Anxiety much worse in the morning!

Posted , 24 users are following.

My anxiety levels are much worse in the morning, i wake up with heart palpitations, fidgety, restless, shaky hands and general worry about the day ahead. Once i'm up, my heart races, and i gag, but nothing comes out because my stomachs empty, where i'm not eating. I also suffer depression.

Is this a normal feeling?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have some of those symptoms and morning is always worse, I think it's because we wake up and scan ourselves almost looking for anxiety. I am shaky and gagging and not eating are my worst symptoms, it's scare but does get better. Speak to your doctor, because of my history I get supplement drinks when needed and they provide me with a multi vitamin when eating is difficult, I'm actually going through a bout now. It's dire but will get better. Stay positive!
    • Posted

Thanks for the positive reply! It is absolutely awful, i'm competely sick about eveything. 
    • Posted

i think that's definitely part of it. it's one of those things where you just lay there and try to figure out why you feel like that. when i wake up in the morning if i have no commitments that day my anxiety isn't that bad, but if i have to get up for work or need to make an early phonecall lm a lot more anxious but it does improve when im more awake. so i think when i wake and remember i need to do something i scan my feelings and for some reason they feel worse when youre not quite awake yet. do you guys think it's a learnt behavoir that we get anxiety worse in the morning.
  • Posted

Hi Sam and Celt me to got it bad today,I wake up with it every day and my tinnitus is so high today but I think menopause can be lot to do with some of the daily anxiety as I have IBS and Gyne probs go hand in hand with menopause hence all this anxiety.How old are you ladies.Its the only explanation I have to it all . Don't go to bed till around 2 am sleep okay if tinnitus lets me,get up at 10am somedays I walk or pace till it goes down a bit.as I get further into the day it can ease off bit more if I'm lucky.Dont take meds gave up on them,so I've just this week gone on to Valerian give that a go,they say that takes up to 4 weeks,meds the same time frame or longer. So it goes on day in day out no let up .tend to stay in due to anxiety,never use to before this all began.None of us can fathom all this out that's for sure.xx
    • Posted

Hi Marlene, i'm actually male, but i'm 19 years old. So no explanation for me.

x

• Posted

Hi Sam didn't realise it was you.Hey Sam we've all got hormones even fellas get highs and lows.Your young wait till the male menopause comes along  lot of my generation will say males have bad days later on in life.Mid life crisis men get not the dreaded women's menopause.Glad your staying on site did you sleep last night any better Hope you've got a night out with your mates lined up for later xx 
    • Posted

I get lots of highs, and lows. I did sleep better last night, but like i say its when i wake up, i dread the half hour, of getting ready. Nothing planned for tonight, at the moment i prefer to stay in where i know is familiar, and where i know i won't see my ex, which would send me into crazy anxiety panic. 

x

• Posted

Know where your coming from Sam ,your be out and about soon,keep in touch with those mates how about a boys night in,gives you chance to chat about this and that how about the cinema with a mate.So easy Sam to stay in do that myself a lot, but I push myself to go out Sam no matter what .ive had this for fair while Sam I know how hard it is ,just got to read others on site all tell similar story.Set yourself a goal and aim towards it . X
    • Posted

I honestly don't really enjoy going out with mates. I'm quite insecure, and enjoy that special one that i can share, and spend every moment with. Knowing i have someone there puts my anxiety at ease. 

I hope all is well with you at the moment.

Sam x

• Posted

No chance getting back with the ex Sam.your who you are end of the day. I'm totally the opposite that's why I'm ticked off with this anxiety merry go round.Everyone gets unsettled being on their own whilst they have it ,it's an alien feeling to have,same for the seriously ill out there thinking I shouldn't have this. Illness of any sort is scary Sam that's what makes us who we are some deal with it better than others .Sooner or later all on here will turn that corner  you will to just not our day today on site hey and now it's raining here take care x
    • Posted

Like my councillor said, is it that i miss the personality, or the fact that someones there? If i was to get back with her, i know it would all end again. I think my anxiety is based around being on my own, and alienated.

The suns out here, but not for long i'm sure.

smile

Sam x

• Posted

Hi Marlene. It seems like you're getting it from all directions. I've have IBS as well as Crohn's disease. Stress sends me right into the bathroom. Lately everything I eat comes out 20 minutes later. When it's real bad I feel completely drained and like someone punched me in the abdomen.

I haven't hit menopause yet (I'm 49). But I dread it because I heard that it can make your mental illness worse. I'm probably starting peri-menopause because every so often I'll get hot flashes. My periods are still sort of regular but really crampy and heavy flow. Leaves me feeling drained afterwards.

My mom used to swear by black cohosh for the menopause symptoms. I forget what the other herbal thing was. But there is a few herbal supplements specifically targeted at menopause.

