Any advice on how to feel better?x

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I am really struggling with my medication.

I am so tried all the time- a tiredness I have never experienced before starting this medication.

My body aches, I am really shaky, and my mood is so up and down all the time :-(

I feel like I'm lacking in so many things- I keep getting ulcers in my mouth so feel run down all the time.

Does anyone feel this way? or been given anything to help these symptoms?

Thanks so much in advance x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My vitamin d level was <7.5 !!! seriously low! i had to find out myself  i knew something wasn't right and yes docs were ignoring it! i git private bloods done...  l also had low calcium, under treated thyroid meds and inflammation! dusgusting!  !!!="" seriously="" low!="" i="" had="" to="" find="" out="" myself=""  i="" knew="" something="" wasn't="" right="" and="" yes="" docs="" were="" ignoring="" it!="" i="" git="" private="" bloods="" done...=""  l="" also="" had="" low="" calcium,="" under="" treated="" thyroid="" meds="" and="" inflammation!="">
    • Posted

Absolutely - the more I read about Vitamin D, the more angry I get, especially for people like myself who have severe depression. If you are severely depressed - or have any other kind of debilitating illness that causes you to be housebound for months on end - it should occur to Doctors as a matter of course that your Vitamin D levels will be low. 

I have bipolar 1 - which causes alternating episodes of mania (which last up to 6 months) then a crash/maybe some normal time followed by a depressive episode(lasting up to 2 years or more). During my depressions I am bedbound - I dont leave the house, dont see anyone, cant answer the phone or open letters. If i do have to go out, I want to hide, so I wear long baggy clothes, coats, scarves, sunglasses, hats, hoods .... So I get NO sunlight AT ALL for two years at a time....

Its basicallly a failure of imagination or empathy - the doctors see the words 'bipolar depression' - or arthritis, or agoraphobia, or whatever it may be - but dont see the daily realities of that: it doesnt occur to them that it means the patient wont be getting any sunlight. But it should!!! 

Lesson has to be that we all have to take a leaf from your book!!! and decide no longer to be passive but to take personal responsibility for our health and refuse to take no for an answer. 

Get the information for it truly is power!! keep going back to the doctor again and again til they are sick of the sight of you. Do as much as you can thats in your own hands - research dietary supplements or buy medicines yourself - and a second opinion, if you can afford it and feel you need it!

And most important of all on the NHS - if your GP isnt helping - wont listen, is unsympathetic, makes you feel like a hypochondriac or a malingerer or a chronic complainer - then change your GP. They work for us after all!!

Hope you are feeling better now crapribs?? What dose of vit D are you on nowadays? Did you have an injection to bring your levels up fast to start with? 

And i dont wish to pry or embarrass you but how much did it cost to get your bloods done privately? Hope things are better now. 

• Posted

Ps I've just been reading BMj update and there's going to be big campaign  bout vit d and at risk groups will receive it...... We are 

Not on the at risk list!  Join fb group all things d deficency research and education very very helpful x

• Posted

bout blinking time there was some sort of campaign - but I bet lots of doctors wont take any notice, lots of patients wont get the info, and those  that do get the info and ask their doctor for testing/supplements will get fobbed off with the old ' if you are eating a varied diet and living a normal life you dont need supplements' line.

So many doctors just plain resent being told anything by the patient. It is so frustrating - even if they secretly think your right they are so put out by it that they dig their heels in just to be in charge. (in my experience, very old male and very young female Docs are the worst for this 'I am the expert, not you!' syndrome!! although I know that is generalising!!)

Its such a shame that it so often takes us til we're almost middle aged to realise theyare only human beings who are not infallible and summon up the courage to stand up for ourselves....

When I think back to all the times I have just meekly accepted what the GP has told me and gone home and put up with symptoms, I could weep.

Anybody out there - esp young 'uns! - who is unhappy with what their GPs telling them - go back and tell them, and keep going back until you get it sorted, and if you cant, change your GP - you have a right to a good relationship with your GP where you kinow you will be taken seriously and beleived and have confidence in your GPs knowledge, ability and how up to date they are.

Im not on fb - but I am obsessed with an involved in politics at local and national levels (im not affiliated with any particular party - I keep a permanently open mind, I dont really 'do' loyalty or partisanship!) so I shall be looking into raising the question wherever possible to promote education, research, NICE policy etc etc.

Nice one crapribs - thanks for the info!! 

• Posted

Your so right. I was timid too! I asked doctor why we arnt tested he said had would be handing out scripts  all day!! Pity for his hump!!!  All needless costly tests all fur sake of a vitamin d test it's very cheap to correct a deficiency!!!
    • Posted

Too true - I reckon we should ALL be on vit D scripts in this country - the angle of the sun here just isnt right for us to get enough good sunlight, plus we all cover up/sunscreen etc all the time nowadays...

Think of all the people who have osteoporosis needlessly, all the old ladies who need hip replacements and have fractures etc cos of it - vit D massively implicated.

Surely it cant be too difficult to do an annual test as a matter of course? or develop home testing kits?

Theres also a bit of a problem with B12 - so many people dont eat meat, or eat very little good quality meat - again, its so important but its just not recognised how vital it is and how easy to miss out if you dont eat a lot of meat.

• Posted

Atleast  7 yr ive been left to rot yes ive been sent to rheumys etc  waste time and when they found nothing significant  was just left! All for the sake of a blood test! And their the educated ones?  Got my oen blood tesrs and here lam, not symptom free but feeling imprive 

• Posted

Imovement! Excuse typo etc having problems on this page! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.