Anxiety medication for IBS

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has taken anti-anxiety medication to help with their IBS?

I suffer with anxiety, and I also suffer with fairly bad IBS. My stomach is pretty much on my mind all the time...then it plays up...which makes me more anxious...which makes my stomach worse...which then makes me more anxious. So just a vicious cycle.

My doctor did recommend a couple of years ago that he thought that I should go on anti-anxiety medication as he said that that would be tackling the route of the problem, but I said no. He said he thought it was strange that I was happy to take medication for IBS (imodium, buscopan etc) but not for my anxiety.

I think I'm just worried about taking something that is going to affect my brain chemicals etc. but I feel like I've got to the point now where my anxiety is getting worse, and I can't really deal with these stomach issues any more!

Just wondered if anyone else has turned to anti anxiety medication for their IBS and if it made a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Vicky

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Vicky I responded earlier but they blocked me because I mentioned that I use medical weed and C, B, D, pills to manage my anxiety. I have tried just about all the medications used for anxiety but the best results I have achieved has been with C. B. D. Pills. Don’t spell out Mary Jane or related terms, I get blocked otherwise 
    • Posted

tried to send you a link for a good article but was blocked again, sorry 
    • Posted

I had no idea those suggestions could be blocked… Is this in the United States?  Here, in Canada, they are trying to promote this for anxiety, pain, etc. (But of course, Government controlled). LOL

• Posted

They are not necessarily blocking information but... they are monitoring what words are being used like the weed word, lol. This site is UK based. I’m in the states, Maine, where medical weed is legal. 
    • Posted

Ohh… that's what it is.. the wording!  LOL!

Here, in Canada, medical weed is slowly becoming legal, but having a tough time being accepted.  Out in British Columbia, it's completely different… totally a part of life. Takes time, I guess.  My appointment is for next Wednesday (a three month wait), and I HOPE it helps.

I'd like to see some of the legal people (and doctors and nurses here) come down with IBS, and I think the process might be a lot faster!!!  

I have high hopes for this, but don't know if it will work.  Do you know?

• Posted

Meg for me the C B D  did seem to work. The hardest part was getting the dosage correct. 

The last time I went to the dispensary they suggested a combination of T H C pills and moringa to get my inflammation under control, but I can’t experiment while I’m in a flare. Maybe once may surgeries are done I’ll consider it if I still have issues

• Posted

Lol I don’t know what triggered the moderation this time, it is actually kind of frustrating as i’m Only trying to help. It’ll show up in 24-48 hours 
    • Posted

Thank you… I'm going to my family doctor today, and will ask him if he can prescribe Hyoscyamine (I don't know if it's available in Canada)..  hope so.  

• Posted

Meg it has other names as well, I think one is levsin. I’m sure they have something similar if not the same. I use the sublingual pill, which helps when you have cramps because you don’t have to swallow it, just put it under your tongue and 10-15 minutes it works. 

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thanks so much for this information. the sublingual pill sounds wonderful. The cramps are just horrible, and changes your lifestyle dramatically - Every time I think I'm ok, and for a few days feel normal, it hits again!  Consoling, but not for you, that I'm going through the same pain.  When I came down with this, I thought I was the only one.

• Posted

Meg you are welcome, I’m very happy to help, I think it’s the educator in me. I haven’t taught school since May and I’m starting to miss it a bit. 

Knowledge is power!

• Posted

I'm a retired teacher, and was intending to do 'part time' teaching when this hit me.  I really miss my students, and the college itself.  (of course, right now, our Ontario colleges are on strike.. )

I guess I should be grateful that this IBS didn't hit while I was teaching.. how dreadful for you.

• Posted

Wow I didn’t know Colleges could strike! 

I teach at a college as well. I’m hoping to be back for the spring semester, 20 years and counting for me. 

What at did you teach? I teach Computer Aided Drafting and Design at a community college. 

• Posted

Yes,  Unfortunately,  Community Colleges in Ontario can strike (CUPE).  Six years ago we had a strike and it lasted six weeks.  They are doing the same thing again - mediation talks after 3 weeks, no agreement - another 3 weeks and then they ended the strike with NO changes - salary, benefits, anything.

I taught computers (MicroSoft), Human Resource Management and Office Communication skills (as if there is such a thing!).  I taught there I felt I lived there!  (night school included),  30 years. 

Congratulations on being able to teach Computer Aided Drafting - that is a  real skill, and I'm glad you are able to go back and teach in Spring Semester.

• Posted

Just a minimal correction here… our community colleges are not CUPE, but are he Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU; other government workers are CUPE.

Having a really bad attack today… trying your suggestions.. thank you.  I particularly like your website and will do some further research on varieties of pain-killing marijuana strains before my appointment next week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.