Any advice gratefully received..

Posted , 9 users are following.

After not really getting anywhere after my diagnosis ,I paid to see a pain management consultant,who deals with Fibro,in the hope of getting some options.

She was very good,but basically I have been referred back to my go,with her suggestions.

She has suggested Pregabalin( have I spelt that right!) Trigger point injections,and intravenous infusions. It is up to me and my go as to which,if any we try.

Initially I was so pleased to have someone care and be interested in helping. So on Monday I go to my go.

Thing is unless I go privately( which I don't want to really the two later options would mean a referral to the pain clinic and a very long wait.Trying the tablets makes most sense,but I am really worried about it as I'm very sensitive to drugs,I invariably get bad side effects. She suggested starting me on a child's dose for 5 days and then increasing.

Anyone who has this condition will understand that the one thing I fear is taking anything at all that makes me feel worse than I already do!

All I take now is a codine at night( no good for pain but helps sleep) and ibruprofin,not much use either!

I'm scared of anything making me more tired too.

Anyone take them ? Or any thoughts,I'd be really grateful to help me decide?

Also why do they prescribe anti imflammatories,and people try anti inflammatory diets, if there is no inflammation in fibromyalgia??( just curious on that one!!)

Thank you.x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

25mg of Pregabalin (Lyrica) is just as much use as taking a glass of water. To have any effect on pain control you need 450mg but you have to slowly work up to that dose a day.  I take 600mg and it has taken 50 percent of the pain away.  The side effects at first are extremely sleepiness etc but the side effects do wear off.  I have had fibro for 22 years and tried all the drugs going and Pregabalin (Lyrica) is the only one that works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.