Any advice on what to do about stomach bloating???

Posted , 10 users are following.

About the same time I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, (about four weeks ago) my stomach started bloating. I have always had a flat tummy, but in just a few weeks, I look and feel like I am carrying around a bowling ball. Any comments or help? Very uncomfortable, and can't wear any of my pants.

2 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you tried cutting out gluten? Helped with my IBS symptoms and might also help with the bloating
    • Posted

I actually asked for a gluten sensitivity test, and have absolutely no problem there. Thanks for the input, Sayhitocaz.

For the first three weeks, I cut out all grain....no difference.

• Posted

It's still early days for you yet after being diagnosed and your meds will take some time to firstly kick in and take effect and also to get to the right levels. I looked like I was 7 months pregnant when first diagnosed as had severe bloating along with a long list of other symptoms. It's been about 2 years now since I was diagnosed . The bloating prob subsided after about 5/6 months. I still have the weight but majority of other symptoms are near enough under control provided I take my meds all the time. I went from 50mg to 175mg of levothyroxine. Good luck in your journey 😊

• Posted

i can't thank you enough for...hope!!!! I wasn't sure there was any, Cwhite. Thank you so very much for replying. There are actually tears of relief running doen my face. Just knowing there will be an end to this is the most amazing feeling of gratefulness I have ever experienced, you dear person.

I am now on 50 MGs of the same drug as you. I'll see if the doctor is going to increase it in a couple of days.

I have often been the one replying on the anxiety forum, and now know what people mean when they tell me that one of my replies gave them hope. Thank you again and many blessings to you.

• Posted

I am not gluten sensitive. Any do and dont dietary advice?
  • Posted

I have not been diagnosed yet, but am sure I have thyroid problems. I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor last December and this cause thyroid complications. The latest is that I have some type of growth around my thyroid but doctors always say we will watch it...watch what, my symptoms get worse. I have heard that thyroid problems can be difficult to diagnose as what is typically normal values some may not hold true for all. I also have the IBS and bloating. I think gluten adds to this problem and I will start to cut back.
    • Posted

My sister has been on thyroid meds for a few years. She just found out she is gluten sensitive, cut out all gluten, and says her life has changed for the better.

Just ask your doctor to test you for gluten sensitivity, Janice. it is a simple blood test, and the results come back quickly. Hugs to you.

• Posted

I was prescribed 100 of levothyroxine, I had every symptom xs 10. I was so depressed but after taking it for 2 months the symptoms have subsided enough to wake up every day for about a week now (fingers crossed) I'll continue to feel better and better. Does anyone have problems with their menstrual cycle and getting pregnant?

• Posted

I'm at 50MGs, hoping doctor will increase it tomorrow. Thanks again, Joey.

• Posted

I am 58 now but suspect I've had an undiagnosed thyroid problem for years. I would go to the doctor and on more than one occasion while being examined a doctor has asked if I have thyroid problems. I had difficulty with pregnancy. I had a son at 19, but all other pregnancies ended in spontaneous abortion where for some reason my body would abort the baby within the first few weeks.

• Posted

I have the same problem! It started out slowly and over a period of about 2 years  I went from a skinny size double zero up to almost a size 9!  I am as big as I was when I was 8 months pregnant with my 25 year old son! Its so distressing. I was just diganosed with hypothyroidism and started medication about 3 months ago. I had to ask for the blood test I was so tired I cant stay awake and couldnt poo either so I knew something was wrong SInce starting L-thyroxine the only thing I have noticed is my migraines have increased and my hot flashes are back. I did have horrible ridges and humps in my thumb nails and those are gone but nothing else! I also have the constipation but take b-12 and that helps a lot but I was also deficient in that as well. I also have the dry skin and hair and huge belly. I thought I had liver disease or asistis which is an accumulation of fluid due to liver faliure but had a scan and its not that. Its all in my belly too. I call it belly swelly. I have tried dieting and everything else. I put myself on an extreme diet of one cheese sandwich a day for a month and actually gained weight! I am 56 years old and single as well but forget dating I look like a hag! I dont know what to do about it. It feels like a huge collection of fat around the waist. Thats what it is and Im not sure why this disease causes it.
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. I am trying to learn all I can and you have helped a lot. From what I have read so far, you and I were both diagnosed and put on meds a fairly short time ago, and the meds take awhile to  work....and may have to be adjusted periodically.
    • Posted

I have the belly fat as well and would welcome any suggestions. I think the belly fat has a lot to do with IBS that often accompany thyroid problems. I find when I do have a complete bowel movement which is rare, my stomach almost immediately goes down. Unfortunately, I had a procedure for fibroids 15 years ago that shrank them so fast that I now have excess skin and when the bloating goes down I have the extra skin to contend with.

Jan

• Posted

Did you bloating start when you stared taking levothyroxine? I was put on levothyroxine a year and half ago 50mcg and I've been bloated ever since I've taken the drug!! I hate it but doctor hasn't done anything to help. He said it will go after a few months of taking it, 18 months down the line it's still as bad as it's always been. I swear it's to do with the levothyroxine!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.