Anxiety? or Withdrawals?

Posted , 8 users are following.

New member here.  I was a 4-5 day per week drinker up till about a year ago.  Then nearly everyday.  1/2-1 bottle of wine per day.  ALways after work, and in bed by 10, up at 430, gym, caffeine, work, back home and repeat..Took a week of here and there.  Well, a long weekend with some real binge drinking w college lads and bam, acute onset tachycardia and extreme anxiety, dizziness.  I had a feeling what it was, went home and drank 1/2 a bottle of scotch but that didnt touch it.  Sufferred 4-5 days of insomnia, HR in the 90s, dizziness and 10/10 anxiety...

I stopped drinking for 3 months, then started slowly just 2 days per week, 2-3 drinks each day.  Over the New Year I drank 4 days in a row.  3drinks for 3 days then 5 drinks on day 4.  Last day was a Saturday.  I felt great on Sunday. Went for a run, hit the gym.  Monday around 4pm I started getting that feeling again.  Pretty bad anxiety and dizziness.  Not as bad as before, but had 3 days of imsomnia.....

I'm convinved it has to be WDs.  Something reset in my brain, and whether or not it is kindling or whatever..I'm starting to think that just because I can moderate better, doesnt mean that my body can handle the booze.  I'm 46 and have no other health issues/take no meds, and exercise pretty hard 5+ days per week. 

WOndering if anyone has undergone some mild/mod withdrawals.  Been sober for an extended period of time, drank a small amt and then had WDs?

Or could this last one have all been in my head and I have had a panic attack.  I have had those before.  Not often, and only after I had my WD.  I have no hx of any anxiety disorder, but did have some anxiety for a month after my initial WD?

If I have to remain sober then so be it....but man do I enjoy a glass or two of wine.....

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I never had any issues with anxiety at all prior to last spring.  And I would say I def had some mild/mod withdrawal after a long weekend following routinely drinking 3-5 glasses of wine per night.  WOrst part of the WD was massive anxiety. 

Now, I get symptoms 2 days later, and after having relatively little to drink.  Perahps I gave myself some sort of anxiety disorder, or perhaps it is kindling....where as now avery small stimulates elicits a big response.  The anxiety is no where near what is was like last spring when I believe I had WDs, but its still very unpleasant.  

I really enjoy a glass, and I havent had any problem with cravings, and have moderated successfully.  So we will see.  I'll take six months off.  Its been a week since I had a drink and still some very slight anxiety.  If it totally resolves I will know.  IF not, perhaps its off tto the Doc....However, I really dont want ot ever take an SSRI. 

Thanks everyone for the input thus far....Was hoping to find some folks that had WDs, and took some time off and moderated with no symptoms....They seem far and few between. 

• Posted

This anxiety problem with alcohol seems to be a reoccurring theme. It would seem that as people become more dependant, over a period of time, even small amounts affect the brain. A very worrying aspect for people who want to use TSM. I wonder if there are any studies which would support this theory? Hmm will see what I can find. Isn't there any meds at all that you can take for anxiety? Does it have to be an SSRI?

Kind Regards

JulieAnne

• Posted

Yes. On other forums I find this theme. Some research out of U of NC in rats exposed to alcoholic and being unable to handle stress.

This anxiety I suspect is a chemical/neurotransmitter response. It's not the guilty thoughts and worry that some folks have when hungover that lead to anxiety. It's the alcohol causing a rebound in the sympathetic nervous system and an extremely uncomfortable feeling.

In terms of anxiety medications. I'm going to try no alcohol for 6 months and see if that helps. Other than SSRIs. There are benzodiazepines. But their withdrawals are as bad if not worse than alcohol.

I've tried all the meditation and supplements. I hit the gym a ton. Funny.

• Posted

Hi Scotty. Thanks for your information. Well as for my other half, we will just have to see when and if he still wants to go ahead with Nalt/Nalfm and just pray that he doesn't get too many side affects from the alcohol. Dont know what to suggest for the anxiety apart from sobriety-difficult to achieve but if you can do it safely maybe the only answer. It sucks doesn't it? x

• Posted

well, 6 months of sobriety it is, and then we will see.  I did come across a number of posts in other forums of other "harder" alcoholics that had WDs, and when returned to drinking would get WDs after a LOT less etoh.  However, the etoh I returned to drinking was quite moderate.  2 -3 drinks.  Anyhow, I'll repost how this experiment turns out.  Perhaps whatever I have changed in my brain will revert back to "normal" in time. 

• Posted

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Scotty. My other half has had wds when he is down to 4 units. Took a lot of willpower to get to that point too from 30 units in a day. Which was achieved at 10% reduction a day over 4 weeks. Still got wds on last day- shaking hands hot and cold dry heaving and non stop hiccups which he hates x
    • Posted

Nice one scotty - keep it up - sounds like you may  have cracked it.

I used to have a bottle of wine a day which is 10 - but it crept to 15 and a weekends two bottles which is 20.  I seem fine on 2 small glasses a day now, apart from weekend when I will have a bottle on Saturday for some much needed kip.

Good to hear to are smashing this.

G.

• Posted

Well done Gwen .. I so admire you for tapering back like that, you have done so well and it's working ! . Something I have never been able to do no matter how hard I tried I always fell on.my bum. Better now with the meds tho ...wishing you the bestest...onwards and upwards xx

• Posted

Hi Julie Anne, is your sig other still drinking? and how many units per day and does he have any symptoms of WDs?  

