Any good feedback from people on Cipralex ??

Posted , 61 users are following.

Since I joined this forum and the group on Cipralex all I seem to see are negatrive, negative, negative from this drug. I have never been on an anti-depressant in my whole life. But now at 59 struggling with terrible anxiety and panic attacks. It took me a long time since the Doc recommended Cipralex to make the decision to take it. But finally I did. I am on Day 8 only. And I am having some side effects, jitters, nervousness and racing heart here and there. But I would really love to hear some positives concerning this drug, cuz I am now having mixed feelings about my decision. I do want one thing and one thing only is to feel good again, and to feel myself again......

0 likes, 132 replies

132 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As you know it takes an average of 6 weeks for most anti depresants to reach their full potency I'very been on Cipralex for 5.5 years with few side effects - I take 10 mgs.daily. When me doctor wanted me to take 20 mg. I experienced night sweats.

. I find Cipralex a good meducatn due

• Posted

Hi,

I take 10 mg. At night with no problems. I'very been on Cipralex for 5.5 years. Beside having few side effects as an anti depressant Cipralex is also a mood stablizer and is supposed to help with anxiety (I have GAD).

You may want to make a chart with time and symptoms - then you have something concrete to show your doctor and of course a record for yourself.

Are you familiar with CAT? Cognitive behavioral Therapy is very effective in reducing anxiety. The is also an anxiety website / support if you're interested. If you can't find it contact me and I'll look it up. Good luck to you with the Cipralex. Karin

• Posted

Thanks Karin

A very informative and supporting message you wrote. I live in Canada (Montreal). I am 59 and have had on and off anxiety since I was in my early twenties. Went years without it . But recently in the past several months went on a mid-life crisis breakdown with a ton of anxiety. Never been on an anti-depressant. Was on Ativan in my early thirties for seven months and that's it. So it took me a long time after getting the prescription from my Doc for the Cipralex to actually take it. I struggled and hesitated and decided more than once to find a hundred reasons why I coiuld fight this and not have to be on this med. But then started weighing the odds. I will be 60 this year, the quality of my life is full of fear, anxiety, stress and tension. I want to start living again. Hence decided to start the Cipralex. I am at the end of week two, starting week three. Had a few nausea episodes. But the thing that is disturbing me the most is the tremors I am experiencing. Mostly in the morning before I take the Cipralex. I take 10 mg at 10;30 a.m. each day. After I take it sometimes the tremors go away and I'm okay for the rest of the day. It started last week with this nervousness and shakiness inside, so I asked my Doc about it. And she advised to continue. Now all day yesterday and last night till I went to sleep I had tremors, which ruined my day and evening. Its an awful feeling which I don't know if I can continue to live with, therefore, might call the Doc and tell her I want to stop this drug. Deep down I don't want to stop and want to hope that it will go away and I will start feeling awesome after the time period for this drug to take affect. But if these tremors continue I really don't know. sad What do you think ?

• Posted

Hi Damom,

It sounds like you' very had a rough go. I hope you are beginning to heal from the breakdown / meltdown, it all takes time and patience with yourself

I just checked on tremors and CipraleX *key words) and yes it comes up as a possible side effect I have a bit a shakinessential in my hands to the point that finè handwork is difficult Remember that antidepessants can take at least 6 weeks to work. It appears that alot of side effect's go over time

• Posted

I'm havin some problems working on my phone this morning. Another thing that comes to mind it that as we age medication can effect us differentry - a pharmacist is usually where I turn they are often better versed than doctors.

I t sounds like you've been thinking about the future and your quality of life. You asked what I would do I would contiune taking the Cipralex for 3-6 montH's, giving you body a chance to heat from the breakdown. Do you have regular appointments with your doctor?

After you'very established a baseline with the CipraleX you maybe able to decrease the dose

What is you doctor doing to help with the anxiety? You have my sympath, I suffer from an anxiety disordel and know how disabiling it can be. I was on a Clonazapam for 15 years

• Posted

Hi Karin

Thank you once again for your support and kindness. I decided to continue. I have a Doctor's appointment this Friday, therefore, I can discuss all this with my Doc. I have called my Pharmacist last week about the nervousness, etc. and he told me to go back to 5 mg. But since my Doc did not tell me to do that I will wait and see on Friday when I see her. In the meantime, so far today is a good day, had no nervousness or shakiness, nor tremors. But we'll see how the rest of the day and evening goes smile My Doctor has helped by putting me on Cipralex and also referred me to a therapist which I have been seeing for a couple of months now. Many dollars later, she is really nice, and we connect, but I don't think she is helping me much. It was nice to have someone to vent to and talk, but for the amount that it cost me, and the results.....I won't be seeing her for now anymore.

I also was taking Clonazapam. But I was only taking it as needed when I had an anxiety attack. My Doc had told me if I started to take it more regularly to let her know because she did not want me on these on a daily basis and would prescribe something else, hence the CipraleX. But I tell you, I did like those Clonazapam alot, they had no sides at all and made me feel amazing. And I only would take a half of 5 mg. so it was a very very little dose, but gave me alot of happiness and calmness.....smile Wish I could take those instead. Well thanks again so much Karin. How are you doing so far with the CipraleX ? Where do you live ?

