Any advice following laparoscopic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy please?

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am currently at home recovering from a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy which I had exactly a week ago today. The surgery was advised following the discovery of a dermoid cyst on my right ovary which appeared to be growing rapidly. The operation took considerably longer than expected as having had two previous c-sections I had a lot of adhesions; my surgeon said that my uterus was fused to the stomach wall and other areas needed freeing up before the surgery could commence. I have four incisions and unfortunately developed quite a severe reaction to the dressings which resulted in lots of very red, sore and itchy blisters. This has settled now but the incisions are still very tender and my abdomen is very bruised and swollen. The incisions are presently covered with waterproof dressings (these ones seem fine!) and steri-strips on top of the dissolvable stitches. Does anyone know when I should attempt to remove the dressings and steri-strips please? I think I was told ten days but I am really not sure and don't like to bother the ward staff. I am really nervous about removing them as the wounds seem to have bled quite a lot and I am scared of pulling the incisions open. Since my surgery I have had a troublesome cough and now my chest feels very tight and I have pain in my upper back; is this anything to worry about? I don't want to bother my GP needlessly if this is normal following a general anaesthetic. My consultant wants to see me next week and again at six weeks to check that everything is healing. I am 53 and post-menopausal so at least I have none of the horrible symptoms usually related to having the ovaries removed. I really didn't expect to be in quite so much pain a week after surgery as I ensured that I was physically fit beforehand and I only weigh just over 8 stone. I am guessing that I have a fair few internal stitches that are going to take a while to heal and I am probably just being impatient. I have read so many conflicting reports about when a return to full-time work is advisable and would appreciate any comments regarding this too.

Many thanks for any advice or tips!

5 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all. I hope you are all feeling better. I had my bso today. So 4.5cm dermoid was discovered on my right ovary in December on a pelvic us. Had an mri and ca125 test...just a dermoid...but since I am menopausal (8 months into it) and I am 52 it had to come out.

I thought I was feeling remarkably well...I slept for 3 hours and even had dinner with my family and have been walking throughout the house.

However I noticed when the painkillers wear off I am in a bit of pain.

I am in the usa. It was done with 3 keyholes.

most of the pain is in the right side. Waiting for pathology, doCT or thinks it is fine by the looks of it.

my question for you.how long did it take you to feel well enough to travel? I live in tanzania half the year. I founded a scool for poor children...they are all waiting for my return. I had to cancel one flight already, but I want to go asap...I Will be there 3 months. Any suggestions?

I am thinking the warm weather will do megood

• Posted

Depends on the person but I traveled after 3weeks, estimates range from 1-6weeks
    • Posted

Hi Christine- I'm 74  I had a laparotic hysterectomy 2 weeks ago with 24 staples down my abdomen. The staples came out last Friday(day 10) . I inject myself in stomach with an anti clotting injection for 28 days( I had no previous problems it's just routine) and was told to wear anti DVT socks for 6 weeks- tho mainly in bed after 4 weeks. I would guess your flight is quite long so would ask for advice before travelling.I feel good,but I do rest as I also had my omentum out (google it ) to cut down on risk of cancer in the future- the cancer cells like the omentum to 'nest' in.

Path lab reported yesterday that everything was benign, yeay!!

I was told that if it had been a laparoscopy I should be Ok within a week?

Listen to your body and yes the sun would be nice Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Sylvia, glad your results are all benign, good news!  

I agree with you about listening to your body, it reminds of when docs wouldn't listen when I knew my baby was sick, she's not a baby any more, but I have felt not listened to by docs.  My GP said I should be zooming around after 10 days to two weeks.  But other people I know who've had similar or hysterctomies said it takes the full 6 weeks.

To cheer myself up yesterday I looked at hotels in Western Australia!  It was bliss looking at all that sunshine and beautiful beaches!cool

• Posted

It has been 11 days since my procedure. The pain is a lot better but still annoying. I have a lump on my right side where my ovary was that hurts. Is that normal? I have tried to get up and do stuff around the house but run out of energy so quick. I just want to heal and have energy back. I am on proverb 2.5mg and estradiol 1mg. Also they have me taking calcium and vitamin d. I have had hot flashes and mood swings but they r getting better.
    • Posted

