anxiety when your period should be happening

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello all...hope I have not asked about this before...! I am 50 years old and went into perimenopause back over 10 years ago due to chemotherapy. So at this point I get may 4 periods a yaer if that - It seems like during the times I should have my period I am so anxious it drvies me crazy! The other thing that happens ..I wake up in the morning sometimes and my heart is racing...like I am going into a panic attack before my feet even set foot on the floor. I usually calm down quickly but its so wierd..it does not happen all the time. Just wanted to know if anyone else gets the heightened anxiety and just basically eaisly "nerved" up! I plan to "up" my B vitamins too!  Thanks for any help!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lisa 

i am age 50, natural peri for ten years..

i am 16 months post menopause now, but when i was in peri and missed periods, i always had like a PMT with anxiety ... All the usual symtoms, ( less the sore boobs) but no actual period.. Sore boobs were my sign that one would come.. Didnt seem to get sore boobs when i missed one .. ( that was just me) 

also near the end, my very final periods, i got migraines, and felt very sick too

when one was coming, and did.

jay x

• Posted

Thank you Jay...it helps to hear this.. I too used to get the sore boobs now I don't get that just a bunch of feelings of doom, anxiety grr....everytime I have it ..I say to myself..now don't forget this so when it happens again you don't feel like you are losing your mind! 

Yes me too on the feeling sick! I will feel hungry..go to eat and then feel sick.

Thanks so much for your support !!

• Posted

Hi lisa 

so feel for you, if you were like me, towards the end of peri when i was having just two periods a year, then the final, thats when anxiety hit me the worst, i felt like i wanted to hide away, feelings of doom, no confidence, and would cry at the srop of a hat, at really silly things.. 

the B6 helped me alot ( 150mg ) daily with no missing..

I still get a blip day.. its not pefect..

if you feel its getting too much, dont suffer go and talk to a doctor hun..

my Gyno told me i had anxiety and i told him i was okay 😳 he said no, i think you have anxiety .. I said i had troubles sleeping etc..

he gave me 2.5 mg diazpepam for the bad anxiety times, to help me relax and sleep, cant say i have used it .. Maybe three times..

but dont suffer, seek some help .. we all need some sometimes ..

jay x 

• Posted

Thanks Jay, yes I will try the B-6 for sure! I am due for a GYNO visit so I will bring this all up. I am just bummed because I had a really good spread of not having this and actually having that feeling of "well being" that woman say they get when they are completely out of all of this so just another little bump in the road. It makes sense that the symptoms and anxiety would get worse as we get closer out. 

Thank you!!!

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay.   I can relate to you when you say you have been going through it for 10 years.  I have been on the roller coaster for about 12.  My main symptoms are anxiety, depression, night sweats and all the horrible symptoms that go with these.  My dips seem to come and go without any particular routine.  I can't even say I can pinpoint them to my period cycle.  As I said the dips just come and go as they please.  Now that you are through the most horrid days would you say you are a lot more stable than you used to be or feeling so much better than you were during the ten years.  I know myself that each time I am hit with a dip it seem to take away another piece of me.  I have lost so much confidence in my body and I can't wait for the pieces to come back.  At the moment its a day to day thing as I never know how I am going to wake up. The last month has been horrific again and it's so hard to stay strong.  Before this I had 6 pretty good months (not brilliant but my head was above water)  I to have diazepam and only take it when really desperate.  I had a bad experience with benzos when this first all started because a chemist gave me a dose 5 times the amount I was supposed to be on. It took two years to come off them.  It was a nightmare!!!!  Just glad to hear of someone on here who has been through it and seems to be doing better.  There does appear to be some hope for all of us.  I want to try and tough it out to the end and go natural.   I think if I have come this far surely I can go a little bit longer. (hope not to much longer)

I hope you continue to see magical days and the experience you have been through gives you an inner strength and confidence that you never thought you would have.

