Anxiety medication for IBS

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has taken anti-anxiety medication to help with their IBS?

I suffer with anxiety, and I also suffer with fairly bad IBS. My stomach is pretty much on my mind all the time...then it plays up...which makes me more anxious...which makes my stomach worse...which then makes me more anxious. So just a vicious cycle.

My doctor did recommend a couple of years ago that he thought that I should go on anti-anxiety medication as he said that that would be tackling the route of the problem, but I said no. He said he thought it was strange that I was happy to take medication for IBS (imodium, buscopan etc) but not for my anxiety.

I think I'm just worried about taking something that is going to affect my brain chemicals etc. but I feel like I've got to the point now where my anxiety is getting worse, and I can't really deal with these stomach issues any more!

Just wondered if anyone else has turned to anti anxiety medication for their IBS and if it made a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Vicky

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too, have always said no to anti depressents or anxiety meds.  I feel much of my anxiety is not an issue as long as I have a bit of control over being able to leave if need be, etc.  I have said on here that Triphala has helped me a ton with my IBS C, I still occasionally need a push to go completely, but the awful debilitating cramping and misery so far, has not happened since I started taking it.  Which helps me not be so anxious about other things.
    • Posted

Julie thanks for the tip on Triphala, I haven’t heard of that one yet. I looked it up and it sounds like it could be beneficial. My cramps are excruciating as well, I use hyoscyamine to help when the cramps start and usually they stop within 10-20 minutes. 
  • Posted

I had no qualms in accepting anxiety meds to alleviate the discomfort of IBS. Unfortunately having them prescribed long term has become difficult as doctors are limiting their use. I have had to switch to SSRI and SNRI meds which seem to help and there is no problem with long term use. 
    • Posted

HI James,

Thanks for your reply.  I think SSRI meds are what my doctor suggested a couple of years ago. Did you find you had any bad side effects with them?

• Posted

Hi the clever people in the know on here suggest Kefir if you can tolerate milk.  I've just got some. Also you can buy an immunity tea! 

• Posted

Hi. I have suffered from IBS C for years. After colonoscopy was told I had UC. Was put on medication but the consultant didn’t think I was showing typical symptoms so sent me to a dietitian and I have been following the FODMAP diet for 10 days. The results are amazing. However, 3 weeks ago, my gp put me on sertraline for anxiety. 2 weeks of hell with side effects. This past week has been great. I can’t believe it. After years of misery could this be it? Like you, I was very reluctant to go on anti-depressants. There is still a stigma to it. My gp said it was a medication like any others. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. 
    • Posted

Hi armelle,  I won't take them because I was left on them years ago, all my family think is put Sam on antidepressants as that's all she needs despite leaving me to cope with 2 rapes that I had to cope with alone for this many years 1 at 19 and the other one at 25. I feel terrible some days but not surprisingly I think you'll find. My doctor keeps a really careful eye on me and I've said if I self harm or bang her door down she can over rule what I say.  I also have ibs and anything chemical is really no good at all.  The counselling is strong and powerful but necessary.  I am taking an alternative though I have spoken to Holland and Barrett about non chemical treatment.  I am despite my past made of tough stuff.  But thank you anyway. 

• Posted

Hi Armelle,

Thanks for your reply. Would you mind if I asked what side effects you experienced? Im worried that going to work is going to be tough whilst getting used to them. Really pleased to hear that they're having a postive effect on you now though! 

• Posted

What can you take for anxiety and ibs I was quoted only antidepressants but I am not depressed! Ibs leaves you anxious I think in general,  I have resorted to Kefir milk and as many multivitamins that don't clash with each other.  I won't trust antidepressants they are chemical and interrupt your ibs.  Nothing with trine on the end.  They need to offer an alternative! 

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

These days, doctors you consult, they USUALLY refer Ibs to having anxiety disorder and they believe taking

anti-depressants medicine making our brain calm and at the end facing less problems relevant to Ibs,

?One of doctors recently I've talked to about my Ibs has prescribed me some anxiety disorder medicine,

I don't know why I should take such medicine while they make my condition worse , I took just one tablet, and after 15 hrs I've started to have severe nausea and dizziness,

So I stopped taking it.

I never trust such medicines!

They just make your body and mind numb and don't let you think logically! Only getting more distressed and agitated!

I believe the only way to control ibs condition would be by careful attention to our healthy diet.

• Posted

I don't think your doctor is right in saying it is strange you are happy to to take IBS medications but not anti anxiety medication. Anti depressants can be very toxic and cause nasty side effects.  I have IBS and anxiety. I only take IBS medication and this alone helps my IBS.  I simply accept my anxiety.  You would be far better asking for CBT or gut targeted hynpnosis which is natural.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.