Any advice following laparoscopic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy please?

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am currently at home recovering from a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy which I had exactly a week ago today. The surgery was advised following the discovery of a dermoid cyst on my right ovary which appeared to be growing rapidly. The operation took considerably longer than expected as having had two previous c-sections I had a lot of adhesions; my surgeon said that my uterus was fused to the stomach wall and other areas needed freeing up before the surgery could commence. I have four incisions and unfortunately developed quite a severe reaction to the dressings which resulted in lots of very red, sore and itchy blisters. This has settled now but the incisions are still very tender and my abdomen is very bruised and swollen. The incisions are presently covered with waterproof dressings (these ones seem fine!) and steri-strips on top of the dissolvable stitches. Does anyone know when I should attempt to remove the dressings and steri-strips please? I think I was told ten days but I am really not sure and don't like to bother the ward staff. I am really nervous about removing them as the wounds seem to have bled quite a lot and I am scared of pulling the incisions open. Since my surgery I have had a troublesome cough and now my chest feels very tight and I have pain in my upper back; is this anything to worry about? I don't want to bother my GP needlessly if this is normal following a general anaesthetic. My consultant wants to see me next week and again at six weeks to check that everything is healing. I am 53 and post-menopausal so at least I have none of the horrible symptoms usually related to having the ovaries removed. I really didn't expect to be in quite so much pain a week after surgery as I ensured that I was physically fit beforehand and I only weigh just over 8 stone. I am guessing that I have a fair few internal stitches that are going to take a while to heal and I am probably just being impatient. I have read so many conflicting reports about when a return to full-time work is advisable and would appreciate any comments regarding this too.

Many thanks for any advice or tips!

5 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had both ovaries and tube removed Friday. It's now Sunday. I'm so sore. I had the key hole type done but I look like a paint by numbers. My stomach is so sore and bruised. My shoulders, neck and chest and back ache. I feel like in the or they used me as a pinata. I can't sleep. I cant get comfortable no matter what I do. Any advice would b great. As far as menopause I haven't noticed any difference yet
    • Posted

Are you keeping up with your paracetamol and ibuprofen?  You need to keep this going for a week or maybe two at least.  It will help.  The pain in your shoulders, neck and chest is most probable the gas that they pump you up with when they do the op.  It takes a while for this to start being expelled.  You could try something like Windeze for this, as it does help get rid of the wind.  I also took arnica for the bruising.  This helps to bring the bruising out quickly. I also put pillows either side of me in bed and one under the back of my knees for support.

By the way, I am now 23 days post op, having had a total hysterectomy via keyhole. 

Kathy xx

• Posted

They have me taking oxycodone and ibuprofen alternating between them every three hrs. It helps for a few but then it hurts really bad after a few. Can I get the things u talk about over the counter. I will try the pillows. Thanks for the advice
    • Posted

Hi Amber

Yes, you can by Windeze over the counter, or there are alternatives.  Peppermint tea also helps.  I think you'll find this is where most of your pain is coming from.

xx Kathy

• Posted

Thank u for the advice. Today is day 3 since surgery. I haven't noticed any hormone changes yet. That is worrying me the most. I wonder what it will b like. I did the pillow thing u talked about last night. It helped alot. I was able to get a little sleep last night. Today is the first day I'm on my own. My kids r all at school and my husband is back at work. I have no energy and it hurts to move so I think I'll take naps today and rest.
    • Posted

Hi amber - I had a laparotic (cut from button to above pubic hair) last Tuesday so this is day 6 for me.You are doing well to manage with kids and husband back at work. I had awful wind days 1-5 and pain when I tried to get out of bed or chair-I couldn't without help-I've been taking paracetomol ,can't take iboprofen as I give myself a daily injection in the belly to stop blood clotting and can't take brufen as well. The wind I found peppermint capsules 1 a day from Boots helped, but after 6 days of constipation had 3 poos yesterday and finding most of pain has gone.Rest all you can-let other people do things for you-I did too much day 3 and was exhausted-not worth it. You need to get yourself back to full health and make yourself no 1. I have 24 staples down my belly but they haven't hurt at all-I just shower and dress them each day although a nurse has called a couple of times. The staples come out on Friday or I can have alternate ones out one day then the rest another. I've been told it doesn't hurt.Your priority is you and I can't advise you about hormones as I am 74 therefore post-menopausal Hope your pain goes soon x
    • Posted

Thank u. It's helpful to talk to others that went through this. I feel like my belly is so swollen and I feel like I will pop any minute. It's very hard to get up. My husband has been helping me get up but I'm on my own today. My upper body is so sore too. It must have been the air they put in there. I haven't went poop yet and I'm worried about that. I feel like I need to but can't. I'm only 34 so menopause worries me. I have read so many things on hormone replacement therapy but not sure if that is for me or not. I go for checkup this Thursday
    • Posted

My GP said to use Dulcolax until runny then change to Dulcoease, both are available over the counter. Your GP may recommend something else or ask the pharmacist, if you can wait till the check-up ask them

Because of your age HRT is highly recommended but see what's said at your check-up

