Any advice re a TKR pack?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Do I get a foot strap and a plastic stocking for the shower? What else is helpful and where do I get it? My TKR has been brought forward.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I wasn't given any leg lifter. Was told to use good leg to lift operated leg but ultimately had to lift it on my own, physio said this wS to build up muscle strength. Also didn't need anything for the toilet, just had to sit with operated leg straight at first. It certainly seems that every hospital, physio and consultant gave their own take on what we should do after the op.
    • Posted

Yes they are all different, second day physio told me to use my good leg to help get my other leg onto the bed, but to try hard to do it before that and the muscles would get stronger. No raised loo seat either, straight leg to start with then as the bend gets better. That's one of the exercises at circuit training standing and sitting on a low chair and holding the sit position in the middle! 
    • Posted

Yes - there does seem to be a variety of ways of dealing with stuff but now I've got a rounded view so now I know which questions to ask at the preassessment which is really helpful. Thanks for the response
  • Posted

I must say that I would have liked to have one of those seats which goes over the loo to make it higher.  Getting on to it wasn't too bad, although always a bit painful, but getting back up was a real strain, and contributed to causing problems with my 'good' knee. . Nothing to hold on to in my bathroom, . . Depends whether you have anything you can pull yourself up with, but iuf not, I really recommend getting that . . Having cistitis which meants I was up and down on it all night didn't help . . . 
  • Posted

Oh, and regarding showers. . I had showers from day two in the hospital . .no problem. the dressing were waterproof, but go by what the hospital tell you .  I had staples. . no problem. thank heavens for the walk in shower though . . Not sure how I would have coped with getting in a bath.  You can get a 'bathboard' which would help with that, if you don't have a walk in shower. . . non slip mat would be a good idea!
    • Posted

Got a walk in shower - the non slip mat is a good idea. Thanks. Hope you're progressing ok - you seem to have had a difficult time
    • Posted

No more than most of us I think!  I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to pain I think . . . probably should have pushed for more bend before now . . . Glad you've got the walk n sower. . it makes such a difference.  If there's room, a plastic garden chair in there is a big help too . . . 
  • Posted

Hi Gail

It's not a big thing, but I bought a large silk headscarf, with the intention of using it as a bandanna for the early post op days. It turned out I didn't use it for that, but I use it to drape over my wound/scar, as I've found it too sensitive to have a duvet or blanket on it. I'd also suggest "doubling up" on things like leg lifters and long handled grippers, so you have one in your bedroom and one in your lounge, or wherever you will spend your days.

• Posted

Thanks Terri- the doubling up and the bandana ideas are really useful. I think I will be super prepared with the forums help.
  • Posted

I am 10 days post tkr, so I can say definitely in my opinion buy a leg lifter, I bought mine online     . I know people who have used dressing gown belts instead, same principle., my lifter is quite rigid which I think is a great advantage. When I had an exploratory last year I bought a shower sleeve, it would not stay up at all and went in the bin,but, I have very small legs so that could have been the problem. Good luck with your op  
  • Posted

Hi

I had a shower every day in hospital and was fine with the waterproof dressing they used. Once home I couldn't as my shower was over the bath and I wasn't able to get in and out.so made do with a good wash and then twice a week went to my daughters to shower.

Also regarding the lifter., the physio gave me a length of stretchy crepe bandage and that worked perfectly. I used it a lot in the early days before I could lift my leg on my own. Also found the fashionable scarfs I wear could also be utilised as a lifter.

In the early days and as I was on my own during the day I used a small back pack and a thermos drinking cup which meant I could still use both sticks and have a hot drink etc. Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.