Take care

Raelene xx

• Posted

Hi raelene

well i can only say that for me ( i am age 50 now) about 17 months post menopause, no HRT just Vits and supplements... 

I can say, i dont feel like i did before meno, but then we wont as we have big changes happened and we run on low hormones.. 

the only thing i was told / advised to use was Estriol Ovestin Vaginal ovules, as for me when post meno hit and confirmed by Gyno, then other things start, ie: Vaginal Atrophy ( dryness) then pain, discomfort, reoccurring thrush, and even BV due to too much flora and high vaginal PH.

so it is new things to deal with.

also i have pulled my back out ( Saturday) and I am in agony.. i was only bending and it went, snap... think its pulled muscle pain .. 

So we bexome delicate and need to think about things before doing them depending on how we feel,

you mention night sweats .. I only had these when i was in very early peri.

i also had a few hot flushes but they went early on.

But, hot flushes day time, returned big time last summer for me, but eased off ,  still get feelings of bodily warmth but not like it was at the height of spanish summer here .. I just hope that doesnt kick off next summer.

i still get a blip day.. But over all not so bad .. Energy is the thing with me..

it drops like anything. I eat well and am not over weight, i dont drink alcohol.

so its all up and down even when post meno has taken place, well in my case any how 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Raelene, I can totally relate to what you are going through - I do hate when the symptoms are like a tornado and you try so hard to move forward and you do get tired of waking up every morning saying..hmmm is it going to be a good day or a bad day. I have tried a few things that have helped a great deal - one is I try to think of one saying..that I tell myself when I have these thoughts like for example - I say .."move your mind" which means I shift these thoughts and re- direct my focus (during times where my period should be here is the hardest) -

I love having a focus each day even if it is the smallest thing like moving some furniture around for a new look or helping a friend paint a room ..I have a huge focus right now I am completely my final semester in Nursing so that keeps me busy. Another thing that pulls me through is that all of these sensations and feelings are normal and they are not harmful and that this board is so helpful that we all can share what we are going through. Eating right is key too..staying away from sugary foods and foods with "added" or modified crap in it just messes with our hormones...ugh.! It is a tough journey for sure and believe I still have days where I depend on this board tremendously ..and I am grateful for it!!!! Hang in there!! We got this!

• Posted

Hi Lisa

I can relate to you and Raelene my anxieties are like a tornado to There are times they are severe and there are times that aren't just like my stomach problems sometimes my stomach problems act up like a tornado where I'm in the bathroom all day and night and somedays they are calm 

Its hard going through the change of life

• Posted

Hi Lisa.  It is just so comfortng to know that we are not alone in this journey and a rainbow will be waiting for us at the end.  It's realy hard to explain to someone what is going on because they just have no idea.  If your anything like me I have read and researched so I know exactly why these things are happeneing. (I just havent found the magic answer yet to fix it - sorry)    Some women haven't even heard of periemnopause.  I'm having another dip of this horrible anxiety again after having 6 okay months and it just stop you in your tracks.  Luckily its school holidays and i can find peace at home.  I just pray its lifted by the time I have to go back to teaching (tutoring and relief work)  There is no way I could hold down a premanent job.   You are doing a wonderful job finishing your nursing with the surprise visits from anxiety.  When it hits me I just find it so hard to be social, get active or go anywhere.  When it lifts I'm as free as a butterfly and life is so much normal again.  I often ask myself "What have I done to get my body so out of balance or was I going to be one of the unlucky ones anyway"  I suppose there will never be an answer!!!!!! 

I agree we have got this.

I'm not going to let it win!!!!

xxxxx

• Posted

Oh WOW I know how you feel!!  I sprained my back 3 days ago and the only comfort I get is flat on my back or in the bath.  I've had it before so I know it will take about 2 weeks to go over.  Just what I needed with this other .sh.....  hanging around. 

