Anxiety Med for Perimenopause

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi has anyone had to cave in and go on anxiety medication? Im 48 I believe my gut issues are the cause of my mental state but im also of age- My mother started in her 40's she passed in 2011:( so i cant ask her anything. I cant take it- too many symptoms to list both physical and mental. Excitibility and suicidal thoughts taking over.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I read these everyday. And this is one issue that gets more responses than most. This is a huge issue!!! And its not being addressed. I had PTSD from being a detainee of Saddam Hussein. That was years ago. I had to take meds because I had panic attacks daily. I got my head around it. The attacks stopped. I swore I would never have another one again!

In the last 2 years I was been under stress from bad neighbors the attacks came back. I got meds and I quarter them and take 1/4 tab when I feel anxiety coming on. If I have a full blown attack I take 1/2. It calms me down so I can get my head around it. I probably take a 1/4 tab about once every 2-3 weeks. The hormones are the tipping point. If I had stress and had my hormones right I would have been able to handle the neighbors. Do I want to stay on meds the next 10 years NO! So I take multiple approach. I got these really good CD's by Martin Rossman MD. I use them in AM before I even get out of bed. And sometimes at night before I go to bed. I started swimming in a local indoor pool. That helps. I changed my diet. I have lost 12 lbs. But 25 more to go. All this helps. But it has not killed the anxiety. So I am going for ovarian rejuvenation. I want to see if this will work. Google it. Many woman are doing it but you don't hear much about post menopausal women and the procedure. But one of the persons behind this movement has told me many older woman are doing it. When I have brought it up with dr's I am dismissed entirely. There is so much more to women's health. Don't buy the party line do your own research.

• Posted

Hi beth im so sorry to hear all you have been through. Can i ask what med you take? Part of the problem is that ive done so much research the past 5 years ive fried my brain. Ive believed my problem all along is gut health. Its like what came first the chicken or the egg- Does anxiety cause bad gut health or is a bad gut the cause of anxiety which makes it worse for woman during perimenopause since most of your hormones are produced in your gut? Ive never felt control of my body but the past 5 years have been the worst and still going down hill as ive developed an eating disorder i fear food. I dont know if anxiety med will make my gut issues worse and the symptoms in my head. I absolutely believe you were dismissed, anytime id ask my dr a question he'd laugh and tell me no it wasnt true and to take simething there was nothing more he could do. wouldnt wish this on my worst enemy. I know its wrong but its so hard being around people who are in control and happy and relaxed and then i feel ashamed if myself because there are so many people suffering with worse. I pray for all of us ❤

• Posted

Hi Susan

My doctor prescribed anxiety tablets for me and i had a side affect so i stopped taking them, i also have gut issues mine is acid reflux, ive had this for months now, im on omoprazole and ranatadine so hope this helps, ive gone onto HRT and i think this is helping, im trying to manage my anxiety by walking and keeping busy. Ive been going through the menopause for 5 years now im 49... Hope you start feeling better soon.

• Posted

the gut is where my anxiety affects me the most. acid reflux, nausea, vomiting when really bad. i recently had my gallbladder removed. hope you get relief soon.

• Posted

Hi Sharon thank you:) Thats what im afraid off all the side effects. I just dont want to put it in my body. I get a ton of gas literally feel like my body processes nothing. Have spent so much money on drs, integrated, holistic, tests, supplements. Trying the whole meditation deep breathing but that doesnt really do much because im too racy and cant focus haha. Doesnt help being in an extremely unhappy marraige also and feeling too sick to make a change. I'll be 48 in a month. When you say youve been in menopause 5 years do you mean you havent gotten a period in 5 years?

• Posted

Hi Susan

I went through a nasty divorce 5 years ago worst time of my life, i went to drs and they wanted to put me on happy pills which i took for a few weeks but i still didnt feel good so i had bloods done and they said my hormone level was very low and suggested HRT, i havent had a period for 17 yrs as i had thr lining of my womb burnt away because i was so heavy! ive gone onto another HRT because the other wasnt helping, ive had bloods done recently as my hair was falling out, pins and needles, palpitations and an anxiety attack at 2 in the morning which was very scary! all came back normal! my anxiety seems to be in my tummy which is causing the acid, my chest constantly burns as dies my throat and tongue, ive had a camera down my throat and they said all was ok, its so hard knowing what to eat, im constantly burping and my tumny sounds like a washing machine hahaha x

• Posted

HI Susan, im also 48 and having awful symtoms, i feel like im going mad, its the off balance funny head and the buzzing/ whoshing noise in my ears that feels never ending, im on beta blockers to help with the aniexty they help with the heart palps but not the other symtoms i also lost my mum so have no one to talk to, i feel like im on a rollercoaster with no end in sight feel so low at the moment

• Posted

I also have ...the off balance funny head and the buzzing/ whoshing noise in my ears that feels never ending. For me it's been going on for almost a year, it all started with anxiety and palpitations. I am not taking any meds, trying to cope with anxiety by eating right, keeping same schedule for sleep, exercise and yoga. I am hoping once anxiety gets under control other symptoms will subside. but I'll be honest, there are days when I feel I should try some anxiety pills or HRT. I also have terrible tension headaches 24/7. I can't wait for all this crap to end. But meanwhile trying to keep positive attitude and eating healthy. hugs to all of you ladies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.