feeling bad for nearly a year after an operation, im now into my 13 th week of prozac. 20 mg now 40 mg for five weeks my anxiety seems better now still there but im not taking valium now, so thats a big step forward.

you probably have read lots of posts here saying that it takes at least 8 weeks or more to become steady in the bloodstream etc its a really slow working ad.

i cant advise you of what to expect coz we all react differently, but i can advise you of different ways that may help you manage to get through each day,

Try to go out and do stuff, see friends, shop etc even for a short time. Have a walk to end of st, or in the shopping centre. Try to live with anxiety, accept it as being there for now dont fight against it. Use deep breathing, use words like calm and happy as you deeply breath in and out. Distract your mind, even if its just colouring in, a funny dvd.Set a small chore everyday, paint your nails, soak in a hot bath at night, use a little lavender oil on your wrist. Try to stop the worry by thinking positive thoughts, mindfullness look around you see, touch, hear, taste, think about what you hear and see. Think about fav foods, distract your thinking process. Self help books from the library that may give you tips to cope, pinterest has lots of articles. Read a novel, do you have a pet? Groom it, pat it its soothing i find.

tell yourself every day over and over what you want to happen ie i am calm, i am safe. Or anything that means a lot to you, say it ten times, ten times a day.

if i cant sleep i list in my mind girls names, countries, animals, start at a and go to z. If you start thinking negative thoughts go back to your list in your mind. Watch you tube meditation clips, music, sounds. Waves crashing on beach, or river sounds.

the more you fight anxiety the more it will overtake you, its not easy to go with it. Eat well, ditch sugar, sodas, caffiene, drink good filtered water!

try some vit D or Bs, im not saying this will stop anxiety but all these combined will help your body and mind manage this stressful period, so that you start to heal those nerves. Be patient on prozac, pop on this site whenever you want to chat.

you will improve slowly but surely, be confident! Its not a smooth ride but you are strong enough.

best wishes to you🌺🐸

• Posted

Thanks you carol it means so much for your reply. I'm going to write down the tips you suggest and try them. When you increased your dose did you have any difficulties I have read a lot about people struggling and feeling like they go back to square one and this petrifies me. I think I will need to increase to the 40mg as my levels of anxiety/stress are so high.

I want to just get on with my life this should be the happiest time of my life but it's been the worse. X

• Posted

Hello abi,

i didnt really suffer much with incresed dose just a few slight headaches, restless nights for a bit. But nausea ie dry retching seems to have kicked in, but anxiety is definately less. When i was 22 we contracted to build our first house, the builders were well known co, but months passed and no work was started after getting our money. We then had to pay mortgage payments and still no house, they went into bankruptcy. We lost a fair bit of money over it all. So that time in my life was horrible. So much worry, my anxiety back then was dry retching weight loss, insomnia.

at the present time im having menopause symptoms on top of CFS, so im really hoping prozac will work its magic on me, but i do know that you have to help  yourself, dont rely on meds alone, therapy may help. Talking to someone on a regular basis. Also remember that its an illness and its taken a while to build up and you need time to recover, dont compare your recovery to others because it will be different for everyone. Read about tapping, its like acupuncture you tap on places on your body ie beside eyes, under eyes, on chin, near collar bone, top of head, tap and say what you want to affirm. or put a rubber band round your wrist and flick it everytime you start to have those thoughts, flick it so it hurts a little, and as you flick say im not anxious, or anxiety does not control me. Always use positive words. Something that you find comforting, ie all is well, or i am safe.

im not a dr, im 59 have had a lot of ups and downs in life. A lot of stress, heartache, worry, i know life throws us buckets of sh*te sometimes, but know this, you and i are strong and we will get through this tough time. Time heals if you let it. But you need to be proactive as well as take your meds, these things combined will work!

chin up lovely lady!

🌷🌸🌺

• Posted

I can't see your last message carol it says it needs to be moderated

• Posted

Hi, yes i put in too much info re books to read and techniques thats why it still has to be approved. I can send it via private message if you like the ideas i have are ones avail online to anyone. You may not know of these different management theories. Im not saying they will work but its worth a try! Let me know if you want a private message from me.

🐨

• Posted

Oh right carol yes I'm up for trying anything sometimes I feel like iv not got the energy to try anything and just want to lie on the sofa but I sometimes I have days where I have more energy.x

• Posted

Really struggling today and questioning everything I just want to be better don't see how I will ever get back to the old me can't see how the meds will ever help my mind

• Posted

Hang in there Abi, you'll get there!  These meds do take a really long time to work!  I'm on 13 weeks now and my anxiety is much better but I'm still not right! There's a great thread on here somewhere and it took the lady a full 6 months before she felt like her old self!!  Such a long process! Xxxx

• Posted

Thanks Chris, I'm trying but today isn't a good day got a banging headache from worries and overthinking.

I feel like I don't even know what iv been diagnosed with I don't know if it's GAD, anxiety or depression all have been mentioned to me.

Oh that would be good to read.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.