Any artists here that can answer concerns with Panoptix vison results?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I can't find answers to my question so far, and desperately want to know the experience of an artist. I have my 1st cataract surgery next week for my left eye. My Dr. suggested the Panoptix tri-focal and says it's a clear lens, which is all he uses. Other cataract lense replacements have a yellow tint to them. My concern is that, as an artist, will my world of color, so to speak, change? Will I see true colors so I can correctly create my painting and portraits, or will everything be forever changed? I did tell the Dr. I'm an artist and he said "colors will be brighter". If that's true, then fine. However, I saw photos depicting how you see colors with yellow vs clear lenses. While I don't want a yellow hue on everything, I also don't want everything appearing in all cool hues, either. I'm very concerned about this.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Here is a graph showing the difference in light transmittance of a clear lens (SA60AT) compared to a blue light filtering lens (SN60WF), and the transmittance of a natural lens (blue area) of a natural lens 4-53 year old. As you can see there is significan blue light transmitted by a clear lens that is never seen by a person of any age with a natural lens. These still is a bit of a boost in the 500 nm range even with the blue light filtering lens, but it is unlikely to have a significant effect on the overall colour perception.

I can understand why a person that wants a particular lens that is not available in blue light filtering might choose it due to features the clear lens has that are not available in a blue light filtering lens. But, when the same lens is available with blue light filtering, it seems like a slam dunk decision to go with blue light filtering. There is no down side to blue light filtering, only upside.

• Edited

Thanks very much for taking the time. I am praying this new lens will have very subtle changes for me as well. When I look at a photo shown in cool tones (blue), created by the clear lens vs warm tone (yellow), I don't like the idea of everything looking like either one, but the one with the yellow hue gives some people a problem in dimmer lighting - say, watching TV with a desk lamp on, vs daytime. I don't want that kind of difficulty. Thanks again.

• Posted

It is just one data point, but I have a friend that got PanOptix lenses in both eyes about 5 years ago now. I recall she paid about $4,500 Canadian for the pair. She was not at all pleased with the outcome. In her words, there are "huge" halos around oncoming traffic headlights and as a result she will now not drive at night. And, during the day and even outside in sunlight she uses +1.75 D readers to read books. She days she has about a dozen pair of glasses planted in various locations in their two homes, two vehicles, and trailer. In her words she is not unhappy to the point of having them explanted and replaced with monofocals, but she said if she could do it all over again she would choose the monofocals which she could get at no cost compared to the $4,500 she paid for the PanOptix lenses.

This said, there are others here that report that they like the PanOptix and are not bothered by the optical side effects.

• Posted

And as I pointed out in another reply above, it's about more than just halos. The light splitting optics of MF implants means a lower quality image overall at all distances and in all lighting. It's a compromise that people accept purely for the benefit of not needing glasses as much… although even that is not always the case as your friend's story demonstrates. And certainly in low light you will probably still need glasses in any case.

• Edited

Yes, due to light splitting, a MF is not going to give the same quality of image as a monofocal, especially in dimmer light. Contrast sensitivity is going to be lower especially at night.

• Edited

Have you read the Panoptix package disclosure? Have you worn multifocal contact lens in the past (before cataracts)? If you successfully wore them, chances are the IOL version will work for you unless the condition of your eyes and health have materially changed. Light filtering lenses shouldn't be a problem compared to the yellowing effect of cataracts. I am not an artist but love the color of fabrics and amazed at their appearance after cataract surgery (with blue light filtering lenses).

• Edited

I'm not sure if anyone has recommended monofocals set to near rather than distance. That might provide the best quality near or near/intermediate vision (depending on the target) without glasses in case that would be helpful for your work as an artist.

This is a little off target from your question but my surgeon implanted clear Clareon monofocals (no yellow tint). The result in my eyes is very natural. neither cool nor warm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.