Any good feedback from people on Cipralex ??

Posted , 61 users are following.

Since I joined this forum and the group on Cipralex all I seem to see are negatrive, negative, negative from this drug. I have never been on an anti-depressant in my whole life. But now at 59 struggling with terrible anxiety and panic attacks. It took me a long time since the Doc recommended Cipralex to make the decision to take it. But finally I did. I am on Day 8 only. And I am having some side effects, jitters, nervousness and racing heart here and there. But I would really love to hear some positives concerning this drug, cuz I am now having mixed feelings about my decision. I do want one thing and one thing only is to feel good again, and to feel myself again......

0 likes, 132 replies

132 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take 10 mg of this at bedtime and have had no problems with it.. I know you must eat something with it. How many mg are you on and when do u take it?
    • Posted

I also take a beta blocker and its stopped my racing heart/palpitations..
  • Posted

Hi Damon,I'm in the UK and I've been on Escitalopram (Cipralex) for 6 weeks. I have to honestly say this drug has saved my life...I have suffered from anxiety from childhood (I am now 42) and this June suffered my worst bout yet,lasting 6 months. Having been on a couple of different ssris before,Cipralex has far fewer side effects. I had slight headache,nausea and loss of appetite for the first week or so. The benefits,for me,started to kick in about week 4,so hang on in there. It is a very good drug with powerful anti anxiety properties. Wishing you all the best,hope this post helps
    • Posted

How many mgs do you take Justine? And do you take it at night or morning?
    • Posted

I'm gonna try mine after dinner today.. I'm having dizziness in the morning upon waking. Trying to figure out what's causing it. I take propanolol 20 mg twice a day also.. Just wanting to feel better in the mornings.. I take 10 mg also.
    • Posted

I just started on lexapro. What was a sign for you that it started working
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

I knew my Cipraex was working right away because on Day 3 I received some very bad news that my sister was in the hospital as she had tried to take her ow life. Needless to say I was terrified but I called my other sister and said we must go the hospital now and this is something I wouldn't have been able to handle before the meds. I was able to go to the hospital still a bit nervous but no where near the panic I would have been in had I not been on the meds. I also had to tell my parents the awful news as my other sister couldn't do it and I was able to tell them without falling apart and having a huge panic attack. Thank god my sister is fine now but I have to say the timing of it all is eerily coincidental. If I hadn't been on the meds I wouldn't have been able to be there for my sister. I had my sister come live with me for 2 years so I could take care of her and I wouldn't have been able to do that either as I didn't like people in my house, it was my safe place. We healed eachother and every day further with the meds I felt more and more comfortable. I haven't had a panic attack since I started Cipralex and my life is forever changed. I suspect I will be on them the rest of my life but I'm OK with that, it's the price I pay to feel "normal".Hope this helps and offers you some encouragement to stick with it and speak to yor doctor if you aren't feeling the benefits as you may need to adjust your dose.

Alison

• Posted

hi Alicat883

I intend to take cipralex , but I fear that does not benefit me & make it worse .. please i need your advice ..

Among the things that I suffer in addition to the anxiety are fear attacks and difficulty breathing ..

Appreciate your help

Thank you

• Posted

hi justine

I intend to take cipralex , but I fear that does not benefit me & make it worse .. please i need your advice ..

Among the things that I suffer in addition to the anxiety are fear attacks and difficulty breathing .. 

Appreciate your help

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Justine,

I understand your worry that it won't work but give it a try it could change your life like it did mine. I white-knuckled my way through life for over 20 years until finally I just couldn't do it anymore. I was sick and tired of being scared and anxious ALL the time and my panic attacks were increasing with regularity and severity. It took about 3 weeks for the meds to fully kick in but I felt an immediate difference by day 3. I could feel all the anxiety slipping away and for the first time in my life I had hope. After the 3 weeks it was skies the limit, I wasn't afraid of anything and my whole world opened up. Give the meds a chance and take a leap of faith for yourself, what have you got to lose? It's a little scary but the benefits for me totally outweigh any worries I had. It's been 4 years now and I will probably be on these meds the rest of my life in order to feel "normal" but for me it's worth it. You can do this and I hope you get the same results ! Best of Luck.  