It sure is a journey being a woman with all these ups amd downs.  Would you say your anxiety has eased post menopause.  This is the thing that literally knocks the life out of me.  If I could stop the dips of anxiety my  life would be so much easier.  When something is coming up I just pray that I will be well for it.  There  have been many a times where I've had to miss out. (upsets me immensely)

I hope your energy levels pick up and those sweats improve for you.

A spanish summer sounds beautiful.

Take care and big hugs  xxxx

• Posted

Thanks Raelene! You will win it!! We all will...I too have had "paralyizing" days where I am too afraid to even drive down the street to a store its' crazy. I purchased an app that I have on my phone and it got me through a lot. That is where I got the "rediriecting" on saying the say thing to myself when i feel anxious. 

It is so helpful to have this site for sure - I always feel so much better knowing that I am normal! Good luck with teaching and tutoring that is a beautiful thing!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product names as we do not allow repeated posting of product names in the forums. If users wish to exchange details please use the Private Message service .

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Go look up Magnesium levels that are low can give you these affects ,I've just looked and good read .Ive began magnesium .
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa.

Keep up those words of encouragement to yourself and inner peace will come.

xxxx

• Posted

Yes lisa my anxiety level is terrible. And there are many mornings I will gave it before my feet hit the floor. I can't stand it!!
    • Posted

Thanks Donna...grrrr it just stinks and I try to remind myself that when its' happening it is normal because I will have a good amount of time where I don't have these issues and when it comes up and blindsides me and I am like ..ahhhh! 
    • Posted

Hi Donna ,I'm the same every morning ,doesent go down till mid afternoon ,but then I do wake up with this tinnitus noise going ,and the below going ,so think that's part of my stress pattern .

So many of us get it ,some it goes after a while but it's not good to having this daily ,I'm sure it keeps ones blood pressure elevated .

You can try all things  some work ,then some don't .Its a daily battle I agree .

Every day new females are joining this site ,hoping for answers .

What if anything your trying to do for your anxiety ? They say lack of magnesium ,leading up to meno and in post meno is an issue .Im taking Magnesium now ,plus a multi Vit .Many a female walking around like us so not alone ,try Bach Rescue spray couple sprays on your tongue ,give that a try ,get that in supermarkets .Have you got anxiety now ? Mine feels what I call Gyne anxiety ,always have done .

• Posted

Hi Marlene...my anxiety is actually much better I have used some really good  methods to get through it - I guess for me is I just hate when they blindside you - I can have months of being totally fine then ..WHACK! it comes out of nowhere and it seems to be when I am supposed to have a period or some form of stress will trigger it I guess. I will look into that Bach Rescue spray too! 

Thanks for your support!!

• Posted

Getting thyroid test ,had it done few years back ,now having a re- test .ive been told countless times by family to get another done ,my eldest sister and 2 cousins have thyroid trouble .Never off this bloody merry- go - round .

Try that Bach rescue ,not expensive  keep it handy ,one in your handbag as well .Stress is a crippler for sure ,brings your immune system down .

Hope you get yours gone miserable having it going on ,and on .

• Posted

Hey marlene thanks for your reply. For my anxiety I mainly just talked myself outta it. I am taking B6 to see if it helps. My anxiety has been really bad lately. sad
    • Posted

Hi Donna

my anxieties have been bad lately too. We just need to learn to do relaxation when our anxieties hit. We need coping skills and deep breathing and we need time to ourselves to recoperate and feel better. I have had anxieties and panic attacks for a long time and yes it is unbearable at times when you are feeling weak anxious, tired, and just not yourself. I take ativan for my anxieties. 

• Posted

Hi Donna. I think everyone is out of whack ,goodness knows it can't be all menopause ,few in late 20s early 30s feeling this way ,they can't be meno in my view .So is it down to an imbalance in whatever is doing it .like ones never ever sufferered depression having this ,and ones having both going on .got to wonder it sure does me ,fair few saying how there balance isent what it once was .its a weird situation people are finding themselves in that's for sure .No answers ,got to think outside the box sometimes,can't put everything down to meno,one lady in this weeks Daily Mail UK told meno ,turns out it was an adrenal gland causing the problem ,she says Drs aren't aware .If you can get this paper up ,go have a read .maybe that's another avenue to this anxiety trouble ,that never ceases .Thyroid is another condition that gives off these symptoms .Go check that out .Ive had anxiety since I've had low immune ,following on from a 4 month illness .( virus) .I don't take B6 ,doesn't agree with me .xxx
    • Posted

Hi Marlene 

theres something to be said about Adrenal Fatigue especially Post Menopause ..

