Anxiety? or Withdrawals?

Posted , 8 users are following.

New member here.  I was a 4-5 day per week drinker up till about a year ago.  Then nearly everyday.  1/2-1 bottle of wine per day.  ALways after work, and in bed by 10, up at 430, gym, caffeine, work, back home and repeat..Took a week of here and there.  Well, a long weekend with some real binge drinking w college lads and bam, acute onset tachycardia and extreme anxiety, dizziness.  I had a feeling what it was, went home and drank 1/2 a bottle of scotch but that didnt touch it.  Sufferred 4-5 days of insomnia, HR in the 90s, dizziness and 10/10 anxiety...

I stopped drinking for 3 months, then started slowly just 2 days per week, 2-3 drinks each day.  Over the New Year I drank 4 days in a row.  3drinks for 3 days then 5 drinks on day 4.  Last day was a Saturday.  I felt great on Sunday. Went for a run, hit the gym.  Monday around 4pm I started getting that feeling again.  Pretty bad anxiety and dizziness.  Not as bad as before, but had 3 days of imsomnia.....

I'm convinved it has to be WDs.  Something reset in my brain, and whether or not it is kindling or whatever..I'm starting to think that just because I can moderate better, doesnt mean that my body can handle the booze.  I'm 46 and have no other health issues/take no meds, and exercise pretty hard 5+ days per week. 

WOndering if anyone has undergone some mild/mod withdrawals.  Been sober for an extended period of time, drank a small amt and then had WDs?

Or could this last one have all been in my head and I have had a panic attack.  I have had those before.  Not often, and only after I had my WD.  I have no hx of any anxiety disorder, but did have some anxiety for a month after my initial WD?

If I have to remain sober then so be it....but man do I enjoy a glass or two of wine.....

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't care how much a person drinks

If I drink 1 drink...it is possible for me to feel withdrawals from that drink within 2 hours if I don't keep drinking.

So after 3 days of mild/moderate alcohol intake...I'm sure you are suffering withdrawals...withdrawals can be mild/severe as you know.

You are probably having mild withdrawal...which I would drink lots of fluids, take vitamins and eat and rest properly.  

I know that alcohol disagrees with the body more as we age....from too much experience.

• Posted

and as Alonangel said CAFFIENE...omg...I can't drink caffiene for at least 3 days after a binge like yours...and if I do worse...I can't drink it for a long time.  It makes you feel really more horrible.

• Posted

Missy. So even one drink and you get withdrawals?? Do you think that once one has had withdrawals that they can no longer drink anything as they as likely to go into withdrawals? Kindling of sorts I assume?

So. I guess even 6 months of no alcohol might not even be enough. I don't. Wed to try that experiment again. But wow. Many on the moderation forums say that kindling is very rare. Yet I can't find a single person anywhere that has had WDs and can drink in moderation again

• Posted

Its simple.

We try to think everything away and then want to continue to drink thinking it will be different this time.

I have found for me...its never going to be different.

It seems with your struggle you are finding that it will never be different for you either.

Whether we want to put a word or term to the feelings we feel after drinking such as kindling..really doesn't matter.  What matters is we are feeling ill after drinking...therefore it is probably in our best interest to steer clear of the poison to begin with (if at all possible).

• Posted

Well said Missy. My hubby finds it very upsetting at the thought of not even being to enjoy 1 nice beer. We are hoping using Naltrexone with TSM will work for him.

He has told me in the past, that he is full of good intentions and usually starts with just one beer, but things spiral out of control very quickly. He has reached the point now where he cannot taper off anymore. A consultant has told him that his body wont take much more, as he has tapered off for many years. It's a swine isn't it? I do feel for him.

PS Because he can't drink then neither do I. Saves me calories! x thinking of everyone on this site as always x

• Posted

Yeah, I think you are right.  I have a pretty good collection of wine....and just watched my wife and a few guests have a few glasses at dinner.  No desire from me at all.  Those feelings I get 36-48 hours later just arent worth it.Whether its anxiety, WDs from Kindling or whatever....  I'll probably try again in 6 months, see if anything is better. But who knows, maybe I wont.  Other than those events last spring, I dont usually have a hard time stopping or even worrying about a binge.  We will see. 

• Posted

Hello JulieAnna. you are very supportive and strong although he is stll not coping and cannot stop. He is lucky to have you. Robin
    • Posted

Thank you Robin. He seems to be doing ok at the mo, altho I know he hates Feb. It's going to be a white knuckle month. Just praying Campral is working x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.