Thanks and best wishes to you. 

• Posted

Hi Scotty. Not at the moment no, he has just had a medical detox because even a small amount now gives him withdrawal symptoms when he tries to detox at home. It has gradually got worse, over the last 5 years. He has to be careful now because he also is prone to seizures. That is another very scary aspect. Hope this answers your question x
  • Posted

Yes, great job Gwen.  What I am wondering though, is if anyone had experienced some mild/mod  Withdrawals, then was able to taperback without any problem with future WDs..   I am not sure it is possible for me for the time being, as even moderate drinking seems to illicit WDs. 
  • Posted

Spent a lot of time reading literature the last 24hrs. There is much more on this topic from first hand experience in the benzo withdrawal forums. The majority of those folks that have had benzo WD seem not to be able to tolerate even small amounts of alcohol without getting strong WD symptoms. It also appears that the benzo WDs a very severe compared to alcohol.

I've had a hard time finding personal experiences from folks that have had alcohol withdrawals and then at some point later on could drink moderately without illiciting anxiety or WD symptoms. I've read a lot of literature on kindling...also. Many say alcoholics that are able to get the things in their life in order. The things that lead to a drinking problem in the first place. That maybe they could moderate their drinking. I'm starting to think that some of the changes in the GABA/Glutamate system may be permanent.

• Posted

Hi Scotty yes I have been reading similar. Seems to be made much worse by kindling. My other have used alcohol to help him in social situations, he was very shy which made him anxious 😓

• Posted

Hi again, Scotty.  Do you drink a lot of coffee? Caffeine has an effect on the way your body deals with alcohol.  Lack of caffeine can produce strange, withdrawal-type symptoms when the coffee is stopped or much reduced.

I have just completed Day12 Alcohol-Free. No withdrawals, no cravings... no "helpful medications, just my Willpower and Myself.  It is strange, but is making me happy !

I hope you are finding the answers you need.

Keep Well and Take Care.

Alonangel 🎇

P.S. Sorry about the "Beaming" nonsense, I can be quite childish, for a woman over sixty !

• Posted

Hello Alanangel thats fantastic to read bet you you are feeling happy happy ,! 12 days what an achievment , keep it up and keep strong, you will be happier and happier and life will be more fun....Yes we must continue to be silly and have fun us over 60's lol

I would agree there that coffee can give weird withdrawals ...I just get a bit edgy and dont focus well which is nothing much but some people get bad headaches and quite shaky and bad tempered with reduced intake of coffee ...Nothing can be worse than coming off the booze though! Keep marching on... I have been wondering how you were doing and I like what I read 😊 .And it does get easier day by day.Keep strong x

• Posted

Well done angel. You must be very strong to do it on willpower alone. So glad things are going well for you xx

PS a sense of humour is what keeps us going. Beam me up Scotty made me laugh (sorry Scotty) xx

• Posted

Well done you Mrs.  Fab.  No nothing, that is willpower tested.  I have  tapered and going well.

Quite childish over sixty is good -  snap, it is called personality.  Go girl smile x

• Posted

quite right!! WIllpower is amazing and Alonangel should be proud of herself! Amazing and on the right path...Robin
    • Posted

Thanks, Nat.  I am very determined that this is the final "stopping".  I have stopped drinking alcohol, IT IS OVER !  I have just completed Day 16 AF.

I hope you are well and winning.

Blessings,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thanks, JulieAnne.  My physical strength is weak.  My mental strength is variable !  I have finally reached the point where I realise it is "Do or Die". I must DO sobriety. Simples !  

Well... not simple, in an easy sense.  I think I have put my stubborn streak to  good use.  

I want to be the Real Me, again.  I hope I like her... it has been a long time.

Strength and Blessings to you,

Angel xx 🎇

• Posted

Thanks, Gwen.  I am glad you are doing well.  

My previous tapering worked for some time, then, gradually...I was drinking more, although I was still taking the Selincro. BooHoo !  I felt that I was wasting the tablet... and wasting myself.

I feel totally positive about SOBRIETY, now.  Maybe God has smiled on my efforts.

Whatever works for each person, so be it.

All Good Wishes,

Angel xx 🎇

• Posted

You will love the real you. What a journey you have had but, which, has helped you reach your final decision x stay strong x good luck x let us know how you are doing x
    • Posted

That's brilliant news Angel 16 days is a huge achievment and you are so determined now...just keep going, we are all here to give each other strenghth and hope.How are you feeling ? We reach that point when we can do it no more going round and and round in ever decreasing circles ...why do we do it knowing what the ultimate outcome could be..and it's such a lonely place 😟

I'm doing ok and feel so much more in control of my life now .Started nalmefene on Dec 8th and it's doing it's job well..My drinking has decreased so much and the support on here has been fantastic ....Long may we all carry on .Thinking of you lovely lady and keep coming back xx

• Posted

great reply Alonangel. You mind and body has started to accept sobriety and it changes everything...your brain remembers things you thought you had forgetten...you look and feel better...4 certain! Just came back from office party at the boss's house and I was not the only one drinking only Pepsi....they all know I do not drink and have accepted it..have not even asked any deep questions why I stopped 4 years ago.....have a nice evening...Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.