• Posted

Ok thanks k u. Ya I've been researching and am torn on what to do. I'll discuss it Thursday wth dr. I'll try the dollar thanks for the help
    • Posted

Today has been pretty miserable. I still haven't pooped but need to really bad. It's making my stomach hurt so much. I tried mimosas but it hasn't helped. My incisions itch so bad. I've tried lots of creams lotions but nothing helps. Still haven't noticed any menopause symptoms yet. I go to dr on Thursday so discuss hormone options.
    • Posted

Hi amber - so sorry you are still in pain. It is definitely the constipation- even tho I've had 7 poos since Sunday and all the pain has gone and I can get in and out of bed and chair much easier,the district nurse said keep taking 2 senokot a day for a week. Your bowel has been thro trauma as well but once it's working again you'll fel so much better.All I've used on my 24 staples is cotton wool and warm water- don't know about putting creams on. Have you got the phone number of your district nurse,if not phone doctors but please get yourself some help. You poor girl I feel for you. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Amber-just checking to see if you saw doctor and if you've been to loo yet. I got my 24 staples out today-wound is si neat and District nurse has discharged me. Hope you're feeling better x

• Posted

Thanks for checking on me. Yes went to dr yesterday. He said it looks good no infection. He started me on calcium and vitamin d. He also started me on low dose of estradiol and progestin. I've been pretty moody. Hopefully that will help. He won't let me go back to work yet. I'm bored with being at home. Wish I had more energy but I have known. Constipation is gone finally. That was horrible. Still taking pain meds but not as much. Glad u r healing
    • Posted

Hi Amber, So glad constipation has gone. Also glad there's no infection and your energy will return  I have had 24 staples removed today- no pain and have been discharged . I've reduced my paracetamol to 4 a day. Just waiting for biopsy resultsin 2 weeks  then hopefully this will be over. x
  • Posted

I just had oophorectomy a week ago.  I am 57, post menopausal by about 10 years, but still get several hot flushes a day.  I have found sage tea, just sage from the supermarket, three cups a day helpful also high doses of vitamin C.  I am on vitamin D from my doc anyway.  I was told i'd be in and out of hospital same day and was totally unprepared for how poorly I've been feeling.  I had a dermoid cyst, which had grown since diagnosis two months ago, not huge though about 4 cm from 2 cm.  I had both ovaries and both fallopian tubes removed.  The worst for me was that I was coughing up blood.  my throat has been so painful, i had blood coming out of my nose too for about 5 days.   GP was rude and said I should be out and about within 2 weeks.  I wont post online what I would like to say to him about that.  The bleeding I was told was rare and happens when they take the breathing tube out.  I was also told they had trouble bringing me round.  I feel like rubbish and can't walk more than 200 years without feeling like I need a drink of water and a lie down.  I think all of you guys are fab and have found just reading through all your ordeals very supportive.  Thank you and I hope you're all feeling completely well again soon.  The physio and the nursing sister were the best, but you can keep doctors, most of them are rubbish.
    • Posted

Hi Titabeth-lots of doctors think they are demi-Gods! I was lucky with mine. Had a full laparostic hysterectomy 10 days ago and had the 24 staples taken out today and all I have to wait for is to see if the 2 cysts ,pelvic mass and omentum were benign(fingers crossed). I'm also post-menopausal and prior to operation felt fit and well-no symptoms-which is scary as they are treating it as POSSIBLE ovarian cancer cos of my age,tho bloods were normal-27(normal is 35) and the CT scan showed no spread to the rest of the body. Ignore the doctors and rest as much as you need to. It is a slow progress. I'm fit and healthy for a 74 year old but after trying too hard on days 3 and 7 I am now quite happy to be patient and rest when needed.Sorry about your throat. It sounds so painful. Take care of you xx
    • Posted

His Sylvia, thanks for your reply, you must have had your op the day before I had mine!  We're nearly twins!  I do hope all your results come back negative.  they took both my ovaries and my fallopian tubes along with the dermoid cyst because I had bad cells on my cervix several years ago. I  read the advice from chelsea and westminster from the link at the beginning of this discussion thread, i printed it off and am doing the exercises.  My throat is much better now just still sore on one side.  I have to take the painkillers though, or I'd just stay in bed.  The advice about not lifting anything heavier than a 1 litre bottle of water, for 6 weeks is good and I'll be sticking to that.  Hope you stick to not trying too hard and that you get plenty of rest and help. X
    • Posted

Hi twinnie- I'm feeling great-have lots of energy but this could be from the vitamin drinks and 3 pints of carbs I had to drink in 8 hours before op!

I have very little pain since bowels worked again,belly is loose but they probs had to cut thro muscles so have bought nice lacy support knicks from M&S. I have had 2 trips out in last 12 days-walked round a local market yesterday as weather was so warm. In between I am sensible and rest a lot and don't even lift a full kettle as I can feel it.Been doing physio exercises-deep breathing,pelvic floor,walking round the house but giving myself all the time I need to be fit for my hols in May.Sorry to hear about your throat.It sounds painful. I stayed in bed this morning for a couple more hours then showered and washed hair- a little routine is good and even cooked lunch,but hubby is always close by. Take care and will let you know results when I get them x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.