Did the valerian help with the tinnitus? Has your doctor put you on any medications. I can't remember off the top of my head what the medication is, though. (I used to work for a GP)

I take Prozac and lamictal in the mornings for my depression and mood stabilsation. In the evening I take amitriptyline (depression and sleep), another lamictal, melatonin (for sleep, and it really does work) as well as benedryl (I have the worst time falling asleep). I see a new psych provider in a few weeks and I'm hoping that maybe we can find something that will work for my anxiety. 

I've also noticed some real memory problems. I'll forget a word or what I want to say. I forget to do things. I lose things. But other things of the more routine variety I'm ok with. I think it's the anxiety. Or the depression. Or both. Have you noticed anything like that with yourself?

• Posted

Hi All, 

I came across this discussion this morning, and wondering how you are all doing now? I've been feeling very weak lately, depressed, anxious and stressed. I feel like it's never going to end.

I cannot eat anything and I'm crying all the time. It seems to be worse in the morning. I can't concentrate at work and im thinking irrational thoughts, which in turn make me overthink everything. I live alone and not in my home country. I do have friends but I dont want to bother them with my stuff and when they do ask me out i say no because i want to sit at home with my thoughts. I think of all the bad things i have ever done in my life and sit and feel guilty.

I'm so miserable and I fear i will never get out of this sad

• Posted

Hi, I've been through the highs and the lows and currently also in quite a low point.  In the morning it's awful but I get through it by trying to concentrate on something like exercise.  Although alcohol and cigarettes seem to often sneak their way in.  I can say from experience that it definitely does come and go even though it feels like it's never going to end.
    • Posted

I realise this is an old post and probably not followed, but thought I'd throw in my two cents worth anyway. I used to be like you when I was little. I'd throw up every morning and would feel like someone was choking me. I couldn't even wear turtle necks in the winter because I felt like I was being strangled. In those days you were just called "a nervous child" and that was that.

As I've gotten older, I still dealt with anxiety, but not to the extent it is now. I'm an overthinker as well. I was diagnosed as OCD because of my constant worrying thoughts and such. I also have generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety, major depressive disorder with suicidal ideation, and probably (but not diagnosed) PTSD. 

I've gotten to the point that just leaving the house makes me a nervous wreck. Before I lost my job, I would have complete meltdowns in the morning begging to let me stay home. Even if I have a slow and gradual start, it's still hard. And lately, I've been waking with horrible anxiety that lasts through the day. 

I'm not working anymore and it's just my husband working. Money is tight and we live paycheck to paycheck. This morning he got all mad at me because I'm not working. I can't find a job. I've been looking. I did back out of some job interviews a while ago because I just couldn't do it. I'm no slouch. I've always worked. I have an occupational degree as a medical assistant and I have a slew of college credits. I'm intelligent and a hard worker. I just can't handle a stressful job. I can't deal with even the tiniest amount of stress. It sends me into a panic.

My unemployment benefits run out in a few weeks. I've filed for disability but that takes upwards of 2 years before it's even looked at. So that just adds to my anxiety. 

I feel so alone sometimes. I get angry over my life and lately I keep wishing I were dead because I just can't cope anymore. I don't have any friends, except the ones on Facebook. And they're not really "friends" per se. Just people that are aquaintences. I wish my life would just go away.

• Posted

I'm the same way. I have had anxiety and depression for 12yrs now although I've only acknowledged it for about 5. The past year I've been doing pretty good but the past 2 weeks I've gone off the deep end again and it's frustrating. I was put on medication a few days ago and I am miserable. I wake up every morning and I am a wreck, crying, dry heaving, I usually don't eat until I settle down mid day, I have hot flashes. Lately I've been walking into work crying and I'm sure my coworkers are tired of me bawling all the time. I hate how you can be doing good for a period of time and then all of the sudden bam! your anxiety comes back all over again.

• Posted

Yup. I know the feeling. When I was working, my boss (a physician) would push me to the edge and I'd wind up in the bathroom sobbing my eyes out. On a couple of occasions I've just up and walked out because I couldn't deal anymore. The only reason she fired me is because she closed her private practice and went with an established one. She said she could no longer tolerate my "temper tantrums" and "outbursts" (even though she was the one that caused it and I have office mates who would testify to that). She so "graciously" "allowed" my unemployment claim to go through even though she could have denied them on the grounds of insubordination. 

And I know what you mean about it just coming back after doing well. Up to this point I was able to handle my depression and anxiety. I'd do the "suck it up buttercup" and the "fake it till you make it" on a daily basis. My daughter is the same way (she has depression and PTSD). You try to hold it together the best you can and get through your day. 

So now I'm this mental mess who can't function. Nobody really understands unless they've gone/going through it. I'm sorry I'm not working. I'm sorry I'm not a contributing member of this household. But I was the one holding everything together for the last 5+ years, even putting up with my husbands' drug binges (he's a "dry addict" and goes on binges for a weekend. He'll just up and disappear without a word and no one knows where he is and he doesn't answer his phone). His daughter and one of my sons has disowned us. I no longer get to see my grandbabies, either (my son has 2 step-children and a baby with his wife). 