Adrenal Function in PMS and Menopause

Adrenal hormones are important to healthy menstruation, and stress is known to affect the menstrual cycle.

The adrenal glands are the only source of testosterone in women, and after menopause are the only source of the female hormones, estrogen and progesterone.

These and other adrenal hormones play a major role in menstruation, sexual function, physical and psychological well-being, and the aging process, among other things.

When these hormones are low, a number of unpleasant physical and psychological symptoms can occur.* It has been observed clinically that many women experiencing adrenal fatigue also experience PMS and tend to have difficulty during perimenopause and menopause.*

When women enter perimenopause and menopause, the ovaries slow their production of estrogen and progesterone, and the adrenal glands have to pick up the slack for menopause to proceed smoothly. If the adrenals are already fatigued, it may be more difficult to meet this extra demand for hormone production.

* In fact, the adrenals may become even more depleted as a result, creating a vicious cycle.

* Pronounced morning fatigue may be a tip-off that low adrenal function is a factor in PMS or menopausal discomfort.

* A saliva cortisol/DHEAS test that measures adrenal hormones at four different times in the day can help determine whether adrenal function is a contributing factor.

* Support for healthy adrenal function can often provide help in this situation.*

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay

I'm going to my OBGYN tomorrow I'm going to have him check my adrenal hormones because with having hypothyroidism and not having a period I feel myself that I'm off balance with having anxieties, being restless at night to where it is hard to fall asleep. Then being tired durring the day and feeling burned out when I'm under stress. Thank you for that tip that you wrote to Marlene

• Posted

Jay another good read ,I've never understood why I've had anxiety for so long ,like we all think it's meno due to our age,but I've always had that question mark over my head ,can it be something else that's the cause ,I've been asked by my cousin early on is it a thyroid prob ,but dr checked early on,but you don't get to my age and not question these symptoms that on going with women on these meno sites ,as I said to Donna about the lady being told meno ,maybe from what you've put up ,that can be the problem and not all down to meno in some cases ,Drs need to look into other possibilities if symptoms continue .If ones not anxious by nature ( some are)but if not there's got to be another cause .Im laid back to some degree ,no worries ,but this stays with me .So in turn it causes stress ,what anxiety does .Roundabout that fails to stop ,is that what causes women out there having balance probs and palpatations ,and that's crossing all meno ages ? will look up Adrenal support ,maybe ladies on this site would do well to do likewise. Won't hurt any in my view .we all get fobbed off Its meno ,while all the time it's not as the Daily Mail lady .Good research again on your part Jay xxx Have good read ladies .
    • Posted

Jays the best at searching stuff out ,don't know how she does it just got the knack and know how ,have we ever wondered how many females get IBS type symptoms ,but not what I call proper IBS ,and the Gyne anxiety as I've always called it ? Now this I had at the start of Meno  but it stopped ,then that virus came along and Gyne meno anxiety. Began again for a second time around. Only this time it's chose to hang around .

I've asked dr is this how meno hormones give up ,as it began ,no Drs ever been able to give me an answer  but if I've got it other females I guess would have these symptoms also .its a strange situation were all having these types similar in issues ,got to ask Why ? As all these off the shelf and meds don't work again Why not ? Keep an open mind I do I don't disregard anything what's placed up as a possible cause .Maybe the answer end of day .Never know may stop my tinnitus ,I wish .

• Posted

Hi

if you request an adrenal hormone  blood test, you will have to fast ..

Jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.