Anxiety or stress, can't tell anymore

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I've been going thru so much in the past 9 months, I don't know which way is up anymore.  My thyriod is hopefully going to get working right again.  My last TSH was 7.00 range 0.045-4.50, before it was 10.0, my endo had me back off the unithriod some and start over on it, I was alternating between .75 4 days and .50 3 day for a couple of weeks, then  .75  5 days and .50  2 days, just sunday went to .75 everyday.  But with the vestibular inner ear or migraine associated vertigo, the ENT is not sure which, my anxiety is just sitting here with me.  Its every day, all day, I feel, dizziness like i"m rocking/swaying, headaches about 2 days a week that make the dizziniess worse, jittery feeling, can feel my heart beating, pulse between 74 and 80, can't handle much stress, spent out by the end of the week after working 40 hours.  Its the anxiety that is just relentless, I'm not do for another TSH test until middle of May, I do notice when I upped the meds I feel it more, but with this vertigo crap which also causes anxiety and worry, I can't tell the difference anymore.  

I have been seeing a chiropractor for the spine and neck, also doing vestibular rehab theapy,(this can make the dizziness worse for a few days when starting each new exercise, seeing the endo, all i do is see doctors and wonder when I will get well or will i?  

I'm taking Vit d3 daily, b12 daily, multi, vit e, vit c, magniesium, trying so hard to be okay, but I never feel good.  The vertigo is just to much, everyday of this rocking sensation.  I'm tired all the time and scared.  I cry a lot and am down cause I can't do so much anymore.  I an't quit working cause I can't afford to.  But I think the stress is just to much.  I need to see a psychologist but can't do that either.  My ENT wants me take topamax for the headache dizzy stuff, but I read alot about the effects and things it causes so I won't be taking it.  I guess Im just in a vicious cycle now, with the anxiety and worry.  

I dont know what else to do, except wait and see if the anxiety gets better.  I do wonder if it does i"ve been on the unithriod since Nov 2015, I wouldn't think the med is the problem.  I don't know.  Do any of you have this same thing?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My tsh at its 'worst' was 7.8 in Feb....4 in March after starting on Levo. I also have inner ear infection (most likely due to stress kicking off Hashimotos etc) so cannot say why exactly I have vertigo. All I can say is that when my symptoms started last Nov tsh 4.2 I felt terrible...unable to function, so dizzy I couldn't walk safely with my elementary/primary kids at work. I'm on long-term sick leave - yes I cannot afford it but at the same time I'm looking at long-term and want to get well. I cannot get well if I'm struggling to do my job. And I hate doing a job not well.

I've heard alot of vits can help big. I've read checking TPO helps too. Sorry if its been mentioned - my brain fog is not helping me at the moment reading these but it does help me to read these as it shows me I'm not alone.

I'm currently on 50 Levo....my dr doesnt't want to increase but wants me to wait for my Endocrinologist appt in May. I'm on sick leave til then. I feel as if I'm in a mid-life crisis/cracking up/completely unable to deal with normal everyday things....anxiety and panic attacks...depression...I do not feel me. So I would think with a hypothyroid problem this can be a normal feeling.

I've read that if it is an auto-immune problem such as Hashimotos, then treating the symptoms won't do much. It's important to look at it globally.

HTH You are not alone

• Posted

Also just to say that a good dr will not only go by results. They will treat the whole thing.....each patient reacts differently to a hypo/hyperthyroid problem just the same as they will react differently to the meds. Not many dr's know this...they tend to stay focussed on results. Doesn't help us!
    • Posted

I agree Mary. Problem is how can we as a mere patient convince a dr that we are ill  with a thyroid problem?

How do we go about convincing a dr who may not be aware that the TSH test uis not a reliable way of screening of a thyroid condition?

How do we convince a dr that the tSH is unreliable as tests/studies have shown that the TSH varies throughout the daay and has been shown to fluctuate every THIRTY MINUTES!

Sme drs however will order a 24 hour collection of urine for urinary thyroid hormone testing.

Research has shown this to be the most reliable test for thyroid hormones.

• Posted

Chris - new to this site so still trying to find my way around......have you gone for 2nd opinion? surely that hypo result cannot be right! its crazy....I've read alot of thryoid info online and most ppl say they feel most well towards 1.0

Worth it to get a few opinions as mainstream seems to be uninformed.

• Posted

Hi Mary, I've seen gp, endo, cardio, ent, neuro, spinal surgeon and audio scientist, been mri'd 3 times, ultrasound and x rayed! Had so many blood tests too! ...seems all is ok aside this....
    • Posted

well over here in wonderful France they put you through gp, cardio, ent, mri....for me all was fine but I have symptoms which are extreme compared to my hypo results. my blood tests show TPO antibodies (hashimotos) but my dr and endo tell me since I have no nodules it's not that. (!)

I went to another endo and he turned out worse!

I wonder about where they learned listening abilities.

I know how frustrating it is to bash your head against a wall when you're not feeling well and the medical ppl do not hear you. There has to be a way!

• Posted

I'm not sure what the answer is. If, as I have, been scanned, tested etc etc and the only thing off is my tsh surely it's worth having a trial? The endo said I'd soon know if I didn't need it so give it a go. GP then disagrees...sigh
    • Posted

Hi Chris

Did you have any antibodies? What was your TSH and T3 and T4?

Sorry to ask these questions but ....

Take care

• Posted

Hi Karen.....on my last test a few weeks ago my antibodies were in single digits so well within normal and well below the threshold. TSH was 6.8, ft3 was in the middle, from memory range was 3 to 6 and I was 4.6, and ft4 low end of range at 14 in a 12-22, total t4 was 80 in a 64 to 140 range....
  • Posted

Has anyone checked whether your adrenal glands are working. If you have high cortisol that will cause anxiety. It will also mean the thyroid meds won't work properly.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara

Why is my posting waiting to be moderated?

Also adrenal problems affect the thyroid gland. Thanks

• Posted

Barbara

This is very true. 

Have you got any info regarding the effects of cortisol on auto immune diseases please such as the Gluten Syndrome?

• Posted

Make sure you put a space after a full stop else the moderating software thinks it's a url i.e. link
    • Posted

Have a look on tpauk. You'll need to register to get access. Then look in treasure chest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.