I think his last binge this past Feb is what through me over the edge. One day he was supposed to pick me up from work. I had called to say that I would be getting out early. He said he'd come get me. (He would spend his days with his buddy who's disabled now due to a horrific motorcyle accident). After about an hour, when he didn't show. I called his buddy. He said that he had left a little bit ago and would probably be there soon. Well, 3 hours past. Tried calling hubby to no avail. By the time I called his buddy back I was a hysterical mess. He'd never done this to me before. It was not his "standard m.o." (he would usually disappear on a Friday when I was at work and had a car then). By that Friday I had actually called the cops and filed a missing persons report. My son and his wife came down to help me. That night I got a call from the detective saying that he found my husband but that he was told that my husband had said he wasn't sure if he wanted to come home. When the detective told me where he was, both my sons went there and grabbed our van (first time he'd done that). He finally came home late that night (his buddy's wife called me to say he was there with them and if I still wanted him home they'd bring him home). 

This was the third time he'd done this to me. I told him the last time that I may not be so inclined to take him back if he did it again. He said he didn't want to risk losing the grandbabies and everything we've worked for. But like an idiot I took him back, hence losing my son and grandbabies. I've been told by a few people in an addicts group I'm in on fb that I probably have a form of PTSD. I worry every day that this stress is going to make him start using again. I dread tax time (because that's when he goes on his binges..but only every 2 years). I keep telling him that. But he says he doesn't think about it until I bring it up, so stop talking about it. I know I can't control his actions and that it's not my responsibility for his sobriety. But I guess growing up in a household that I wasn't wanted makes me feel like I'm to blame for everything. 

At this point I wish I could just give up. My brain deals with overwhelming circumstances by making me want to end my life because I see no other way out. Everything feels hopeless at the moment.

Sorry for rambling on.....

• Posted

I used to get immobilized by morning anxiety, and then I found myself in a relationship while I was in temporary remission with a so called "dry addict" which is just a term like "sucessful racism" or "gratefully raped" it's all wrong and it lets people get away with their b.s. so much MORE they end up pulling soft targets like ourselves in. I've got a bunch of college credits for being a counselor social worker and was 2 away from my actual degree so I am not a professional. But I wouldn't be surprised if you DO have PTSD as well. I already had issues from ann earlier incident and my binge addict has restoked the fires of my furnace. I spent the night at my mom's so the anxiety shot me awake. But if I was at home, I would be feeling nearly as powerless and looking at all I've done that I have lost in this mix of my life partner choice and then my bipolar and anxiety problems. I have been seeing a counselor weekly since July and he is actually doing something to mobilze me to see past NOW and even to want to. I don't know how long you've been married to yours or how old your son together is,but I see we've both had grandchildren and I'm 43. I read your post and I subscribed to specifically reply to yours. People always say to single people with depression how the answer isn't going to be in someone else..It's sometimes the compound equations that created the questions which became other problems are made of the things that we let someone else close to us continue to do because it was not that bad,or that's just how he is, or it could be worse and it's not fair. To ourselves. I came into this world with my own circus, I ain't got room for no more monkeys! Just wanted to reach out to remind you that I hear you. YOU, behind the doctor alpha personality jerk boss and dry addict empathy-devoid spouse and kids trying to draw boundaries so that THEIR children will have a little less chaotic childhood than they have had, I still see you and you deserve a little more time to be validated and not taken for granted including by yourself. You're still in there so you gotta do that and don't give up what you have to answer for the partner who doesn't seem to have your back. What would happen if you went missing for a couple of days? I'm obviously biased but the post hit a little nerve and I was mad at the people who seem like they're not aware enough to sense the fact you have feelings. It made me less anxiety riddled and a little emboldened. Sorry for venting I realize I have not been given the other factors but still, you're not insignificant. Remember that much. ?

• Posted

Hi,

I am not sure how old your comment is, but I would still like to respond. Your post is exactly what I deal with, except the suicidal ideation part. I live with so much anxiety, OCD, PTSD, etc.! I wake up in the morning and my heart is racing. My mind goes crazy, I can't eat (5'1"- 101lbs), my thoughts are so random, I stress over the stupid things I have done in my life, my husbamd bexam disabled, we are barely making it, he doesn't want me to work, he gripes when I spend money, and it all just sucks. I do not wish I was dead beause I have 3 amazing sons and I know they need me. It would be selfish for me to want to leave this world, but I am so sick of feeling this way everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions???

• Posted

Hi I have read your post I suffer from health anxiety and the fear of death and dieing I wake up every day with this thoughts I tell myself I don't want to wake up because I no I have got to get through the day I don't no why I think the way i do i am in counselling At the moment and I prayer every night before I go to bed everyday I wake up with anxiety till I go to bed and I think about my heart most days I jest want to be normal and think like a normal person I hope you are ok godbless

• Posted

Be strong be positive you will get better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.