Any advice on what to do about stomach bloating???

Posted , 10 users are following.

About the same time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, (about four weeks ago) my stomach started bloating. I have always had a flat tummy, but in just a few weeks, I look and feel like I am carrying around a bowling ball. Any comments or help? Very uncomfortable, and can't wear any of my pants.

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cia!

I've had the same problem. I've had hypothyroidism since 2008 and yet starting this year I have been bloating like I'm 4-6 months pregnant. I'm single and it's awful hearing everyone saying I'm pregnant =__= I can't wear all my skirts anymore and I look like i'm carrying a baby when I'm wearing a dress. When I drink a glass of water, it becomes the biggest ever... I've also noticed that I've kinda developed constipation. I can poo everyday but just not much.

There's really no solution (based on what i've read so far). I'm not taking any levo or anything anymore too. I've tried soluting apple cider vinegar on hot water, fruit/vegetable juice, crunches/sit ups and more to no avail. I've talk with a doctor (IM) regarding my bloated stomach and constipation. He gave me simethicone 40 mg for the bloating. I've yet to try it tomorrow tho. Hope it works. It's starting to scare me.

• Posted

Exactly...it's starting to scare me too.When they told me I would die of cancer (years ago) that didn't scare me. When I was told a couple of months ago that I had cirrhosis, that didn't scare me....this does because it totally inhibits my life, and is uncomfortable 24/7.

Water....more bloating, constipation, I do use a natural product to help that, and it does. It's a help to me to know I'm not alone in this, but Pinku, I'm so sorry you are living throught this, too...so very sorry. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Let me know if the bloating med helps. How long were you on the levo?

With clothes, I have had to cut the elastic on my pants to wear them, and the ones that button don't anymore. Even a size up doesn't button. Let's keep in touch and share if we find anything that helps Honey.

• Posted

I had the same problem when I first started to gain weight I was 100 pounds and I had terrible distention in my belly I literally looked pregnant to the point I was sent for an upper gi turns out it was gastritis, which apparently is common after gallbladder surgery and hypothyroidism. My dr told me to try probiotics which does help I also use cascara sagrada if I become bound
    • Posted

Thanks joey. i so use a blend that includes cascara sagrada and it does help. Will try probiotics, also.
    • Posted

Be careful with the apple cider vinegar. In addition to my thyroid symptoms, tumor in head, growth on thyroid, now I'm being told that I have CPPD which is my body is overrun with calcium crystals in my blood and joints and this causes arthritis like symptoms. I have had the constipation for years and took apple cider vinegar for years as a healthy supplement but have also been told I have esophagitis/GERD from too much acid that I am sure the ACV played a part in.

• Posted

Don't be sorry lol I've been using levo since I 2008-2014. I first had 100mg, cut down to 50, then was using 25 mg (half of the tablet) most of the years. I felt it was no use taking them so I stopped 2 years ago. I thought my bloated stomach was the effect of me stopped taking levo. i guess I was wrong. I'll take them again once I'm done with my check up with my Endocrinologist next month. 

• Posted

Yeah..I'm not very confident with apple cider. I only drink a spoon dilluted in a cup of hot water. I don't feel very good taking it. I've heard of the pro-biotics too. I'll try that too.

I'll try reading about the relationship of hypothyroidism and gastritis. I've known people with hypo but they're so skinny and never had bloating for years. :\

• Posted

I'm so glad our discussions have helped, Pinku. if my doctor tells me anything that could help us, I will let you know, Honey. wink

• Posted

Thanks Cia. Pls do let me know. wink

I feel at ease know I'm not alone in this.

• Posted

With hypothroyid it slows your metabolism down and you gain weight very fast. Exercise, like walking, yoga and treadmill is good, but you have to be mindful of what you eat. I use to weigh 135 and I am 160 lbs now.
    • Posted

I am actually losing weight. My limbs are getting thinner and thinner. It is only my belly area that truly looks like a bowling ball. I can't even distract myself with anything that requires that I sit for more than a few minutes, as the bigger my belly gets, the more my lower back has started to spasm. I spend most of my days lying on my side, as being on my back is even more uncomfortable.

All this with insomnia is really hard to handle...I can't even escape into sleep.

I miss being able to spend time here on the anxiety forum where I feel I can help some people, but as I said, I have to watch that I don't sit for more than a few minutes at a time.

I am doing my best not to feel sorry for myself, but sometimes it's difficult to do.wink

I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of days, but I wanted to hear uf anyone else has this specific problem.

Thanks for responding, Shelia...much appreciated.

• Posted

Its truly difficult, because when I was diagnosed, I started feeling really weird. My fingernails started breaking and my hair was falling out. Its really hard to deal with the symptoms that comes with hypothroyid.
    • Posted

If you don't mind me asking, what meds did they put you on?

• Posted

I am on 50 MGs of Levothyroxine. It's been about three weeks.

• Posted

Oh ok, they started me on 125 levothyroxine, it made my body ache all over, I couldn't do anything those first 2 weeks. I Pray that everything turns out ok for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.