Any good news stories after Gallbladder removal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I'm due for surgery in 36 hours and was feeling quite positive about it all. I have to say though that after looking on this forum there have been some really poorly people after their surgery. Is this the norm? I was feeling ok till I read all this.... now feeling apprehensive & slightly nervous. Are there any good news stories? x

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi smigger! My surgery went really well. No problems at all. I was out before I even got to the OR. Surgeon said everything looked good. Lots of gallstones. After surgery I was only nauseated for a little while. I've had no problems with food at all. I've been really sore but that's to be expected. I took my pain medication regularly. Best part is no more gallbladder symptoms! Keep being positive. You'll do great!

• Posted

Hello !

I felt exactly like you when waiting for my gallbladder op and reading stories on here made me so nervous and anxious. However most people have extremely positive experiences with this operation and those who don't sometimes have multiple issues anyway with upper GI.

I am 4 weeks post op and so glad that I had it taken away, the only pain I have had is to be expected with an operation but now I am really enjoying no longer having the chronic pain and discomfort and nausea that my gallstones / /gallbladder caused. The very best of wishes and remain positive x

• Posted

Hi smigger, don't forget lots of people have this surgery and don't have any problems. I knew that having my gallbladder out wouldn't solve all my problems and is the first step to be fully recovered so don't be disheartened. I continue to talk on here with a few others as its very theraputic to talk to others that know what your going through.

Good luck with your surgery, I was really well looked after at my hospital and had a very positive experience with it so write back on here when your able to let us know how you are.

x

• Posted

Please don't worry too much about the aftermath of your surgery.  Your gallbladder is being removed for a good reason!  No one gets better trying to keep a diseased organ in their body, just because they fear the outcome of removing it!  smile

Once your gallbladder is removed, your body will need time to adapt and to heal itself. This site is for all, but mostly people write in who have had problems for comfort and practical support.  

Best of luck to you, I'm sure that like most people, you'll be fine.

• Posted

I had mine out on Monday.  So 5 days now.

Mine was slightly complicated, but even so I was out of bed within 1 hour (needed a wee!), and home after 4 hours.

monday night, I had pain and couldn't sleep, but since then I wouldn't say that I've had any pain at all, just discomfort.

i could lie on my side after the first night, and yesterday I walked a mile (had to pick the kids up from school).

i can eat anything (and believe me, I have!).  I had a bit of trouble with passing urine originally - but nothing major, just waiting for the anaesthetic drugs to leave my system I think.

Never had any nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea.

i now have spectacular bruises - really impressive, but not at all painful.  Some swelling - again, not painful, but my clothes don't fit! And my stitches are itchy.  But basically I feel fine now, and if the doctors would let me go back to work on Monday I would do.  But they said minimum of two weeks off.

everyone is different though.  And I'm relatively young and healthy going into this, no other problems.  But don't worry - that won't change anything!  I'm sur they will look after you really well, and you'll have support afterwards as well.

• Posted

Well I've had my surgery 24 hours ago... no complications thank goodness - but feel like I've done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.. lol..

On a serious note, all went well, was in surgery for just over 2 hours - and was home by 7pm last night. Had the worse sleep ever with pain & headache but think that's down to the carbon dioxide they pump you up with... also had leaky dressing but that's now stopped. So considering it's on 24 hours ago I feel ok... just very sore.x

• Posted

Glad your surgery went well.  Please give yourself time to rest and heal!  Your body needs time to sort itself, and remember you've had major surgery!

Please let us know how you get on! xxx

• Posted

Lol yes it is a bit like that. Glad there wasn't any complications. As Lynda said remember to rest as much as you can and don't over do it.

Keep your fluids up and when your ready eat little amounts. 

Let us know how your doing x

• Posted

Really pleased it went well and hope you recover soon. I'm in on the3rd so very nervous x x

• Posted

Thank you TL... you will be fine I promise you. Just take it easy when you come home, you will be very sore, but that's to be expected after major surgery. Good luck & post your updates on her xxx

• Posted

I'm guessing you've had your op now, so I hope it all went well, and I hope you're feeling ok. Xx

• Posted

Thanks Rachel, all went well, just feel really really sore now. Looking forward to no more gallbladder pain and nausea! xxx
    • Posted

Glad to hear you're doing OK.

the no gallbladder pain is just bliss!

• Posted

It's marvellous! No gallbladder pain, but I've developed hot flushes now... dont know if anyone else on here has suffered with these?? It's a blooming nightmare - I'm having them about every 2-3 hours, especially after eating. It's really uncomfortable 😕 Help! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.