Anxiety Med for Perimenopause

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi has anyone had to cave in and go on anxiety medication? Im 48 I believe my gut issues are the cause of my mental state but im also of age- My mother started in her 40's she passed in 2011:( so i cant ask her anything. I cant take it- too many symptoms to list both physical and mental. Excitibility and suicidal thoughts taking over.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi SUSAN.

Yes i have cave in my ansiety these week has been horrible with my heart palpitations , My reatless legs , lump in the throat . i take Ativan and i tried to take it as the last resort. my 2 friends die within a week of each other of sudden death. and im here with ansiety and im trying to do the breathing, excersice and seems not working. all my symptons started at 45 . this group brought me confort because ill be in the hospital every week and i know is all perimenopause and every time since 2015 all test i have which are hundreds of test , precidures from heart, colon , brain, mri/ct all came normal . the only thing is i have a cyst in my pitutary gland , and i have a benign pac which my heart beat beat extra but other than that is normal. oh i have my neck all mess up and i have migranes.

im 49 now im alone my hubby is on deployment and i have a son he is 12 and im trying to stay strong i want to cry but my tears wont come out.

stay strong. we are here and im here to talk

• Posted

Oh my goodness how awful i am soooo sorry to hear of your loss. That has to be so hard to deal with on top of how you are feeling:( I too have had ton tests, brain MRi, blood work you name it, everything comes back normal. I have a 15 year old and an 18 year old. This really sucks i will keep you in my prayers ❤❤

• Posted

hi susan

i went on meds over 10 years ago for aniety which seemed to work but looking back it was probably peri menopause that caused it. i am 50 in april and have not had a period for 15 months and my anxiety has stepped up again x what meds have they given you and what dose?

• Posted

Hi Diane i tried effexor 35MG once a day then twice a day for 2 days. It was the most awful experience I felt like i was on cocaine, if i had to imagine what that was like. I couldnt stop racing mind couldnt relax jittery hallucinated. I stopped, I couldnt take it anymore. The Dr I go talk to prescribed Luvox but im afraid to take it. I get weird pressure in my head like my nose is going to pop off- My sense of smell is heightened so bad its torturous:(

• Posted

When I explained my symptoms to my gp, she was dismissive and gave me the ole, "Get on with it" speech. She offered me Lexapro, but I refused to take it. The anxiety is overwhelming. Hang in there and I am sorry for the loss of your mother.

• Posted

Thank you Staci I miss her terribly:( My pcp basically told me im fine and to take medication but i so dont want to. I know a few people on lexapro and they say it has helped them a lot. My psychiatrist prescribed Luvox but im afraid but i have two teenage daughters i need to get it together.

• Posted

Hiya love

I tried when meno started last year, I'm 43. I found I couldn't get past the first few weeks of meds to get to feel better. It just made everything feel worse initially and I couldn't handle it and stopped. I wish I could just take a tablet tbh because its a full time job just trying to manage the anxiety. If they suited me, trust me I would take them.... But I completely relate to how you're feeling. I take herbal stress tablets, meno pace, use rescue remedy, hypnotherapy and meditation and just started acupuncture which is good. Xxx

• Posted

Hiya love

I tried when meno started last year, I'm 43. I found I couldn't get past the first few weeks of meds to get to feel better. It just made everything feel worse initially and I couldn't handle it and stopped. I wish I could just take a tablet tbh because its a full time job just trying to manage the anxiety. If they suited me, trust me I would take them.... But I completely relate to how you're feeling. I take herbal stress tablets, meno pace, use rescue remedy, hypnotherapy and meditation and just started acupuncture which is good. Xxx

• Posted

Hi:) I tried effexor i only took 4 maybe 5 doses and had to stop. I feel so overly sensitive to everything even anything herbal its awful idk what to do. I see all of these people taking supplements and feeling better and everything i do has opposite effect. Weird vivid dreams every night, extremely heightened sense of smell ugh the list can go on and on. Literally feel like im shuttjng down. I pray for all of us on here ❤

• Posted

Hi Susan, I tried Lexapro 10 mg for 3 months over the summer. After the initial side effects...I was kind of numb and no emotion all the time. Also, I would do something...example drive somewhere and completely have to memory of doing it, scary. I stopped it because I was getting a lot of head pressure and increased dizziness. I suffer with migraines so I am being treated for those...little success so far, All these meds trial and error. We have to be guinea pigs. I had no trouble coming of the Lexapro though. I would say give something a try for a couple of months and see.

• Posted

HI Lou thank you- tried effexor didnt make it past one dose one day then 2 doses the next 2 days. It was awful. I get what youre saying about driving somewhere and having no memory. I feel very disconnected. I also get terrible head pressure like my nose is going to pop off and my sense of smell is through the roof like im suffocating. I do know a few people on Lexapro that are doing well on it but like you said we have to be guinea pigs im just experiencing so many mental things im afraid:( debilitating anxiety, VIVID weird dreams horruble taste in mouth... so many other things that im afraid of adding on the side effects of a medication. Altho i guess it could help too im just too afraid to try:(

• Posted

Hi Susan, I am on nortriptyline...was told I have vestibular migraine. I have been on since Dec. I have had horror movie like nightmares since and have been sweating every night for the past month. So, I contact the neuro that prescribed it about the sweating and he said it is not a side effect. Although it is listed as a side effect. I went to my primary last week about it. Useless, took blood and prescribed me Gabapentin to help with the sweating. I am not taking it. Bad enough I have to take the nortriptyline, which is not helping anything so far. They prescribe all this crap and they don't care that we actually need to function. Totally ok to be afraid!

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I caved in about 2 months ago and started on 10mg Lexapro, i was having aniexty daily and panic attacks about 2/3 times per week which started about 3 months of not having a period. I have to say for me lexapro has been a life saver, i had some small side effects the first 2 weeks but after about a month i felt much better. everyone reacts differently though to antidepressants

Hope you feel better soon !

• Posted

Thank you I do know a few people taking it that its helping them:) I know i need to try sonething this is such an awful way to live. Not even living just existing. I hope you feel better too:)

• Posted

i am taking valium, pamelor, hrt, bp medicine

dint suffer we all need what we need ❤ be well

• Posted

Thank you Loretta I hope that is working for you:) I need to find the courage to try something. You be well also ☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.