Hi Amber, I've had a bit of a lump and more pain on the left hand side, but it's improved in the last few days.  For me I think the pain and lumpiness was due to swelling, which seems to be going down.  I finished the diclofenac today (13 days post op) and am down to about 4 paracetomol per day.  I've been running out of energy really quick too, but other people I know who've had similar or hysterectomies say it takes about 2 weeks to recover from the anaesthetic.  today I walked to the shops, which is up hill and normally a ten minute walk.  I really took my time, took a drink of water with me and had to stop and rest and breathe deeply twice.  I have spent the rest of day dozing off!  so maybe that was a bit too ambitious!  If you're worried about the lump and the fact that it hurts, I think you should see your GP.  Hope you feel better soon, and take it easy, i know it's hard it gets a bit boring as well if you're used to being quite active.  We'll get there though.lol
  • Posted

Can anyone advise.  I had a laparoscopy and bilateral salpingectomy and left partial oopherectomy and pelvic washout 5 days ago  I have passed stools although with difficulty and after a lengthy period of time this morning I noticed one stool had a small amount of bright red blood in it.  Is this normal? Should I take a laxative?
  • Posted

Hi there...greetings from Canada. I am 53 and was just told by a laproscopic surgeon/gynecologist/obstetrician yesterday that because I am menopausal and the fact that I have two cysts on my right ovary (one simple and one "more complex"), laprascopic surgical removal of both ovaries is strongly recommended. In fact, I am already scheduled for the procedure in October of this year. I have 5 months, therefore, to learn all about this, and more, and figure out whether this really is the best solution for me. I am having my doubts already about having both ovaries removed, where only one is affected, as I have read that the ovaries secret hormones throughout one's entire life, and the androgens secreted are just as important as the estrogens (which drop off after menopause). I would welcome any comments from other menopausal women who have had this dilemma. If it is more appopriate for me to start this topic in a new discussion, please let me know! Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you :o).
    • Posted

Hello from Australia! I'm 56 and post menopausal.  I am one of the lucky ones, never having any symptons of menopause - in fact I had to have multiple blood tests to confirm it.  

After finding I was post menopausal I had a small bleed, which led to investigations which discovered a small cyst on my right ovary.  I was given the option of waiting to 'see what happens' or have the op.  

So I had a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy 3 days ago.  I was in hospital overnight returning home the next day.  To be honest I feel pretty good. I get achy and tired but life is returning to normal. I have 2 weeks off work to recover and will return to the Doctor at 6 weeks for a follow up. My Gyni was not concerned about taking both ovaries (there wasnt a problem with them) but saw it was a safety measure to ensure that things dont go wrong in the future - something I was worried about.

I was happy to agree. In terms of the hormones/androgens I understand there are alternatives I can take it needed.    Its all good!

• Posted

Hi again. I don't know why or how that winky face appeared in my previous post. I am definitely not feeling cute right now!
    • Posted

Hi I had bso and large simple cyst removed less than 2 weeks ago. I am 50 and was peri but so far I feel great. I am returning to work next week but only for a a few hours. I get tired and know when I have done too much standing as I am a but achy in the pelvic region but I am not on any pain killers now so think it is pretty amazing. At my age now I couldn't see reason not to have both taken. As long as take it easy, the procedure for me wasn't a problem. Hope hhat helps.
  • Posted

Hi I had bso and large simple cyst removed less than 2 weeks ago. I am 50 and was peri but so far I feel great. I am returning to work next week but only for a a few hours. I get tired and know when I have done too much standing as I am a but achy in the pelvic region but I am not on any pain killers now so think it is pretty amazing. At my age now I couldn't see reason not to have both taken. As long as take it easy, the procedure for me wasn't a problem. Hope hhat helps.
    • Posted

Oops sorry replied to wrong person! Please ignore!
  • Posted

Hi there i have just has both ovaries and tubes removed on tuesday it was done bh keyhole surgery . The pain is teally takjng its tolli came home today and i swear i didnt have this much pain wen i had my uterus and cervix removed. Has anyone else ecperienced this the two larger cuts are so painfuli have been up walking around using wheat pack . How long does it take to settle down i really dont want to use to much tramadol etc
  • Posted

Hello Shaunagh 

I had the same op - although I had not had a C Section before. I was in a lot of pain for a week or so and I had 6 weeks off work.

You should bother your GP I think - or at least make an appointment with the practice nurse to help with dressings. I had an infection and went to A&E to get it checked but maybe at the moment that isn't a good idea!

General anasthaetic can affect you in all sorts of ways but if you are worried don't leave it - go and see someone. 

Hope you feel better soon. 

Just rest and look after yourself. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.