any body wish they didn't have their knee op

Posted , 21 users are following.

due to pain , lack of movement , not what you expected

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did. Especially in the first couple of weeks. Getting better after 6 weeks. Still stiff, tight and painful 
  • Posted

Just about all of us Mick, in the beginning.  Hang on in there.  It’s not like they can take the new knee back and replace with the old.  I’m sure, if they could have , I’d have been there with bells on.  I know that early on, it’s miserable and you think no one else could be going through the same pain etc but time really does heal.  Do what you have to to get through this.  Take the meds as prescribed, exercise and rest up when you can.  You’ll be fine, honestly.

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Me too...but not now....things are getting better every day.....but my goodness it was along tough, rough ride.....and I am 7 months post-op.....so hang on in there....

You don't say how long ago you had your op but stick at it....look at some of Chicos posts on here and you will get really good, sound advice.....wishing you well...x

• Posted

You will notice a pattern.  People in their first 3 months post-op will tell you they regret it.  Then speak to people who have completed their full recovery.  A year later, the response is the opposite.  Yes, there are a few people who have ongoing problems but the vast majority of TKR patients will tell you that down the road it was well worth going through the horror and now being able to live a pain-free life.  It's the nature of the beast.  We all have the same exact feelings while going through the recovery.

• Posted

I wish I had not needed the surgery in the first place. It had to happen due to knee becoming so bad and making life very difficult. But 15 months post op, I'm disappointed the result has not been better. From the beginning, the pain meds either did not work or made me very sick. I had scar tissue form super fast and needed manipulation to be able to bend. The pain of trying to move was off the scale and sleep was non existent at first. Not the best start - I noticed others seemed to do better right away. From then on it was really slow and had a lot of setbacks. The x ray looks OK, so I am just getting on with it - I believe we can still improve even up to 2 years, so hoping for the best. It has put me off having other knee or hip done. But I know I am in the minority, most seem to love their new knee after the initial stage of recovery. 

• Posted

Me atm. Took 2 weeks for scar to heal, was infected with 3 different bacteria, four weeks on 4000mg antibiotics which made me feel awful, swelling preventing me bending it more than 85deg, horrific pain at times. Plus lower back pain & aggravated right knee making exercising very painful! I feel like my old life has gone...not able to go out shopping or visiting places. Initial flow of friends visiting now dried up & receive texts "hope your knee is much better". Feeling down in the dumps! But could I have carried on without the op? Don't think so....just wish recovery was much faster & more straightforward. But...there are ALWAYS people worse off so trying to stay positive! Hope you manage to do the same.

• Posted

I did, soon after the op, but almost 20 years on I'm really glad I had it done. Twenty years of no knee pain, it was worth it. 

• Posted

Only everyday for the past 5 months.   Yes , 5 long months.   Wish I had never ever had it done!    My other knee sure won't be going under the hack saw..... 

• Posted

Very much with you Martha.. 13 months since TKR and not able to forget about it for a minute. Max 90 degree flex, which isnt good enough for the rest of my life, so back in next week for an MRI and xrays, then seeing a revisionist. Post-op the flex was unsustainable (even with 4 weeks, twice daily on a rented CPM), mainly due to the swelling, but I did have 120 degrees. Two MUA's later and now at 90, but that is pushing it. Lets call it a 'pyhsios-90' !  

Having had a long and painful 'recovery', I dread the thought of further surgery, but 90 just isnt good enough. 

Like you, my other knee will remain painful, but intact....

• Posted

Stick with the site, there are some amazing people who have been there and done it and have great advice for getting through this!!!  I know I don't know what I would of done if I had not found this site. 

It is not what I expected...but it is slowly getting better.  I am over 5 months post op.  

Jenny80029 who hopefully will see your post had one of the best bits of insight into this progress for me.  She wrote 

Those mood troughs! They seem to be part and parcel of having major surgery. And with a knee replacement, as well as having had major surgery there is also the addition of reduced mobility. Well, not exactly reduced, rather limited in duration. Because it is a matter of pacing things carefully and will be for at the very least six months and possibly more.

An awareness of restrictions surfaces now and again, and the consciousness of this is bound to make one feel anxious and low in mood. Because while before having the surgery you have your restrictions, you imagine having the surgery and them all being taken away. Well, this is true, but it is not quite like that. There is a kind of purgatory phase, between having the surgery, and reaping the benefits in full. And this is a difficult and challenging experience."

Purgatory, at 5 months post op I am still in it but starting to see the other side.    This is one tough surgery and as Chico Marx (another person who's post you want to read) said "your knee will heal when it heals" you have be zen about it.  

Yes, and Zen is the one thing I never thought I could do but I am doing it!!!!  

Hang in there.   

• Posted

Hi Mick a tkr 5 months ago.I have had 2 spinal fusions with instrumentation,a thr and most recently my knee.I was made aware the knee would be much harder to recover from.

I can honestly say it is the  worst decision I ever made to have the operation.

It was horrendous and although it is still swelling and really stiff it has exacerbated the pain in my second spinal surgery which failed.

I’m not saying to anyone don’t have the op but consider seriously any other health problems you have.I need the other knee done but absolutely no way will I put myself through that again.Good luck in your recovery.☘️

• Posted

Well Pat86848, I am 20 months post a cementless L. TKR and just learned that it has failed! Yes, I definitely think I would have been better off without the TKR. I plan to live with the failed implant. The bone did not grow into the implant like it was suppose to.....I have no infection or swelling, just soreness and pain down my tibia when I bend over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.