• Posted

Hi AliCat,

I'm new her today.  I've been on Cipralex/Excitalopram for 4.5 years mostly at 10mg daily.  In the past couple of weeks I've been experiencing increasing anxiety for which my doc has prescribed increasing my dose to 15mg saying that 10mg is just the lowest therapeutic dose.  3 days in to 15mg and I was climbing the walls last so much that I ended up taking an ativan to sleep.  Have you ever had to increase and if so, does what I'm going through sound common?

I too will stay on this med as long as it works 'cause it's been a Godsend for me.  I'm hoping this "blip" will ease up soon.

janny

• Posted

Hello AliCat883, I am a mom of an 18 year old who has just (today ) began taking this medication.  I do not suffer as she does, or as you do.  I get worried and worked up about a task which appears 'scary' but I have no trouble taking it on.  I listen to you say ...."scared and anxious ALL the time" which is what she said to me just the other day.....'anxious about EVERYTHING'  If it's not to much to ask, would you be willing to open up about what that looks like for you?  I try to get her too, but it's either something she can't or wont.  I really want to understand and FEEL, what she does.  I'm her mom, anything bad should be happening to me, not my little girl!!!!

thank you

• Posted

How did that work out.  Was on it for a while.  I suggest that people start off slowly, cutting pills into 1/4 to ease in over several weeks.  I got freaked out starting it.  The stuff sure got rid of anxiety put it also zapped a lot of other systems.  I was able to do the guardian cryptic before cipralex but could not find one word after.  The clues were like greek to me.  No sex drive and no appetite.  Stopped after a year or so and feel good.  Talk-therapy, friends and a counsellor fill the void now.

• Posted

Hi , we just lost a family member tragically . This med has saved me from the anxiety and panic attackes and severe emotional instability I suffered. Been only 10 days and the anxiety is gone. Highly recommend. Only thirsty and little appetite first few days. Has helped me cope . Worse feeling , will continue till I am well enough to go off it.
    • Posted

Hi, I am the mom of a 19yr old girl who has started her meds only three weeks ago. She has been on Citalopram but the side effects right now are giving her so much muscle and body pains,bruising, joint pains, nightmares, etc. We are switching to Cipralex tonight. I have heard that Cipralex has less side effects. What should we watch out as to switching drugs, and as to what may be side effects from Cipralex?

Thanks very much for any help and info that you can share. 

Warmest regards.

• Posted

Hello bernjd

I myself am currently on week four of cipralex. I can say it's starting to work, well at least I think so lol..I started at 5mg(cut my 10mg in half, switching to 10 mg now soon). For my I had mild side effects, nauseous within an hour or two after taking pill, headaches, jaw pain but I also have TMJ. Also it messed up my sleep, I would fall asleep but wake up at 4am every morning anxious but it does subside after about two weeks..for me I started taking mine before bed so I'd sleep off most side effects then switched to evening to help sleep better. I also would take an Ativan 1mg at bed to just knock me out if I felt I needed it..cipralex can make you feel a little more anxious at first but it does subside..keep an eye on the side effects and remember after about two weeks should be mostly gone if not bearable..I too was on citrolapam at first and it messed me up too bad..well best of luck to you and your daughter I find this med is working for me so hope it does for you!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much, brad79652! I am so thankful that you are sharing your experience. I am an anxious mom too and being aware helps me to be more calm and allows me to help my daughter better. It crushes me to see her in pain especially if I am not sure if the side effects are going to cause very serious damage.  Hearing from you gives us so much hope. 

The side effects she is experiencing under Citalopram are causing me much concern. For about 3 days now, ,she has been complaining about body pain,, joint pains, wrist pain, bruising, ,fatigue, etc. but she just tries to be positive knowing her mental health is better. But yes, if Cipralex will not have as many side effects, then we would be more than happy to switch her to the brand. 

• Posted

HI AliCate883 is there any tiem frame for longest and shortest treatment or  it is life time if neeed case to case
    • Posted

Hi Alison

I am considering trying this for my anxiety/panic and wondered if you wouldn't mind answering a personal question...has this drug affected your sex life (libido and sexual response)?  What dose are you taking?  Has it caused any weight gain?  I have been on a few different anxiety meds over the years and the negative impact on the sex life was always the driver to get me off them.  I have come off everything once again for a few months but the anxiety/panic response and excessive worry has come back hard and fast waking me up at night and leaving me unmotivated and directionless during the day.

Thanks for your input

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.