Any advice on how to feel better?x

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am really struggling with my medication.

I am so tried all the time- a tiredness I have never experienced before starting this medication.

My body aches, I am really shaky, and my mood is so up and down all the time :-(

I feel like I'm lacking in so many things- I keep getting ulcers in my mouth so feel run down all the time.

Does anyone feel this way? or been given anything to help these symptoms?

Thanks so much in advance x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I felt awful when I sarted taking levothyroxine 6 months ago, shaky, disorientated and loss of joi de vive overall, then the GP upped the dose from 50mcg to 100mcg and I still did not feel great, then I read other patients reports on how much better they felt taking the pill last thing at night,I feel reborn after doing so, my levels are perfect, I feel more refreshed than I did taking them in the mornings. I have lost weight thank goodness so maybe this may work for you. My doc said as long as I take them it doesnt matter what time as long as it is consistant.Get regular blood checks to see if your levels are correct on the doseage. Good Luck.
    • Posted

Thank you for your advice- I will defiantly discuss this with my doctor. 

Glad to hear you are feeling better x

• Posted

Hi I also suffer with bad ulcers due to my thyroid condition.  i purchased ulcerclear machine from Lloyds Pharmacy (£4.99) use morning and night imediately when u feel the ulcer starting and it will start to heal it before it gets painful. oreen I have also heard others say that taking their medication on a night also works well.  Im going to try this myself trouble is it must be on an empty stomache and im not sure how many hours after a meal this would be 
    • Posted

Thank you for your message I will get one of them thank you.

Yeah I wondered how long I would have to wait as I don't eat until 8pm due to work so don't think that would leave enough time before bed to have an empty stomach x

• Posted

I dont go to bed till around 11.30pm so it is fine for me as I have my dinner around 6pm sometimes I do have a nibble but it is at least an hour before I take the tablet. Hope that helps you.
  • Posted

Machine works at its best twice a day only no more as it does not help the healing.  Ive tried everything and this is the only thing that has worked.  Maybe Doreen might let us know the best amount of hours to leave before taking LEV.    
  • Posted

Doreens advice is very interesting - and I should have thought of this myself!! as I am on so many other meds that vary in their effects according to what time of day I take them!! EG, my lithium is sposed to be at night but I get terrible heartburn that keeps me awake if I do that, so I spread them out thru the day instead... Also with my lansoprazole, i have to take that half an hour before eating first thing in the morning or it wont work. 

Or maybe its just drugs that begin with 'L' that it applies to!idea (yes, joke, not magical thinking!)

I shall try taking my Lev at nighttime and will be interested to hear if J and anyone else does too, shall we all try to remember to report back in a month and see if theres any improvement? Tho I recognise getting hypo thyroid patients to remember something is a big ask!!! (I keep misremembering my passwords for everything so I may not even be able to get back on here even If I do remember!!!)

• Posted

Hey,

Yeah I agree too.. would be interesting to find out if works for us all aswel. 

It's so nice knowing others understand what you are going though.

I have got so forgetful it's crazy.. I go to get some 3 times before I remember what it was lol! what a nightmare these meds are.. 

I am seeing my consultant on the 14th of June so will chat to him about all this!

Thanks x

• Posted

Yes I am def going to try that esp as its such a simple thing to try.

I also got a great reply from a lovely lady called Maggie (username mvwaugh) recommending a book by a Dr Toft called Understanding Thyroid Disorders he is an eminent endocrinologist who sorted out Maggies probs - so I am going to read that book and talk to my Doc again.

Good luck on 14 June - if you dont forget the appt!! (i have done this so many times its embarrassing.)

• Posted

Please get your vitamin d levels tested ! Very common to be deficent with hypo!!
    • Posted

Good point - especially if you work long hours and get little sunlight. In the Uk its hard to get enough sunlight in any case. I have a whole discussion on this very subject in the depression group!!! and I am now taking a high dose supplement - been about a month so hopefully will see benefits soon.
    • Posted

I only take 25mcg daily now although i did start higher. ive read so many opinions on the dosage so thought RDA i better stick with.  What is your dosage Christine and did doctor prescribe that for you.
    • Posted

re Vit D - deffo take a look at the Vit D Council site!!! - the RDA is woefully low and really only applies to people getting plenty of sunlight. for somebody long term deficient they recommend 2000iug a day  - for someone severely deficient up to 5000iug pd or a one off mega dose by injection. then a maintenance dose.

i bought 5000iug pills myself after doing a lot of reading and research - talked to GP who said it was OK til test results come through then he will prescribe. He agrees there is so much ignorance amongst GPs and the side effects are more serious tham just bone related stuff!

IF you meant Levothyroxine im on 50 pd prescribed by my GP but battling for a raise!! x

• Posted

Thanks Doreen i will start tomorrow night with Lev and will let everyone know how its going. My Gp doesnt feel the need to measure my vit D so i just bought some anyways so i do take them.  Wouldnt you think that medical professionals would read these forums and think there was something up when there are so many people with unresolved thyroid problems instead of fobbing us off, well fobbing me off for the last few years.
    • Posted

I found a brilliant website - the Vitamin D Council - its American but advice still applies - its full of scientific data and research on vit D and its effects are much more widespread than currently supposed. in fact its a scandal waiting to happen 
    • Posted

Just been looking at this site and your right it probably is a scandal waiting to happen a good read thanks for this Christine
    • Posted

No worries us medical guerillas have to spread the word if doctors wont do it!!!
    • Posted

PS I should have mentioned, after my reading I decided to take Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 5000iu because apparently D3 is the easiest absorbable form of vit D.

I am also very careful never to take more than one per day. The overdose level isnt til 10000iu per day, or over 50000 in a single dose, but i dont want to take chances. 

I found some really well priced choices on amazon and you can even get a sublingual spray format if you hate swallowing pills! 

I should give it a try whilst waiting for doctor to take it seriously cos you could be waiting awhile... sadly. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.