any advice is useful...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi people, sorry I firstly apologise that I haven't been able to keep off this site but you're the only people I feel I can speak to.  I have to ask advice yet again as maybe you've been through counselling for ptsd.  Can anyone advise me what worked for them in the middle of a flashback this has happened to me recently due to being assaulted at 19 and then raped at 25.  What worked for you and how do you come out of them?  They're scary and I can only see the problems exacerbating not easing at the moment as the more counselling I have the worse it's getting!  Please help, I am terrified when they happen!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam

I feel therapy for PTSD 'faddy'. After my mum died of cancer when I was 35 weeks pregnant and she died 3 weeks after diagnosis, after a year of suicidal depression I found NLP. When my dad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer I read 'the power of now, which saved me. However since the suicide of my brother last year I have tried everything and am in psychotherapy but he also does somatic healing. At the moment all I want to do is talk. Tryng to explore family dynamics which before would have put me off. I just feel my brothers suicide has bought up so many emotions which then trigger earlier memories. Ineed the freedom to talk about really honest emotions and thoughts. Ive just come to the conclusion that life is sh*t and if you find something that works, be it talking therapy or anything else, just do it. Sometimes talking brings up bad sh*t so sometimes using art therapies such as sand tray and art therapy can be really useful. Dont think I was that helpful but being retraumatised is not good. Maybe counselling just isn't right or you haven't found a good counsellor. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Jane, it's strange how the word therapy is banded around?  I have found specific counselling for rape but am at the very starts of it.  I am having very physical symptoms which is what made me write on here again asking for help.  I am seeing my doctor next week but since writing this I was given REALLY specific help by the same service who offered me the counselling, so yes I agree sometimes it doesn't help but this counsellor is good I was just really struggling with this particular issue at the time of writing.

• Posted

Hi Sam, have yoiu tried EMDR therapy? Worth a Google if not. I'm not sure about the flashbacks... I imagine there are some visualisation techniques to take you to an alternate safe place instead.. Sorry if not the most helpful answer... Michael

• Posted

Hi Michael, thank yor for the useful information, I will try the EMDR, I was given an alternative, but anything is worth a go!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.