Any good news stories after Gallbladder removal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I'm due for surgery in 36 hours and was feeling quite positive about it all. I have to say though that after looking on this forum there have been some really poorly people after their surgery. Is this the norm? I was feeling ok till I read all this.... now feeling apprehensive & slightly nervous. Are there any good news stories? x

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi snigger, hope you're recovering well. I had my op about 15 hours ago. I'm very sore and can't lie on my side, I'm also finding it very sore when I try to lie down flat or breathe in deep but I guess this all to be expected and is managed fine with pain killers. I've been kept in overnight (not sure if this is the norm when done privately) but am fine eating a little and drinking, I've been sooo thirsty since having it done. When I had my last gallstone attack I was hospitalised for a week and couldn't eat or drink at all (cue lots of drips). One thing I have found though is in the last hour or so I'm itching like crazy, it's driving me nuts!

It's interesting to read about cutting out gluten and dairy post op, I'm going to looking more into that. Moving forward I'm so looking forward to have a stone free future! smile

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi there louisella, hope you are feeling a little bit better. The first few hours/days are the worst, so painful. I'm on day 4 now, still very very sore & bruised but trying to move round as much as I can, but at the same time taking it easy and taking naps when I feel like. Sleeping at night has got better, think I've got used to sleeping on my back! I'm dying to curl up on my right side though but that will have to wait 😊 My friend who is a district nurse called in yesterday to check my dressings and changed them for me also. I'm just eating small bits and pieces at the moment as it's trial & error what upsets me, so just going with the flow and will keep a food diary once the initial effects have worn off so I know what to avoid. I hope you make a speedy recovery and keep posting your progress - take care and no rushing.. these things take time xxxx

• Posted

Hi Smigger, I'm doing ok thanks. I was allowed home yesterday so it's nice getting some tlc from hubby and that cats (although have to stop them trying to jump on my stomach...the cats that is..not hubby! smile )

Like you, I feel very sore and like I've done about 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, stupidly I never expected it to feel this sore but I think that was more being naive (and hopeful!). Hope you're doing ok today, take care xxx

• Posted

Awww... glad your all sorted and back home for some TLC... make the most of it and don't rush yourself. I'm still very sore but know it's normal.... I'm eating small meals with minimal fat content as I've had bouts of nausea so just keeping eye on it. I've also started having hot flushes.. What's that all about...? haha... finished with them years ago.. lol... Anyway, take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery xxxx

• Posted

Hello just wondering how you are all doing ?

I'm on count down until I go in so trying to understand how I may feel and what is "normal"! I have 3 boys so trying to prepare them and work out what I may be able to do when.

Hope the itching improved louisella?

Take care

• Posted

Hi Tigerlilly - when is your op? I think 'normal' is different for everyone you know.. but from reading other people's experiences on here, I'd be inclined to say once you've had your op REST REST REST as much as you can. Go with what your body is telling you. My main issues are I'm still very very sore all through my front from under my chest to my belly button.. caused by both the incisions and the surgery (bruising and tenderness) Im only 4 days post op. The CO2 gas they inflate you with is awful, it's only residue gas but lurks for a couple of days and really hurts, but it is only temporary. My diet is hit & miss at the moment - appetite seems better today and I've not had diarrhea but that might be because I'm watching what I'm eating. I'm sleeping OK but desperately want to sleep on my right side but I can't for now so do my best on my back... I've had a few naps on the sofa with my duvet which has been very restful and relaxing. If there's any questions you want specifically answering, please just ask.... take care & good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi Tigerlilly. I had my surgery a week ago and as I found out you'll find that everyones experience is different. I was very sore and on pain killers for 5 days. I was very tired and had to nap. I think the pain pills made me more tired. Eating wasnt a problem for me so long as i ate small amounts of food i could eat before i had surgery. Now what is discouraging to me is that the pain is no longer from surgery but feels as it felt before surgery but not half as bad but still. Hoping that it is just my body adjusting to not having a gallbladder. Remember to get plenty of rest and not to pick anything up over 10 lbs. I hope you have help to watch your boys and cook for them etc because you don't need to be doing those things. You may feel better by the third day and feel like you can get up and do things but don't be tempted. Take time to rest and heal your body. As for the surgery itself everything went great I remember them start to wheel me to the OR then waking up in recovery. No big deal. I'm sure everything will go well for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you my parents are going to be around to help with kids and dog but not sure how long they will cope with them for. I'm sort of hoping after s week I can make meals etc. But won't be working so plenty of rest in between. But will have to see.

I'm in on Monday not sure what time yet. I've never had an op before so terrified of whole process and pain and wound management. I feel really panicky about it all. I think if I knew it would solve the pain and I can eat normally eventually I would cope better but reading on here I'm realising that may not be the reality.

My brother gets married 10 days post op but family meal and a small ceremony so just hope I can cope with that ?

Thank you for replying I'm feeling very isolated and this is helping.

Hope you are taking it easy x

• Posted

I think that after a week, you'll be able to make simple meals.  If you have a lap procedure you'll only have small external incisions, but remember that it's major surgery, and you will definitely need time to heal.  The surgery isn't too bad for most people.  If you're worried, though, make sure to let the hospital staff know so they can reassure you.  

Then, your body will need to adjust to not having a gallbladder.  It's a gradual process, and you may find that you won't be able to eat things you used to eat, but can eat things that used to make you ill.  Everyone is different, and so their experience is different, too.  You'll be healthier without your diseased gallbladder, though! xxx

• Posted

hi Tigerlilly, like others have said, there doesn't seem to be a set normal as it'll affct people differently. For me, my appetite has been absolutely fine and so far no issues on that front. It's good that your parents will be around to help as you will definitely need to take it easy for the first week at least I should imagine. I had my op on Monday and am struggling to bend down - i can move around but very gingerly.

Re the op itselfm I know it's easy to say but please don't worry. I was given the anaesthetic and then asked to count down from 10, I felt completely wide awake but don't think I made it past 7! Then when I came round I honestly thought I'd been asleep for about 5 mins and even asked the nurse if they'd actually done the op as I didn't think I was out that long. 

Re the itching, it has now pretty much stopped thankfully! I was given Tramadol as a pain killer and they think it may have been a reaction to that 

xxx

• Posted

Don't be scared iv had mine 4 days ago yes pain discomfort and lots of constipation vomiting few times but this I'm sure will all wear off given time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.