Any advice welcome!

Posted , 13 users are following.

I've had PF for about 3 years now in both feet.

I've seen a podiatrist, physiotherapist and had a steroid injection.

I've just finished 5 weeks of shock wave therapy and my foot was MUCH better up until last week and I'm now in complete agony on my left foot. My job involves standing and moving a lot. I cannot stop crying because it's making me so down. Has anyone got an suggestions to stop the pain through the day so I can get through work. Thank you so much

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Emily - I am sorry to hear about what you are going through as it is well known to many of us

Unfortunately there is no 'magic bullet' with PF steroid inections and painkillers (I take a triple dose of Naproxen) can take a lot of pain away but that often means you just put more strain on the foot and when the painkiller wears off it is much much worse

I hope someone can offer more contructive help but rest for several days is the best

I have seen an American made leg brace that although a bit clunky could do the job It is strapped around the thigh and your your knee takes all the weight with your lower leg stuck out at 90 degrees behind you effectively taking all weight off the foot

Hope things are better for you soon

• Posted

I have considered cutting my dang door of at times, robot foot sounds allot better at this point in life. I am only able to walk using vionic shoes because I have normal arches and the regular planters insoles are just to low for me. I also wear a compression sock most of the day and sleep in a boot. Unless my foot falls asleep that is. When I have a really bad day I use crutches or a Cain. I'm only 33 and I feel like I'm 83! What a life!

• Posted

Hey! I'm 32 so I totally get where you are coming from!

I just don't know if at 32 I can give up and accept this is gonna be my life 😢

• Posted

I am a retired physician and plantar fasciitis patient.  My plantar fasciitis began around February 2016.  After about four months, it completely resolved.

Here's what I think.  Plantar fasciitis is inflammation in the area of the attachment of the plantar fascia to the heel bone.  This begins from trauma and/or some minimal tearing of the plantar fascia (just a few fibers) that results, naturally, in inflammation which is the body's way of healing any tissue injury.  Inflammation hurts until it heals and resolves. 

So what's so difficult about curing P.F.?  Well we walk on it!!!  Let's say we take 5000 steps a day.  Imagine inflammation of your elbow, (i.e. tennis elbow).  Imagine taking your sore "tennis elbow" and wacking it against the wall, 5000 times a day.  Think it would heal quickly?  I don't either.

So my cure for plantar fasciitis is cushion, cushion and cushion!!!  That's right - cushion your heel!!!  Here's what I did.  First, I wore the plantar fasciitis "relief bridge" gel-heel innersole in my shoes - that I got at Walgreen's for about $11.  (I plan to use them indefinitely in my shoes.)  Then I wear a pair (usually) of nice thickish sox.  On my heel I wore fasciitis therapy wrap padded supports that I got on the internet for about $13.  (I don't wear them any more.)  So when I had my PF, under my heels I had 3 cushion layers.  I wore this about 24 hours a day - except when in the shower or swimming.  And after about 4 months, the PF was totally gone.

That's what I think.  I hope this helps you and the many other sufferers of plantar fasciitis. 

• Posted

Thank you, will give anything a go. I literally am at a loss
  • Posted

Hi friend,

i feel your pain. I've had PF and a large heel spur on my left foot for 2 years and have gone through the same treatment set as you with little to no relief until two weeks ago. I have been undergoing shockwave treatment for eight weeks now, and it was only just two weeks ago that I started to get some relief. Here's what I did. I went away to my mothers to stay for a week. Just because of various things going on there, I did none of my foot or body exercises at all. Didn't roll my foot over a tennis ball morning and night as I have been doing for 2 years no calf stretching, stopped wearing my night brace, didn't do the foot rub before I stood up. I also wore my running shoes almost 100% of the time, and I used her foot circulation machine. that week I had almost no pain or symptoms at all! I couldn't believe it. Since I've been back, I've continued to do not foot exercises, have worn my running shoes and restarted shockwave treatments. I've gotten a few random stabbing pains, but not the daily pain I've had for two years. I'm going to buy the foot circulation machine tomorrow. I'm optimistic for the first time in a long time.

good luck!

• Posted

What type of foot circulation machine? The type that goes all the way up your legs or the type that you just put your feet in?
    • Posted

Hi,I'm so happy to hear that you found something that works for you. Can you please send the brand of the foot circulation machine. Thanks

• Posted

Just put your foot on. Feels great. Revitive is the brand
  • Posted

Hi Emily,  I'm so sorry you're in so much pain.

Just curious--you say your left foot is the one bothering you now. Did you have shock wave on your right foot? and your left?

Although EPAT is a clinically proven approach and has an 80%+ success rate, there are cases where it doesn't eliminate the pain as there is more going on.  Like David mentioned, there's no "magic bullet."

In addition to EPAT, I, too, believe in cushioning and the right shoes/orthotics to help with any mechanical deficiences and is important in addressing underlying causes. However, being that you've been suffering for 3+ years (which makes your condition chronic), cushioning alone will not fixed damaged tissue.

Have you had an MRI to better understand what's going on?

Did you see a doctor in the U.S?

• Posted

Hello Emily. I also have this and have found the strangest aid ever. Bearing in mind I've tried everything going. A few weeks ago I bought a new I pod cover and there was a piese of greywaxy type foam stuff in it. I placed it in my shoe (being daft really) and I cannot tell you the refief I get from it. The only problem is it only last a day. I don't know what its called besides packaging. I've also found comfort using a cut up mouse mat.

• Posted

Me again. Where I say it lasts a day I mean the foam as it gets flattened out so I need a new piece.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.