• Posted

My doc had me titrated off of that Rx- as it is niw onky for shortterm use it took over a year. During that time I worked with a counselor who introduced me to CBT (cogenitive behavioral therapy) you can check that out online. Very effective, no medication. I think that you are staying ofF the medical sites for a while Have a good week Danom.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Damom,

I'm glad that you have an appointment with your doctor this coming week, she is the best person to make changes if necessary to the Cipralex. It is possible that you are sensitive to medications, everyone is different. I can relate to what you said about Clonazapam, It worked well for me for many years and made it possible for me to function in high pressured jobs. However now the medical establishment has decided that all drugs in the biodiazapine family are addichive and should not be prescribed long term. As someone that had to withdraw from Clonazapam I can attest to the dependency. I still would like the total relief that valium, adivan or clonzapam offered. I may speak to my new doctor about a limited presription for dealing with acute anxiety.- I don't know if my doc will agree but I will ask.

You asked where I live last May I moved from Ontario to Northern British Columbia. In both provinces I have lived in isolated, rural communities. Now I live in the village of Valemount surrounded by 3 mountain ranges - check it out on the Internet (the motto is "let the mountains move you" ).

In both the Bruce Peninsula and in rural BC I've had access to free counseling through a health worker on the medical team. If coSt is the main obstacAl to you continuing counseling see if there is a geared to income

Program for counseling. I was a social workemnother

• Posted

Hi I'm doing well with the CipraleX, it's been 4.5 years with no major side effects. Initially I experienced some nausea & tummy aches, slight shakes (maybe tremors)? And on 20 mg. Sweats especially at night.I weighed the side effects again the benefits and decided on the Cipralex Remember we are all unique and know best what does or doesn't work for us. Hopefully your doc can work with you and find the right dose and meds for you. When a med is working well I think that the benefits clearly outweigh the side effects. I don't lis having to take meds but The CipraleX makes a big difference for me and improves my qunlit of life.
    • Posted

Phone issues again. The Cipralex works well for me - let's hope it works for you as well. I take 10 mg. At bedtime (which was a result of some dizziness )

You asked where I live, in McBride, Britush Columbia. I moved back to the West from Ontario last May. Happy to be near the mountains. Medically this is Northern BC health service's we're considered isolated, rural communitiy1 There are good mental health services, including counseling. Got to go, hope you have a good apt. Friday. Bon chance. K

• Posted

Hi Karim 

I am feel luck to see such a good forum, i also started the Cipralax since june 2015. i can feel very drastic chnage in mood , anxirty , i wonder how lonng it take to use it . in you case 5.5 y seems long to me . in aidtion i also use Revotril drop when i have panic attack 

• Posted

No wonder you needed Cipralex - I've been on Ontario 8 months and just got put on them. Such a anti social / reserved /unfriendly/bleak (imho) place to live. 

• Posted

Hi Damon, 

My 19 yr old daughter has anxiety and will be switching from citalopram to cipralex tonight, after being on citalopram for 3 weeks. She has had so many side effects from citalopram use and we heard that there are less side effects from cipralex. I saw your post and wanted to  know how you are doing? I hope to get as much help from this forum  as I can for my girl. 

Thanks so much. 

• Posted

Hi Justine.

I am sorry that your daughters med didn't work out and hope that Cipralex will be more compatible for her.

I have taken Cipralex for many years now and it changed my life. I take a 10 mg dose before I go to sleep and have had almost no side effects. Just be patient and give it time. It may take up to a month to give her the full benefit.

I truly hope that it works for her and wish her good luck.

Sincerely,

Gunter 

• Posted

Thank you so much, Gunter. Yes, I am praying so hard for the day when she will be back up and running, without having to go through so many side effects. I am sure that deep in her heart, ,she wishes she did not have to go through so much, but she is being very patient and hopeful. I can't wait to get her on cipralex She is on 10mg of citalopram and I heard that cipralex is a stronger one. Should we switch her to onlyl 5 mg of cipralex?

• Posted

GO with what the doctor suggest. 10 mg is a very low dose.

Good luck,

Gunter

• Posted

Thank you so much, Gunter! smile It helps to hear from you and people who have been through this personally. I feel better now. smile
    • Posted

Hi Gunter! Many many thanks again for your help and comment. We went ahead with the 10 mg of Cipralex last night at the usual time 7:30 pm and my girl was sleepy as usual by 9:30 pm although we had some great mommy-daughter bonding time chatting first and then she was asleep by 10 pm. 

I have anxiety myself but did not realize I had it until I became aware of mental health and my daughter developed anxiety and I am off to see my therapist anytime soon. But, like the anxious mom that I always have been, I was pretty much up the entire night on the watch for any adverse side effects. We were so scared during the first week of taking Citalopram when my girl experienced side effects like body tremors/involuntary jerkings, worsened anxiety, shallow breathing, fixed/dull eyes, fear, etc. Then, as the weeks progressed, she experienced body pains all over, wrist pains, joint pains, clenched jaw, fatigue, etc. That was then, after 15 days of medication, that we asked our doctor and they prescribed a switch to cipralex. 

We are so happy that as I have read in most forums saying there are less side effects from Cipralex, my girl did not experience any overnight. I know it is quite early to say but normally, she would awake with a very painful jaw and body pain. Today, no jaw or body pain except for the lingering pain on her right wrist which she had two days ago, so hopefully this finally goes away.

Thank you so much .I am so happy to have found this forum! 

• Posted

Hi im sorry about your daughter. I myself started on ciprelrex in 2014 abd moved to tablet esitalopram some yime later. I started on drops 3mgs work to 15 then 20mg the side effects at the start very sleepy like a zombie. Aniexty worse fir a while then after 4 weeks settled down. I was very ill like a breakdown so much si my epilepsy returned after 16year. Diagnosed with GADs. It will gst better with time but as im sure you knoe takes time
    • Posted

Thank you so much, Claire. Just hearing from you and everyone inspires us and lets us know that there is hope for mental health, and especially for my girl. smile

Bern

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.