Anxiety wont subside (too much adrenaline in stomach)

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hello all, i've just signed up to the site as i'm currently enduring a prolonged state of anxiety and i'm feeling terrible like i'm about to break down. I'm hoping someone can help me understand whats going on.

I'm getting a huge surge of adrenaline rising from my stomach to my solar plexis area. It is unbearable and has resulted in me collapsing in an anxiety attack twice this last week. It feels hot when it happens. Usually my anxiety subsides after a few days but I must subconsciously be keeping it around by worrying. This is my best description of it, but I could be wrong. I don't have a fact sheet confirming it is adrenaline.

Has anyone sufferred similar feelings. How did you get it to subside?

Thanks for any help

Neil

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What dose of pregabalin did you start on?
  • Posted

Hi Neil

After 4 years of tragic, and other worrying events within my family and immediate circle, I found I was suffering "adrenalin surges" at the slightest thing....for instance: a car stopping outside my house, an unexpected knock on the door, opening e-mails, the postman delivering letters, the phone ringing.

Then other anxiety symptoms set in....burning skin, pins and needles, hot surges in the night. I was already on Fluoxetine medication, but have upped the dose. I am mentally trying to override these fears, but it is not easy. The symptoms have eased a bit....and I am hoping that by trying to train my brain to unwind, then they will ease more.

Reading the posts on these sites have helped, as it seems so many people suffer from anxiety long term.

At least it is becoming more recognised now,

Try to understand the cause of your anxiety, and if you can identify any specific thing(s) that is half the battle, as you can then work (possibly with help) through it.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Hello.  I have adrenaline surges like you.  Are you better now?
  • Posted

Hi Celt,

Didn't I answer the dosage thing yesterday?

No problem.

75mgx2 for one week, then 150mgx2 for a year.

Hope that's useful for you.

Best wishes

Alex

• Posted

Hi Neil

That is exactly how I started with my Anxiety problems. I still have these attacks occasionally and i know how unpleaseant it is. I usually can tell when this is going to happen as I get a very strong burning in my legs which is the start of the adrenalin rush for fight or flight. If I'm at work I find that if I get up and leave the building and go for a walk and get a way from people and my current surroundings the feeling starts to subside. Its basically burning off the adenaline rush. Most of the time I have to just ride it out and try and remember that i'm not going to come a cropper or receive any physical harm. its not easy pal but getting up and moving about may help. Just try and distance your self from it. it helps to take your mind off it. Try and zone it out.

I'm lucky - I have understanding people around me at work that know to just leave me to it and I can come round on my own. things will get easier. it takes time and you learn how to deal with it more.

Be strong pal

Simon

• Posted

Hi Neil1981

No idea how long it's been since this post but.......SNAP! I am a mirror image of you.

This is horrendous, hope you are managing ongoing, because I'm exausted. No end in sight at this stage, I probably need to sit around with similar blokes, and say out loud what I think might be bothering me and hear them let it out too, so we can gain strength from each others experience knowing we're not alone. PS If you find a cure, let me know will you? wink

• Posted

I think my problem is actually worse than yours Neil. At night I get hardly any sleep, this is every single night of my life. Very soon after getting up I can feel the adrenaline deep in the solar plexus. It starts to constrict my gut. This can vary from mild constriction (which is bearable) to intense constriction (which is unbearable). I am having to live each and every single day with an adrenal system which has gone completely out of control. During the evening I try to watch TV but it's so hard to concentrate because of the adrenaline. At times I have been driven totally out of my head in a real psychiatric sense because there's nowhere I can go to escape the torture.

I am on masses of medication for anxiety and I've been on benzodiazepines for years. Nothing, it seems, can relieve me of these dreadful symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Paul

I'm going through something very similar to yours. I get woken up early in the morning by what feels like an overdose of stimulants are literally  poured into my body. Even though I just want to go back to sleep, I'm too uncomfortable to be able too. I spend my morning pacing trying to unknot my stomach which doesn't work. In the afternoon I take an Ativan to take the edge off but I still feel bad. Like you I can't watch tv or read or do anything because I can't get comfortable. This started up after a mild bout with the flu earlier this year that turned into a sinus infection. Now the virus is gone and the sinus thing seems to have subsided. My blood test shows that I'm infection free but I continue to feel horrible with these extreme anxiety symptoms without anxiety doing it. Like you said it is torture. Have you found anything for relief since you've posted this. I could use some ideas.

• Posted

No Dale I sadly have not found any permanent solution. My wife got me a digital tens pain reliever with pads and batteries which I often attach to my gut area when it's really excruciating. This delivers pulsing vibrations in various patterns depending on what program you set it on. Amazingly this does help a bit by providing distraction to the gut area. It's nowhere near a permanent solution but it does bring some temporary relief.

• Posted

Thanks for replying back Paul. I happen to have a tens unit. I will try it. This has been unbearable and I can't imagine how you have had to go through this for years.  It's awful. I'm sorry you haven't been able to find the cause. 

• Posted

Hi Paul, my husband has had this for 10 yrs but in the last year it's become debilitating. Have you found releif yet? I strongly believe it is physical. It's not anxiety, though I think anxiety can be a side effect of it. He's had scopes, mri's, ultrasounds and no reason has been found. He's going for a pill cam next week and we're just praying it finds something. Anything. Anything at this point would be better than the nothing that keeps being found. The only thing that offers some release for him is cannabis. It releases the knot feeling enough for him to function somewhat. He also is seeing an endocrinologist for hypothyroidism and I'm going to beg her next time to look into his adrenals. There is going to be an answer somewhere! Don't give up. If we figure it out I will post it in here to give others a chance at releif.

• Posted

Hi Neil please try PROPRANOLOL

20mg will significantly reduce the adrenalin surges. I have dealt with this condition for nearly all my life, finally diagnosed as panic disorder. Now o am anxiety free thanks to this medication.

• Posted

Yes, I have. I'm going through something very similar right now. I wake up in the morning and it feels like someone is literally pouring an overdose of stimulants in my body. My stomach knots up and stays that way all day until nighttime where I finally get some relief. It is literally torture. This had been going on now for about three months. When my stomach finally unknots then I feel weak and shaky. I take Ativan in the afternoon to try and relax my stomach and it helps some but I don't get total relief until the evening and then I get very tired. I'm feeling really helpless and scared. I've had this before but not in a very long time. It always seems to happen after I've had something like a sinus infection. 

• Posted

I have this problem right now. I haven't been able to get it to stop- but just know you aren't alone. Any chance you have a minor stomach problem causing gas to make it worse? Or acid problems?

I have severe acid problems with my GERD and it makes me feel even more anxious when it causes hot pressure to rise up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.